My Decision time is taking forver

aliwa

Registered Users (C)
I dont want to bore you guys. I interviewed for my asylum on 7/31/08. The year 2008 is now gone and we are starting 2009. my decision has been pending for 5 months. Are these people fair or this is the case when one is in status. am just wondering why take this long yet others get decision in weeks.

it took my bro 11 months to receive final decision on asylum from asylum office. this is due to name check.

Dear Friend, I do not mean to discourage you but, be patience. You can apply for work permit now (EAD). Even if you get EAD that is not bad at all, unless you have reasons. deadline.
One thing that is very helpful is, go visit the asylum office where you were interviewed and ask them about the pending case. Usually asylum offices have at least one day a week, allocated for walk in people who want to know about their cases.

Write the respective Asylum office a letter to enquire why its taking for long.My case was 3 weeks late and i remember writing them a letter and within 3 days of posting my letter,they sent me my approval letter.You will be shocked to find out that your approval letter is sitting in someone's desk

Just give it a try it wont hurt.It will show your initiative in following up your case.All the best man.

Give us an update if they respond ,but they always respond to let you know whats going on with your case, but remeber to put your A#.

ALIWA, ur decision is short not long compared to what many other's situation.
If you applied for asylum with IO and you are in legal status, they don't mail u decision until your legal status expires, most other reason is the name check delay.
my bro applied for asylum in early dec of 2007 and got aproval in oct 2008.

so he waited 11 months.
be patient!

Thanks to you all, I should be getting my EAD soon.
Jonny1, My F1 visa expires in 2011 but I will keep on changing majors cause I dont want to get out of status. You mean to tell me they can waight for 3.5 yrs to give a decision. My wife is doing Nursing and may be then she will be in line for green card.
I guess will write to them again.

Johnny1 the information you are providing is not accurate,They dont wait till your status expires,they give you the decision when its ready,if the name check is done two weeks after the interview ,you get the decision.he decision is not at all based on your legal status,So like i said write to the IO and find out what is going on with your case,

@ Zimbabwe, thanks
I have read from other participants who got decisions before their visas expired. Its just frustrating waiting for 6 months or more to get a decision. I wrote to them and the reply was that the decision was still pending. I hear some cases take yrs to be decided.

bottom line is i know 3 people who got asylum from io and waited between 9 to 12 months, so 6 month is not long.

it took my bro 11 months to receive final decision on asylum from asylum office. this is due to name check.

I'm in the same situation waiting for the name check (FBI) to get the final approval... I was wondering... how do they check? I mean "in addition to their database" do they use internet too in checking my name? facebook, Hi5 accounts? :p

If so I will delete them at once to make their search easy :D
I use my complete name in Facebook and I have friends in it "are they checked too?"... :cool:

it's just that they are slow in that , also if ur name is very popular or similar to many others from certain countries, it takes longer. it is very fraustating to be waiting for decisions.I read that the wait for such will be like a month or two very soon.

This makes me nervous... I wait for the postman everyday... hoping.... :( for 6 months ... more or less...

Last edited by a moderator:
I have been waiting for name check for more than six months now. jonny1 where did you read about a month or two?

and the frustrating thing that after 1 year when applying for the Green Card, the name check story is done again ............ like they didn't do it 12 months earlier !!

@someone2007
Did you get a recomended approval or. did you get approval from an IO or IJ.
I have gotten nothing and its now 6 months.

@someone2007
Did you get a recomended approval or. did you get approval from an IO or IJ.
I have gotten nothing and its now 6 months.

Interviewed April 2007
Recommended Approval May 2007
Final Approval August 2008 ( 10 days after the second finger print)