My citizenship Interview at Newark NJ on April 30th.

ikazmi

Registered Users (C)
My interview was scheduled at 10:12 in the morning

I reached there at 9:30. It took 15 minutes to go through the security at the entrance.

Reached inside the room at 9:45.

I was called at 10:20. Here is my experience:

I was asked to keep standing and raise my right hand

My current address was verified.

My employment and job title was verified.

I had missed out one of the YES/NO questions. I was asked to fill that out.

Then I was asked to produce my marriage certificate. I answered that I was not under US spouse category but this was the reply I got “All the married applicants should be ready to provide their marriage certificates”

I luckily had mine. It was in 2 languages. I told her that I do not have the translated notarized copy, she replied “As long as it is in English and I can understand it, it’s ok”

Then she asked me why I was out for 333 days in a single trip. I replied “I was out for education. I had to complete 2 semesters of my MBA studies. She replied “That’s O.K”

Then I was asked 6 questions on US history, a sentence to read and write.

She asked my height and weight.

Then she asked me to sign on the last page of MY N400. One signature for completing the interview and the other one for Oath.

Then finally she replied. “Congratulations you passed”. Make sure you come back and take the oath at 2:00 PM.

At 2:00 PM the room was totally packed. Half of the people were waiting for Oath and the other half were there for their interviews.

At 2: 30 they started calling people who had the interview early in the morning to sign on the certificate.

The oath ceremony started at 4:00 PM. All the people who were interviewed until 3:30 were given the opportunity to appear in the oath the same day.

There were around 300 new citizens. Overall it was a grand ceremony. It was worth waiting…

Good luck to all those who are waiting…………The best part of living in NJ is having the opportunity to take the oath same day oath

Congratulations :) Sounds like your interview went pretty smoothly.

Can you please post your timeline. Also, did you apply for naturalization yourself or did you use a lawyer?

Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
gabby2001

My timeline (Newark NJ),

Priority Date: May 14, 2002

FP: August 23, 2002

Interview: March 26th, rescheduled

Interview: April 30, 2003

Oath: April 30, 2003

The form is very simple and straight forward and you can fill it on your own.

I made a mistake of doing it through an attorney. At the time of interview I found 4-5 major mistakes on my form, which my interviewer asked to rectify.

Hope it helps.
All the best..