My child does not have a passport. Can I apply for H1B visa?

tunali2

Hi to all,

I applied for H1B visa this year. I have 2 kids and my 2-year old baby does not have a passport, only a birth certificate. I can't get a passport for him because of political reasons (government oppression to the social group that I belong to). If I'm selected in the H1B lottery, what would happen to my son? Can the US embassy provide him with a document to be able to travel to the US?

I have been living abroad for many years now. Until recently, we were receiving consular services from our embassy just fine. Then our government started persecuting a specific civil society which I belong to and our embassy stopped offering us consular services. Therefore, the rest of the family have their passports while my youngest one which was also born abroad couldn't receive a passport. I only have a birth certificate for him.

As far as I know the US cannot issue travel documents to non citizens/LPRs or non RTDs (which you can only get from in the US). To be honest if you present this problem in the US embassy they may refuse your visa for fear you will claim asylum once there due to it. It seems a possible catch-22 for you. Is there a possibility of a RTD from the country you are currently residing in?

I understand your point. But the thing is, the embassies in the US still provide consular services. But in so many other countries including the one I live in, they do not. So if I get to the US, I'll actually be able to get my child a visa. But you have a point. They may refuse it thinking that I might seek asylum. Getting an RTD from the country I currently reside in is possible but not preferable. Seeking asylum in any country including the US is the last resort for me. I'd much rather stay with a work permit such as H1B.

THis is a tough one.
What are the chances the other passports you hold haven't been declared invalid?

Did you not know about this issue before the birth?

Confirming the US only issues transportation letters for permanent residents (citizens get replacement passports), so that’s not an option for you.

I understand your point. But the thing is, the embassies in the US still provide consular services. But in so many other countries including the one I live in, they do not. So if I get to the US, I'll actually be able to get my child a visa. But you have a point. They may refuse it thinking that I might seek asylum. Getting an RTD from the country I currently reside in is possible but not preferable. Seeking asylum in any country including the US is the last resort for me. I'd much rather stay with a work permit such as H1B.

Well
Of course all of this still needs you to be selected in the lottery. If you are it seems your path is to go first by yourself, get your kid a passport from the embassy that still provides consular services in the US, and courier it to your wife who can then go with the kids to the US embassy in your current county of residence to get H4s for everyone.

First things first.. hope and pray for selection in the lottery, have everything processed, hope for a visa approval. Then worry about this. This all assuming your passport is valid.