My baltimore interview experience

Earthangel1

Registered Users (C)
I went for my citizenship interview yesterday. I had thought and thought about this day before and the experience was nothing like l had anticipated.My app was at 10 in the morning. I got there at about 9:20 to my surprise the place was already packed. My understanding was that people that were not necessary for the process should not be there but that was not the case. The place was packed and kids were playing everywhere. I thought this was kind of comforting it made the place look not to serious. Anyways after waiting for over an hour my name was finally called out. The officer said good morning and directed me to her office and said nothing more. She made take the oath and went thru the application fairly quickly. I got my green card in 2004 through marriage but divorced last yr.Long story. She asked when we were separated and l said 2007. She asked for my divorce decree which l provided and then she asked for my petition for divorce which l did not have because the letter did not ask for a petition it asked for a decree or divorce certificate. After the whole process she told me l had passed all the civic test but she needed me to provide the petition l filed for divorce and then she would let me the decision.

Has anyone had a similar experience?

I mailed the petition to her today priority mail so she should have it by Monday and l guess we will see

Thank you for the well wishes. I hope everything will go smoothly its now a a waiting game and l guess most poeple understand how waiting for an answer can be a pain.

My advice for people that are having interviews is to relax ...relax...and take as much info as you can so as to avoind delaying the process .

I am still interested to hear other people 's expereince who had to provide additional documents and how long it took to get an answer??

Thank you

I mailed the petition to her today priority mail so she should have it by Monday and l guess we will see

Make sure you have the receipt (preferably from USCIS DO especiallythe IO) of delieveray of yoru priority mail
in case. Some DOs they only accept additional documents thru infopass appoinemnt

Yes l kept the receipt. She did ask me specifically to mail it. I would have prefered to take it in myself....hoping that would speed up the process.

She asked for my divorce decree which l provided and then she asked for my petition for divorce which l did not have because the letter did not ask for a petition it asked for a decree or divorce certificate. After the whole process she told me l had passed all the civic test but she needed me to provide the petition l filed for divorce and then she would let me the decision.

This is the first I'm reading of anybody having to produce the divorce petition in addition to the divorce decree.

I went for my citizenship interview yesterday. I had thought and thought about this day before and the experience was nothing like l had anticipated.My app was at 10 in the morning. I got there at about 9:20 to my surprise the place was already packed. My understanding was that people that were not necessary for the process should not be there but that was not the case. The place was packed and kids were playing everywhere. I thought this was kind of comforting it made the place look not to serious. Anyways after waiting for over an hour my name was finally called out. The officer said good morning and directed me to her office and said nothing more. She made take the oath and went thru the application fairly quickly. I got my green card in 2004 through marriage but divorced last yr.Long story. She asked when we were separated and l said 2007. She asked for my divorce decree which l provided and then she asked for my petition for divorce which l did not have because the letter did not ask for a petition it asked for a decree or divorce certificate. After the whole process she told me l had passed all the civic test but she needed me to provide the petition l filed for divorce and then she would let me the decision.

My friend gave the IO the divorce petition that IO asked for after her interview. During the interview she gave the IO her divorce decree, but she didn't have her divorce petition at that time. She went to her divorce lawyer to get copies of her divorce petition and she gave it to the USCIS office in Baltimore. After three months, she got an oath and became a US citizen. You have nothing to worry about. You will be approved unless your case is not straightforward.

I wanted to do an infopass to check on my status and l noticed that it said it has to be 45 days ....its been about a month since my interview. On the letter the IO gave me it said if they dont hear from me by the 2OTH OF Feb they would close the application. I have not heard back from them since then so is it a good idea to do an infopass to check if they got the stuff and status before the 45days???? Are they strict about the 45day rule?

I wanted to do an infopass to check on my status and l noticed that it said it has to be 45 days

If you do want an infopass, ignore that 45 days limitation. It does not matter why and how you make an infopass appointment,
when you show up there and give your case number, they will usually look into it. If you use excuse A to make an infopass
appointment but at infopass you told them you come under excuse B, no one cares.

It seems it does not matter either if you do not cancel yoru infopass appoinment if you do not go

Last edited by a moderator:
Did the officer test you on the speaking writing and civic test or just say you passed with out testing you?

Rule abou camera cell phone in Baltimore DO

Hi Earthangel1
Congrats for the OL. I've my N-400 interview scheduled at Baltimore DO next Monday, March 15. Will you please let me know if they allow cell phone with camera inside?
Thanks.

RC66

N-400 Receipt Date: Nov 23, 2009
FP: Dec 23, 2009
Interview schedule: Feb 10, 2010 [cancelled due to snow storm]
Re-scheduled interview: March 15, 2010

She tested me on everything.

I got my oath letter today!!

Thanks everyone for all your help.

Hi Earthangel1
Congrats for the OL. I've my N-400 interview scheduled at Baltimore DO next Monday, March 15. Will you please let me know if they allow cell phone with camera inside?
Thanks.

RC66

N-400 Receipt Date: Nov 23, 2009
FP: Dec 23, 2009
Interview schedule: Feb 10, 2010 [cancelled due to snow storm]
Re-scheduled interview: March 15, 2010

Yes they do. My phone had a camera. No one said anything. Good Luck!

I am planning to apply for my N400 at the Baltimore office.
I have been a LPR since 2002 through a marriage to my USC spouse. We applied for CR removal before we separated. It was a bonafide marriage but things didnt go well, to keep it brief. That was in early 2004. No interview was called and our case was approved based on the evidences sent. We divorced 16 months later and I remarried 3 months after my divorce was final.

Unfortunately, I lost some of the evidences like our leases etc but I still have financial statement and a copy of statement from my former employer I have life insurance (employment sponsored) with my ex-spouse as the beneficiary at the time.
Do I expect a barrage of questions on my former marriage? I am presently married to another USC.

I am including the following:

1. divorce decree
2. Ten year tax transcript (with my ex- spouse and present spouse)
3. Explanation on Part 10D - I worked illegally before I got my EAD and I also had a warning ticket- Wrote yes for offense and citation.

Is anyone in the same shoes?

Will they look at at from the technical remarriage immediately after divorce or based on the earlier evidence of bonafide marriage?

Update:

My interview was yesterday at the Baltimore USCIS office. It was the easiest interview I ever had.
The IO was very pleasant, she only asked for my present marriage license and my case was approved within 10 minutes. All the time spent to go through my N-400 and on my civic was about 10 Minutes. I was ready with my divorce petition but it was never asked
I was sworn in later at 3pm yesterday and I am now a US citizen. Thanks for all your support.

So Happy for you, anon295,
Congratulations!!! Good Luck to the rest of us here who are waiting to become U.S. citizens!!!
Update:

My interview was yesterday at the Baltimore USCIS office. It was the easiest interview I ever had.
The IO was very pleasant, she only asked for my present marriage license and my case was approved within 10 minutes. All the time spent to go through my N-400 and on my civic was about 10 Minutes. I was ready with my divorce petition but it was never asked
I was sworn in later at 3pm yesterday and I am now a US citizen. Thanks for all your support.