My AR-11 saga (May be reason for my 485 delay)

amit123

Here is a little background. My 485 was filed in mid March'02. I moved and changed my address in Oct'03. After my move I informed INS over the phone and also submitted AR-11 to DHS(Dept. Of Homeland Security) within 10 days.INS updated my address immediately and all my subsequent docs came to my new address(FP,AP,EAD etc etc.).

After moving I did my 2nd FP at new location in Feb'04

Here is what I found today. While I was going thru my pile of papers and collecting all GC docs, I found a letter from DHS(Dept. Of Homeland Security). It was dated March'04. One side of the letter has AR-11 form and the other side has a letter addressed to me with the following(I am just writing the relevant portion of it):
"Your local USCIS notified us of your change of address. In order to completely process your change of address with DHS, you must submit AR-11 form and mail to the following address - (DHS address)..blah blah blah..
Please disregard this notice if you have submitted an AR-11 form to DHS/USCIS since March 10'2004"

I ignored that letter since I already submitted my AR-11 just after the move in Oct'03. But now its hitting my mind that somehow they might have misplaced it - or I am misunderstanding their letter.May be I should have sent AR-11 again. :confused:

SHOULD I SEND DHS AR-11 AGAIN?I DONT HAVE A COPY OF THE LAST AR-11 I SENT THEM.OR ITS THEIR FAUX PAS. I DONT LIKE SNAFU AT THE LAST MOMENT. BUT SENDING IT AGAIN MAY BACKFIRE??? Shoot...........

Today I was trying to think what I did wrong. Why they touched my case but did not approve. I was trying to find the logic. I know INS may not follow any logic, but I still think they dont approve if all is not clear.

I called them last week just to confirm again my address. They said if you have received your last FP notice to new address, and did not change your address after that - you are fine.

But what about DHS?? They might be messing up my application.

If anybody has similar experience and case is still pending - pls let me know

There are so many March,02 applicants are waiting for approvals. Even Jan02, Feb02 people are waiting for approvals. Regarding INS notice, I think is regular type of notice. Normally it's better to send AR-11 by certified mail. I don't think AR-11 is going to delay your I485. If you did not send last AR-11 by certified last time, there is no harm if you send them new AR-11 again.

The letter clearly states that if you have already filed your AR-11 form, ignore this letter.

We also got the same letter and ignored it. We got approved last week, so nothing to worry about.

royamit

I changed my address 1 1/2 years after I filed my 485. I sent my AR-11 form by certified mail. So I have a proof of signature for my AR-11 form. All I can do now is just wait anxiously and hope that USCIS did not screw up. Looks like from what gracious says, this should not be an issue.

-fb-

Donot worry!, Lots of Feb/March cases are still pending. You should worry if you were a 2001 case.
Cassidy,
Tel# is listed in BCIS website, when you login to check your status.

it should be fine.

I got the same letter as yours. Though I indeed sent AR-11 long time back (within 10 days of moving), for the safe side, I filled out that form and sent it again with a letter explaining why I sent it again( in case the original letter was lost on the road and didn't make it into DHS).

2 months later I got RFE asking for regular stuff.

In retrospect, I wish I sent the first AR-11 using certified mail or registered mail. But I don't really think this poses a big problem for us.

I have already sent in my AR-11 within 10 days of my move. Recently, I have received the following letter from USCIS. I wonder what the following letter
mail/letter means?

Should I re-send a copy of my AR-11 to the DHS again? Also, notice that in the letter, DHS/USCIS are mentioned in the same breath.

My understanding was that I need to call up USCIS to update my address, at some point of time.

The letter from USCIS states the following:

<quote>

Dear Addressee:

We received notification that you address has changed. If that is
incorrect, please contact the Service Center immediately.

If your address has changed, you must also complete an AR-11 Change of
Address form and mail it to the following address in order for us to
completely process your address change:

Department of Homeland Security
Change of Address
P.O. Box 7134
London, KY 40742-7134

An AR-11 form has been provided on the reverse of this letter for your
convenience. Where possible, please provide an A-number (from your
alien card) or other identifying numbers. You must complete the Form
AR-11 and mail it to the above London, KY address. Failure to complete
all applicable sections may delay processing of the form.

Please disregard this notice if you have submitted an AR-11 from to
DHS/United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) with
your current address.

You may obtain additional copies of the AR-11 form on our web site at
<http://www.uscis.gov> or by contacting National Customer Service
Center at (800) 375-5283.

Thank You.

Sincerely,

California Service Center
United States Citizenship and Immigration Services

</quote>

krishnakt said:
I have already sent in my AR-11 within 10 days of my move. Recently, I have received the following letter from USCIS. I wonder what the following letter
mail/letter means?

Should I re-send a copy of my AR-11 to the DHS again? Also, notice that in the letter, DHS/USCIS are mentioned in the same breath.

My understanding was that I need to call up USCIS to update my address, at some point of time.

The letter from USCIS states the following:

<quote>

Dear Addressee:

We received notification that you address has changed. If that is
incorrect, please contact the Service Center immediately.

If your address has changed, you must also complete an AR-11 Change of
Address form and mail it to the following address in order for us to
completely process your address change:

Department of Homeland Security
Change of Address
P.O. Box 7134
London, KY 40742-7134

An AR-11 form has been provided on the reverse of this letter for your
convenience. Where possible, please provide an A-number (from your
alien card) or other identifying numbers. You must complete the Form
AR-11 and mail it to the above London, KY address. Failure to complete
all applicable sections may delay processing of the form.

Please disregard this notice if you have submitted an AR-11 from to
DHS/United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) with
your current address.

You may obtain additional copies of the AR-11 form on our web site at
<http://www.uscis.gov> or by contacting National Customer Service
Center at (800) 375-5283.

Thank You.

Sincerely,

California Service Center
United States Citizenship and Immigration Services

</quote>

Which address did you send the form the first time? USCIS and DHS does seem to be connected on address change issue. I sent AR11 and then I called customer service to verify my address. They again took my information and updated USCIS records. She said I should call them to change the address even if I have submitted the AR11.

user_9999 said:
Which address did you send the form the first time? USCIS and DHS does seem to be connected on address change issue. I sent AR11 and then I called customer service to verify my address. They again took my information and updated USCIS records. She said I should call them to change the address even if I have submitted the AR11.

I sent it to the following address (given on the AR-11)

U.S. Department of Homeland Security
Bureau of Citizenship and Immigration Services,
Change of Address,
P.O. Box 7134
London, KY 40742-7134.

Well, anyways, I will call the 800 number tomorrow and update my address.

Thanks