My analysis about FOIPA and name Check. bottomline: DON'T FILE FOIPA

Steve_Houston

Registered Users (C)
Shanta Wadi said:
I have a question regarding FBI name check request.

I just applied for Naturalization and my check is cleared yesterday.

I have read Rahul Kumar post and will be filing FOIPA request early next week. I understand that it takes two/three weeks to get response.

Hi Shanta;

Based on my experince, my advise to you NOT to file a FOIPA request. you will get nothing from it and it may delay your name check process. This is based on my analysis and endless research. I may be wrong, but here is what I think;

1- When you sumbit a FOIPA request, you may cause delays to your name check process, not spead it up. If your name is not in any records in FBI databases, the name check request will return no record and will be processed in the SAME DAY it is submitted by a COMPUTER SYSTEM without intervention from an FBI analyst (provided you name is not similar to somebody in one of the databases). If you submit a FOIPA (and this is my own interpretation and assumption) your name may get to one of the these databases (assuming they keep a record of each FBI FOIPA request), Then the Master Indexer will index this record increasing the probability of your name getting a hit during the name check request. Now, your name check may take up to six months or more to be processed by an human FBI analyst.

2- FOIPA will benefit you in nothing, absolutely nothing at this stage. I don't really beleive it helped anybody now, even senators and congeressmans now know very well what a FOIPA is and how it is not relevant to name check. So it will not speed anything. I filed a FOIPA in the same time when I sent my N400 seven months ago. I strongly beleive that screwed myself because I did my interview three month ago and my name check is still pending. a Name check was done to me 3 years ago, and 1 years and it was finished in the same day.

At this stage. Just set tight and wait for the interview, interact with CIS regarding your case. After you do the interview, if your name check is still pending, then start following up. But even then, that will not help, because there are thousands of people following up, filing FOIPA, etc.

Hope that will help
Steve