Mumbai H1B stamping experience

whatsinaname0

Registered Users (C)
All,

Here's a brief overview of my H1B visa stamping experience at the Mumbai consulate on June 28, 2006.

My interview slot was for 8:15am. I reached Lincoln House around 7 am. After showing my appointment letter, I was let in at 7:30 am. Security check was smooth as all I had were papers, papers and more papers + a wallet. After security check, I handed over my passport and I-797 (please note that once you are inside, ask someone which is the non-immigrant line...I was sitting in the immigrant section for quite a while before I realized my folly).

For those of you who took the DS-156 photos in Walmart or Walgreens (in the US), those photos may not be accpetable as they are deemed "too dark" for the system. Strange that the consulate waited 5 months without saying anything (I had submitted those mandatory 6-7 docs at the end of Jan) and then sprang this surprise on me on the day of the interview. But thankfully, they have a photo service inside the consulate and although you have to leave the line to get the photo, you do not have to get back in line once the photo has been taken...you can directly approach the person who asked to get your photos and then move on to the fingerprinting. Once that is done, you are issued the pink token and you wait in line.

Now's when your listening skills come in handy. You have to carefully listen for your number being called over the wall of noise that engulfs the room.

When my turn came, the officer just asked me for a short description of what my company does (mine is a Fortune 500 firm) and then told me my visa would be couriered to me.

Thanks to all who post here and I wish you all best of luck in getting your visas. I will check these posts for the next couple of days so if you have any questions please let me know.

Hi whatsinaname0,

I am currently in US working for Employer "A" and shall be going back to India in a month(By July2006). Future Employer "B" in US has filed H1 Petition & I have received the approval notice also. I have my H1 interview scheduled in October in Mumbai center.
Future Employer "B" will not be paying for my "India to US" trip expenses.
My Question is-
In form DS-156, there is a Question (No.28) Who is going to pay for your trip?
If the answer is "MYSELF", would it cause any problems like delay/refusal etc? What kind of documents would be required to support this answer to have successful H1visa stamping?
Appreciate your advice.

I wrote 'Self' for the question 'Who will pay for your trip?'. As long as you have a hefty bank statement you should not have problems with that question.