mumbai cp success

haymyth

Registered Users (C)
Medicals: 16 Dec '02 @ Breach Candy
Interview: 13 Dec '02
DOE : 14 Jan '03 @ Chicago

Medicals at Breach Candy were ok...there were about 35 people scheduled that day.. registered at 7.30 AM and were out by 3 PM
We had vaccination records for MMR so that got waived. But we had to take the DT booster shot...made us feel feverish for the next couple of days. The general experience was good but had to wait long between the blood sample, check up and the vaccination.

The interview was scheduled at 9.30 ..were called for document collection at 12.30. The interview itself was very simple...just one question about where I worked. Only documents asked for were..

For Primary applicant:

Passport
Notarized employment letter
PCC - original
Birth Certificate copy
Marriage Certificate Copy
3 immigration style color photos (signed on 2 at the window)

For Spouse:

Passport
PCC - original
Birth Certificate Copy
Marriage Certificate Copy
affidavit of support I-134 - Notarized original
3 immigration style color photos (signed on 2 at the window)

***folks, dont worry so much about the order..when you go to the window, they ask for whatever they need in the order they need it and give you enough time. ***

The consular officer cancelled our existing visas and asked us to pick up the IV approval packets at 3:30.. Collected the packets at about 4:45 and we were done.. Sigh of relief!!

During our departure, at the immigration in Mumbai, the officer asked us for the IT clearance.. We had not applied for it, and told him so.. Mentioned that we had not worked in India, so had not filed taxes there to get any clearance.. Also told him that nobody had told us to have this document.. After dicussing for a couple more minutes, he let us go..

We were asked to show the IV packets at the immigration counter in Mumbai and then at Milan before boarding.

At Chicago, there were no clear directions for where to submit the docs.. There was a line for the New immigrants, in which we stood for about 10-15 minutes.. Then someone mentioned that you have to see an officer first, so we went into another line.. When we reached the window, the packets and passport for the both of us were collected and sent over to the officer at the new immigrants window.. He told us that he would call us once he was
ready to work on our case.. There were a whole bunch of cases in front of him.. After about 30 minutes, he called us.. He simply asked us to sign the form and finger-printed us..

He stamped our passports with the temporary visa valid for one year..That was it!!

Please let us know if you have any questions.

Thank you immigration boards and all the fellow cpers for their inputs and all the best !!

Congrats dude, I'm glad things worked out nice and smooth for you. Here's small question for, what do you mean by affidavit of support I-134 - Notarized original is this some kind of form that I need to fill or is it something that I need to apply for? Or is this part of Packet 4 sent by the consulate.

Thanks for your help and time.

Congratualtions haymyth....

Do you have any idea how long it takes to receive your Plasctic Card after POE at Chicago.

TeeRoy: You need to download the form I-134 (get it from immi-help.com) and fill it and get it notarized. This is kind of Affidavit of Support.

Thanks

Teeroy and dineshgk, Thanks for your wishes.

Teeroy, dinesh has already answered your question. It is the form required for all the dependents (1 each for spouse & kids). It needs to be filled out & notarized.

dinesh, I am expecting the plastic cards in abt 4-6 weeks after DOE. We hope to hear about that from Bapa first as he entered about 2 weeks before me and had the same POE-Chicago.

Good luck!!

Hello Haymyth,

Thanks for a prompt response.

One more question..... Well someone in the thread... Bapa or Bsoni or whom I dont remember had suggested that Mumbai consulate are very particular about your handbag to carry in at the time of interview.

So someone had suggested to take some sort of a specific folder. Did you encouter such experience... What did you take along.

Thanks,

OfficeMax Carry File with 21 pockets

dineshgk,

Go to officeMax.com

Click the following Links:
Supplies > File Folders & Accessories > Expanding Files & Wallets

Click on OfficeMAx Carry File to view the product which is priced for only $9.99 with free delivery in 1 day.

Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hello CpDelhi,

I went to Walmart and there were a lot of Folders. But I think we need to get a Folder which has no metal in it and i guess it should be transparent too.....

But anyway I shall also check OfficeMax.

congratulations buddy !

even i cleared my immigration interview on Jan 15. ( i had posted my experience on a seperate thread ), however i am still in India and will be returning in first week of Feb.

I have one question, consulate did give me the immigration packets with one corner cut. However, there was nothing attached in my passport ( like during H1B the consulate attached the VISA ). Is this the case normally ....

Good luck, Ranen..I am sure it it will be a breeze!! keep us posted.

bsoni, yes, the immigrant packets are cut at one corner, the page on top of the packet is your visa.. you dont have anything attached/marked in your passport saying that u have an immigrant visa. You will need to show the packet every time you board a plane on your journey back.

others, hand bags/purses for ladies are not allowed inside the consulate... we carried our folders in a plastic shopping bag.
they check you for cellphones/walkman/CDs at the consulate.. a newspaper/magazine might be a safe bet to kill time.

The folders we had were simple transparent colored folders you get at officemax..and any other place in the stationary dept. They have a flap that closes with a press button. The documents were held together using large u-clips.

hope this is helpful...

I would be having POE as Chicago because I am flying Air India... But I am from detroit... So would I be considere POE Chicago or Detroit to get the Card.