Multiple TNs - documentation required

Snowgoose

Registered Users (C)
Hi all,

I'm looking for help with finding USCIS documentation that supports the legality of holding two simultaneous TNs with separate employers.

A fairly extensive search of the USCIS has not located the document, although I'm sure it's there somewhere.

I was denied at San Ysidro yesterday while attempting to replace one of my two TNs that will expire in 4 days. The denial was based on the premise that "I am not allowed or required to hold two TNs" despite the fact that I was issued a second TN at THAT VERY DESK 6 months earlier.

Clearly this is an issue of misunderstanding on his part but in order to justify taking another flight to a POE I want to have hard copies of that information on hand.

any help would be much appreciated.

-So Frustrated in San Francisco
aka Brady

Last edited by a moderator:
Nafta handbook November 1999 (kept at all POEs)

Section 5, page 138:
(8) Request for change/additions of U.S. employers. A Canadian citizen may change or add employers while in the U.S. through the filing of Form I-129 at the Nebraska Service Center. All documentary requirements pertaining to a citizen of Canada outlined above must be met. Employment with a different or with an additional employer is not authorized prior to INS approval of the petition.

Alternatively, the Canadian citizen may depart the United States and apply for reentry for the purpose of obtaining additional employment authorization with a new or additional employer. Documentary requirements outlined above must be met and the prescribed fee must be remitted upon readmission.

No action is required by a Canadian citizen who is transferred to another location by the U.S. employer to perform the same services. An example of such an acceptable transfer would be to a branch or office of the employer. If the transfer is to a separately incorporated subsidiary or affiliate, Form I-129 must be filed.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the quick reply that's exactly what I was looking for.

I think I'll bring the whole book next time I go.

b