Multiple I485 for the same person or Consular Processing

symbol

Registered Users (C)
Hi all,

I have a relatively recent 5/1/07 I485, stuck in a name check and I also received a DV 2008 notification letter.

Can we file a second I485 for the DV lottery and ask for an expedited name check or file for CP and hope the name check is cleared before the interview?

Any similar experiences, any opinions. Please reply.

My understanding is that you can file for a second 485 based on DV. You are even allowed to file two employment-based AOS cases, although it is not recommended in many cases. So for DV, I don't see why you shouldn't. Ask you attorney if there is any negative impacts (other than cost obviously). DV is listed as one of the criteria for expediting FBI name checks, although I haven't seen real examples personally. But it could be a huge benefit if you NC hasn't been cleared by then.

There is a dedicated DV thread where you may get better answers.

Zgreen,

Thanks for the reply. We have discussed the matter with my employer’s attorney and he recommended a second I485.

My "re"search (mostly web) showed that there may be a different route for the name-check approval if done thru CP. It looks like it is performed by FBI people in the NVC, and therefore it is somewhat faster. However, we have decided to follow the attorney’s advice and he will file a second AOS.

From your signature it appears that your name check cleared 5/2007. My employment case is with PD of mid August 2002 and we filed form I-485 in May of 2007. How long did the name check take in your case?