Multiple 485s: Marriage Based 485 application while Employement Based 485 is Pending

Hello all,

An update which I want to immediately share to give hope and bring good luck to every one who has been waiting long for GC. To recap - feeling dissapointed for not getting any approval after our FB interview earlier this month, I seeked for ways to get my wife approval going. I emailed Nebrasca Service Center (ncscfollowup.nsc@dhs.gov), and I also decided to write to my local congresman and 2 state senators about my wife case. In my letter I asked for their help to get the two 485 files immediately merged and approved. I explained to them that my wife has been waiting for 8 years, and this final delay, from series of delay through the years, is causing our family life to be on hold again. I wrote to them 2 week after our interview. I followed up yesterday to all of them via telephone. One congresman already call USCIS 2 days ago, the other two just open the case ready to follow up to USCIS. Today, 1 week after I wrote my letter, my wife got a call from the IO (Santa Ana, CA). The IO said that he got the two 485 merged and see no problem and he is approving for GC. He said to expect the card in 4 weeks. I rarely heard IO call people. So, I can only think that my local congresman role is the one who deserve the credit here. I hope my experience can also bring postive result to people who has been long waiting.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hello all,

An update which I want to immediately share to give hope and bring good luck to every one who has been waiting long for GC. To recap - feeling dissapointed for not getting any approval after our FB interview earlier this month, I seeked for ways to get my wife approval going. I emailed Nebrasca Service Center (ncscfollowup.nsc@dhs.gov), and I also decided to write to my local congresman and 2 state senators about my wife case. In my letter I asked for their help to get the two 485 files immediately merged and approved. I explained to them that my wife has been waiting for 8 years, and this final delay, from series of delay through the years, is causing our family life to be on hold again. I wrote to them 2 week after our interview. I followed up yesterday to all of them via telephone. One congresman already call USCIS 2 days ago, the other two just open the case ready to follow up to USCIS. Today, 1 week after I wrote my letter, my wife got a call from the IO (Santa Ana, CA). The IO said that he got the two 485 merged and see no problem and he is approving for GC. He said to expect the card in 4 weeks. I rarely heard IO call people. So, I can only think that my local congresman role is the one who deserve the credit here. I hope my experience can also bring postive result to people who has been long waiting.

awesome news!

Hello all,

Congrats. I think if Congressman follows up on your case then it can get things moving. One of my friends had a similar exprerience.

I also got an update today. I had sent emails to the TSC asking them to send my EB3 file to Baltimore on June 14th, got a read receipt on June 18th. I also contacted the MD senator and congressman just this morning. But I opened my mail now and saw an email from USCIS saying that my EB3 file has been trabsferred to the national benefits center. I dont know if I should be happy or sad because I wanted the file to go to baltimore, where I had my interview one month ago :(, but I hope the NBC will route it to Baltimore asap.

TKD - that is exciting progress. Thank you all for the congrats. One hour ago, I finally get the email I have been waiting- card production ordered. This forum has been a great resource and I am thankful for everyone who read and reply my post. My best wishes to you guys.

TKD, This is definitely a move in the positive direction for your case! Could you please post a draft of the emails and also any letters you sent to the senators. Of course after removing all case numbers and personal info from the emails and letters.

lpram, Congratulations on getting your case approved!!! Could you please post all emails/letters you used to contact congressmen/senators. (all personal info removed, of course).

This would really help everybody in a similar situation.

Thanks and congratulations again!!
Good luck everybody.

Even I have been on the same boat... had my interview back in April... and emailed TSC follow up unit on June 10th, got an email from them on June 21st that they requested my file to be transferred to atlanta... and finally got an email this afternoon that my husband's eb3 file has been transferred to atlanta... how long do u guys think after this? ipram, how long has it been since ur file has gotten transferred to the local office? getting so anxious now... hoping to put an end to all this asap

Citizenship2009,

Can you please post the email you sent to TSC here (after "xx"ing case numbers and personal info). Would really appreciate it.

Thanks.

congrats Citizenship2009, I thought my file would have been semt directly to Baltimore as well, but instead it went to the NBC, but I am still happy because the NBC does not process 485, they send them to local offices, and even grant the local offices access to their system, so I am expecting that it will be sent soon and this will be over.

Here is the letter i wrote to the TSC on June 14th:

Dear Sir/Madam:

I hereby humbly request your good office to please honor the file transfer request initiated by the Baltimore USCIS office, which has jursidiction over my family based I 485 petitiion. kindly transfer my pending employment based I485 petition (Receipt number -SRC 0XXX), which is in your possession to the Baltimore district office of the USCIS so that my family based adjustment of status may be approved as soon as possible. I am now married to a US citizen and have an approved I 130 and another pending I 485, to which my Employment based I 485 needs to be consolidated before I can receive my permanent resident status.

My details are as follows:

Last name:
Former name (maiden name):
First name:
Date of Birth:
Alien Number:

Please do not hesitate to contact me if you have any questions or concerns. I hope my request will be considered urgently and favorably.

i had written a VERY long letter explaining that my husband had two 485's (one employment based and one was family based)... gave receipt numbers for both... explained that we had withdrawn his employment based app at the interview... and that our FB case was being delayed cuz of the EB case... gave both his A#'s (he had two)... explained that we recently had a baby and were wanting to go back home as a family... and requested that his EB case be transferred to the atl office at the earliest... after reading TKD's letter, i felt that i unecessarily wrote waaaaaaaaaaaayyyyyyyyy too much... i'm sure officer's would like it to be short and sweet... hope that helps... and in the subject line, make sure u write I 485 unit (that's what an officer had told me over the phone) i also gave details of the USCIS rep's that i had spoken to and the name of the officer i spoke with... give them all the details that u have so they know u're very professional about this whole thing... hope that helps... i'm hoping that the atl officer puts his file's together asap and makes a decision on it soon...

Thanks for best wishes, TKD.

Interview went OK. I will post detailed interview experience later..., I feel exhausted now after a long day.

Officer said, he is still waiting for my EB case to be transferred. He suggested he can recommend my case for approval as soon as he gets the other file from Texas. He said, it would speed things up if I withdrew my EB case. I agreed and withdrew my EB case.

Now, I will try and email TSC, to see if they can transfer my EB case soon.

Thanks and good luck everybody!!!

The officer told me during my InfoPass appointment that the local office will still have to wait on the papers from TSC - even though withdrawal is requested by the applicant. It doesn't necessarily speed up the process. Please let us know what happens - I will withdraw my EB3 if it really speeds up the process.

Btw - what is the withdrawal process?

we withdrew my husband's eb3 at the interview... officer handed us a piece of paper that said we were withdrawing his eb3 485... my husband just signed the paper and she kept it in the file

Citizenship2009 - was this during the initial interview or InfoPass? I guess you are still waiting on the decision?

My FB interview was on Jan 21st, 2010. They requested the file to be transferred on Jan 22nd, 2010. The next request will be on July 7th.

EB3 pending since 2004.

Citizenship2009 - was this during the initial interview or InfoPass? I guess you are still waiting on the decision?

My FB interview was on Jan 21st, 2010. They requested the file to be transferred on Jan 22nd, 2010. The next request will be on July 7th.

EB3 pending since 2004.

Resident, gave you contacted your congressman ir emailed the service center holding your file?

Which email address are you guys using to contact the Texas Service Center for your case transfer? Please share.

The officer told me during my InfoPass appointment that the local office will still have to wait on the papers from TSC - even though withdrawal is requested by the applicant. It doesn't necessarily speed up the process. Please let us know what happens - I will withdraw my EB3 if it really speeds up the process.

Btw - what is the withdrawal process?

At my interview, Officer explained that, it is sometimes easier to get a withdrawn or a closed case transferred than a pending case.
Officer printed a letter on uscis letter-head with the old EB case number on it and it says you wish to voluntarily withdraw this case. The letter also mentioned the officer intends to recommend my FB case for approval.

resident... we had withdrawn it at the interview (not infopass)
grg2005... the tx SC's email address is TSC.Ncscfollowup@dhs.gov (make sure to put "I 485 unit" in the subject line)
and when the officer told us that we can withdraw the eb file, we decided to go ahead with it at the interview itself...
resident, why don't u contact ur service center... if it's at nebraska, then u just change the tsc to nsc i think... but u may wanna double check that... i got this address from the officer when i called the 1800 number... and also, contacting your congress person REALLY does help... i just got a letter from my senator's office requesting signature on a release form and his receipt number... i'm thinking i will wait till monday, if i don't hear anything from atlanta office (or online) then i will sign that and send it back to senator's office and get their help in getting this case moving... u have been waiting over six months now... u def r entitled to expediting your case...