Moving while in the middle of the citizenship process

RealSuperK

Registered Users (C)
Guys and girls,

My process is stuck at the name check and I'm actively looking for a new job. The name check is the only thing left before the oath. The new job will most probably require me to move to a difference city. Has anybody moved to a different city with a name check pending? What are the chances of my application being lost or screwed up in some other way? I bet chances are rather high, but I wanna know if anybody actually had any luck with moving while wating for the name check.

Thanks!

K

Simple answer

Don't move if you can avoid it, unless you want to add more time on your app. and the good chance of the INS losing your file IMHO

gimmeshelter said:
Don't move if you can avoid it, unless you want to add more time on your app. and the good chance of the INS losing your file IMHO

I understand that... but they are talking about 1-3 years for name checks. It's simply insane! I just filed my paperwork in February. I'm gonna miss A LOT of career opportunities considering that I just finished my Masters 4 months ago.

Move

RealSuperK said:
I understand that... but they are talking about 1-3 years for name checks. It's simply insane! I just filed my paperwork in February. I'm gonna miss A LOT of career opportunities considering that I just finished my Masters 4 months ago.

Go ahead Move. If it is same state I don't think it will make much difference. I am like you and moving in same city. Only thing is inform all concerned and also fill the change of address form (INS)etc

Have you done the interview already? How do you know you are on hold for name check, it was informed to you then or they stamped approved in your interview paperwork? As for the move, I would bet in a forward rather than change it... the risk of not having it forwarded is less than the INS lose your papework or delay it too much. Another thing to do is to talk to the person that will replace you at the house and explain the problem offering to pay for any expenses to have them fedex any INS mail they may receive after you move....
Good Luck....we all need it

luizpaulo said:
Have you done the interview already? How do you know you are on hold for name check, it was informed to you then or they stamped approved in your interview paperwork? As for the move, I would bet in a forward rather than change it... the risk of not having it forwarded is less than the INS lose your papework or delay it too much. Another thing to do is to talk to the person that will replace you at the house and explain the problem offering to pay for any expenses to have them fedex any INS mail they may receive after you move....
Good Luck....we all need it

I had my interview almost 2 months ago. They told me that I passed my civics test but they couldn't make a decision because I'm a big bad terrorist and FBI wants to investigate every second of my life. Well, ok, just kidding, they just told me that my name check is pending. I called the local office a couple of weeks after the interview and found out that the name check has been pending since March '05. Since it's been almost 7 months now, I figured that I'm in that fortunate group of people who get to wait for a couple of years until FBI finds out that, um, nope they are not gonna blow up something in the US.

I thought I was done dealing with this kind of stuff after I got my green card 5 years ago and had to sit through 11 months of INS not processing I-485s at all because they had better things to do. I thought all these re-organizations, alignments and realignment of offices in the last 3-5 years were supposed to improve things. Pardon me for being a moron, I'll never make a mistake like that again. Different name, different bosses, different organizations involved.... but the end result is the same.

Anyway, thanks for the suggestions. I'll figure something out. In the worst case scenario, I'll just pull my application and re-apply at the new place. Sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do.

K

no joking! no kidding!!

RealSuperK said:
I had my interview almost 2 months ago. They told me that I passed my civics test but they couldn't make a decision because I'm a big bad terrorist and FBI wants to investigate every second of my life. Well, ok, just kidding, they just told me that my name check is pending. I called the local office a couple of weeks after the interview and found out that the name check has been pending since March '05. Since it's been almost 7 months now, I figured that I'm in that fortunate group of people who get to wait for a couple of years until FBI finds out that, um, nope they are not gonna blow up something in the US.

I thought I was done dealing with this kind of stuff after I got my green card 5 years ago and had to sit through 11 months of INS not processing I-485s at all because they had better things to do. I thought all these re-organizations, alignments and realignment of offices in the last 3-5 years were supposed to improve things. Pardon me for being a moron, I'll never make a mistake like that again. Different name, different bosses, different organizations involved.... but the end result is the same.

Anyway, thanks for the suggestions. I'll figure something out. In the worst case scenario, I'll just pull my application and re-apply at the new place. Sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do.

K

It does not pay to be kidding or jokinf with FBI, name check etc unless you don't mind delays based purely on this. It was in the newspapers when people got into problems for this kind of kidding.