Moving whie I-485 is pending.

mich_001

Registered Users (C)
Hi all GC Experts, I have few questions about moving when the I-485 is pending. We are planning to move to Florida from Chicago because of a new job offer. I am a US citizen (naturalized) married to H1B. I filed for my husband's GC and had EAD and I-30 approved. The interview was on January 17th 2006 where we had the I-30 approved, but not the I-485 only because the FBI Name check results hasn't come through. I have few questions and hope you guys can help me out:
1) Can one move while I-485/Name Check is pending?
2) If yes, then what forms/documents need to be filled in again?
3) Are there any pitfalls of moving when I-485 is pending?
4) Any other things that we need to think about?

Thanks and appreciate your help in advance....

mich_001 said:
Hi all GC Experts, I have few questions about moving when the I-485 is pending. We are planning to move to Florida from Chicago because of a new job offer. I am a US citizen (naturalized) married to H1B. I filed for my husband's GC and had EAD and I-30 approved. The interview was on January 17th 2006 where we had the I-30 approved, but not the I-485 only because the FBI Name check results hasn't come through. I have few questions and hope you guys can help me out:

You can move but it will delay your process.
You definitely will need to call them to report change of address and also follow up by writing them about change of address. (I would call several time over a period of time to verify they have cause sometimes they take forever.
Your files will be processed by whatever is the Florida DO.

I am sure you will enjoy Florida sunshine :)

Also the toll free USCIS number has a recording that explains what to do if you move. 1-800-375-5283

Just wanted to share my experience when I moved:
1) Sent an AR11
2) called the service line to update all my pending files
3) faxed them with my new address.
4) I kept calling back every few months to make sure that they have my new
address.
5) I scheduled a few infopass appointments to make sure they have the right address in their system computer. Everytimh I went back the CSR searched another database, and found yet another place where my old address was listed.
6) My lawyer moved eventually as well, and he sent his updated address.
7) Then my company switched lawyers, and my cases were updated with the new lawyer's address with a new G28.
8) Then my case got transferred to the local office, and the interview notice went to my old address, and my first lawyer's old address!
9) When I went to the interview, the officer had the old address and my first lawyer's old address in the system, even after EVERYTHING I DID!
10) He corrected it, and the GC went to the right address.
11) Last week I got a letter from NVC. 2 years after my GC got approved, they sent the letter to my old address, and my first lawyer!!!

The bottom line is, whatever you do when you change addresses, its a crap shoot as to whether you'll get mail from them ever again. Good luck!

Here is my experience with moving. I am also past the interview stage and am currently waiting for the namecheck. In that respect I do not think that moving will delay the name check at all. FBI does not care where we live.

When you move file AR-11. Also call up and have the 1-800 people change the address on any pending application. These two items can also be done online now which may be worth a try. Its probably better than trying to correct the atrocious spelling of the customer service agent.

My address got changed very simply. The complications arise if you want your file transferred also. At our stage of the process this is not needed as we are approved pending administration basically but I had mine moved because I hoped it would kick start something somewhere. To move your file make an InfoPass appt and go in and ask them to request your file be transferred. Then go back every month or two and check whether it has been transferred. Mine took a few months but they swear it is here now and I have started getting letters from the local DO.

Good luck.

I moved from Boston to Chicago during my I-485 processing. I actually moved after my interview, but before an approval was granted. The reason my I-485 wasn't approved at the interview was that my original A-file never made it to Boston in time. I hand delivered an AR-11 to Boston before I left. Three months later, I got an approval notice from Boston at my Chicago address. This was in 2003.

I had the same experience. We moved after interview while I 485 pending (still pending as of today) due to name check. I think that the previous members made it very clear on what you need to do, so I just want to add one more thing:
USPS offers the service to forward mails to your new address. Definitely take advantage of it and have all the mails to your old address forwarded to your new address. Just incase they still send mails to your old address. The USPS services costs either nothing or $1, and you can go to their website for more information.

It definitely delayed the case. My case file was just moved from Boston to NYC months after we moved and filed AR11. What triggered the transfer of the file was my visit to NYC through Infopass.

We also got another interview, and we were informed that the interview officer needed to see if Boston had more of my files to make a decision. She said that my name check was cleared, but the system information was never updated.

We'll see what happens. Maybe she was waiting for my A file (btw, what exactly is A file????). I'll keep the members here posted.
mich_001 said:

I moved while awaiting AOS from Montana to Phoenix and it was pretty painless..Although I am stuck in name check still

Thanks all for the help. I still have one question. Since I will be taking a new job in a different state, do I need to resubmit the Affidavit of Support Form 864?