moving to uk pl help on cost of living there

toni_joe

Registered Users (C)
just got a work permit for 5 years / salary 25K per year.
can someone please advise on cost of living in a city like manchester for a family of 4 can we survive with this salary?????

hey

housing is cheap compared to the US, u can get one for 150-200k
and along the lines of living; childern can go to public schools and major expenditures are covered by the state- health care.

what country are u moving from?

and i am begining my WP procedure...how was it...was it wasy to go thru the entry clearence...

i wll be getting 25k on entry in the uk and have a family of 4 as well.

hope this helps and i wll also will be looking up further expenses and figureing out how far i can strech my income. and if i get any more info.-i'll forward it to you.

harman

I'm moving from india.
& you?
waiting for entry clearance - keeping fingers crossed - will let you know
joe

hi

toni_joe said:
can someone please advise on cost of living in a city like manchester for a family of 4 can we survive with this salary?????

I would like to move to the uk to be with my boyfriend of 6 months but the only option we see is to get married.... how did you get a 5 year work visa and what types of professions receive them... any suggestions or help... i am divorced and if we have to get married we will but we also dont see the need to rush it if i can get a work permit...thanks in advance

Applied to a company in the Uk and somehow it clicked.
So I am really not sure. :)
But importantly for a work permit, you need to have an employer who would like to employ you and follows it up with the home office.

toni_joe said:
Thats quite a respectable salary, but you may struggle to support a family of 4 on it alone in a city.

The cost of living in the north is certainly far cheaper than down south where I live, property prices are much cheaper up there too, are you going to buy property or rent? Quite often it costs no more or even slightly less to get a mortgage of your own. For example my friend bought a 2 bedroom house, very small, but with a nice size garden for £30k, it did need work on it though but for a similar property in London, you'd be looking at ten times that much at least.

I'm assuming from your post you will be the only breadwinner, you can certainly live off £25k a year up in Manchester, but you may have very little to show for it at the end of the day if supporting four people. My advice is not to live in the city, look for a place within a commutable distance where rent/house prices will be lower.

Manchester is a cool city though, very good socially, lots of bars, clubs, shops, shows etc, also very close to some of the most beautiful countryside in Britain, good luck with the move :)

Hi Thanks so much for your reply.
well initially only I plan to work, but we are not sure whther my wife would get some work, (she is a college grad, and speaks english well).
Would you know of good areas just outside the city, which have less crime, and safe to live in. my office will be in manchester central
thanks again :)

I'm having dinner with my friend who lives there this weekend, I shall ask her where the safe areas are etc and get back to you, she will have a much better idea than me :)

toni_joe said:
Hi Thanks so much for your reply.
well initially only I plan to work, but we are not sure whther my wife would get some work, (she is a college grad, and speaks english well).
Would you know of good areas just outside the city, which have less crime, and safe to live in. my office will be in manchester central
thanks again :)
Hi,
Don't worry, here you're not in the USA, so be safe, you won't be killed in the street...
Cheers