moving to new address, I485 pending

KGY

Registered Users (C)
Hi Experties,

Need your suggestion, I am planning to move to new address next month, and my I-485 is pending, do you thing is there will be any problem.? and If I do what should I do to make sure I will not face any problem.

Last edited by a moderator:
First of all you MUST file AR-11 with the department of homeland security.
http://uscis.gov/graphics/formsfee/forms/ar-11.htm
Send it by a method where you can track it and have a receipt so there will be no questions about you filing it.

Next to update your address with the USCIS phone 1-800-375-5283. You want to update the address on all pending cases. I-485, EAD, AP etc if still not ajudicated. You can do this for your minor children also. For your spouse they must call and update the address on their cases. They will ask for A#, receipt date, what cases etc. In about a month or so you will receive a letter confirming your new address changes. No Big Deal.

Don't worry, many ppl changed their address more than one with no problem

The above advise is correct

File AR-11 or AR-11SR(special registeration country)

Send a letter to TSC requesting address update in pending 485 use uscis web site TSC page and send P.O box where it says 'Address change/ attorney change'

then Call 800 to update.

Many ppl find their online status updates with 'We responsed ur concern... blah blah' and many of them also get letter to notify /confirm the change of address.

Good Luck

I changed twice

Make sure you update the address with CIS and also send AR-11 form.
I changed my address twice after I filed 485. Ironically, this actually helped me. After the second change, I got an RFE and with in a month the approval. So do not worry about any problems. But just make sure to update the address with CIS.

I have a different point of view, I did all that in mid October 2004, then got confirmation letter, and everything was apparently ok. In december I asked my congressman to send and inquiry and to check if the address was register, I got congressman response that new address was acknowledge, well in Feb 2005 I got my FP notice sent to my old address, my cousin is living in that house so it was not a major issue for me. Went to get FP and I talked to the officer about the address, and showed him my address confirmation letter, and he told me THAT'S NOT THE SAME, and that he would fix it. As you can see TSC hates me, but I think this only happens to the "lucky ones" like me, just take my experience, if there is any problem it won't be critical, but it will bother a little.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have read many people missing the FP notices because of address change.
I think this is because the FP is handled by another department or an external agency/contractor and USCIS wouldnt be sending address updates to these agencies.

I changed my address two times, the first time I didn't have any problem, and I did that change a month before the first FP notice, the problem was for my second FP, maybe you are right and it is handle by other department, if thats true, then how could we notify them????.

What about EAD cards? Are those handled by a different dept as well? I'm just curious becuase I'm moving out end of this month but I not too optimistic to get the EAD before moving out the way NSC is doing. I sure hope I'm wrong... Thanks

I-485 approved?

avi_gc said:
I have read many people missing the FP notices because of address change.
I think this is because the FP is handled by another department or an external agency/contractor and USCIS wouldnt be sending address updates to these agencies.

avi_gc,
Has your I-485 been approved? I was not sure from your signature. Our dates are very similar and I did not file concurrently either. Thanks.