Moving to Canada after staying 2 years in US

njdude26

Registered Users (C)
I landed in June'2004 stayed there for 1 week. Then i was US for the last 2+ years. Now moving back to Canada.
Initially I landed in Montreal. The address for PR Card is in Toronto.
Now does it matter now if i cross thru' Montreal ?

Also i will be taking all the goods with me. Would the process be still the same to just show them all the goods im getting with me and then what will follow ?

Also first time when i landed one of the cars was on the goods to follow and there was no duty/tax levied on it.
but now i will have to register the car in Toronto. so will i need to pay duty/tax on that car at the border ?

I landed in June'2004 stayed there for 1 week. Then i was US for the last 2+ years. Now moving back to Canada.

-- No.

Also i will be taking all the goods with me. Would the process be still the same to just show them all the goods im getting with me and then what will follow ?

-- No. Goods to follow list is only for the first time. The next time is the time to declare what you have and pay duty on it. Yes, this applies to your laptop too (your last post - where I did not know that u have already landed). But if it belongs to the employer, you can say so and u might be able to avoid the duty.

Also first time when i landed one of the cars was on the goods to follow and there was no duty/tax levied on it.
but now i will have to register the car in Toronto. so will i need to pay duty/tax on that car at the border ?

-- No. You will have to present the evidence of custom clearance when you register your car in Ontario. There are other costs though - like cdn safety inspection, emission test, etc.

-- No. You will have to present the evidence of custom clearance when you register your car in Ontario. There are other costs though - like cdn safety inspection, emission test, etc.[/QUOTE]

First time when I landed I just drove the car in and they just made me make a list of things as goods to follow and thats it. There was no clearance papers given other than the yellow sheet with the car VIN number on it. After that I drove back to US in a week. If I show that to the border agents now will they waive the taxes/duty on them ?

First time when I landed I just drove the car in and they just made me make a list of things as goods to follow and thats it. There was no clearance papers given other than the yellow sheet with the car VIN number on it. After that I drove back to US in a week. If I show that to the border agents now will they waive the taxes/duty on them ?

-- That yellow sheet you are talking about is very important since it has the VIN number on it. They must have stamped it or it must be on their official letterhead, so that it has some formal format. Therefore, it shows that the cdn customs guys have already "cleared" it and there is no question regarding paying the duties on it. The customs should accept it and then allow you to enter Canada with the car without charging anything.

bigboy00 said:

-- No.

I want to know about the car. Is it ok if i bring it thru' Montreal and then register in Toronto ? When do I pay the PST for a car i bought a year ago ( it is not on the original goods to follow list). I dont want to end up paying PST 2 times once for quebec and once for Ontario !
The only reason why I want to come back thru' Montreal is because i felt the path into Montreal was much easy compared to Toronto. I felt the border officers there were very good and they let you in without any issues and i assume they will not charge me duties if tey dont have to :)

Is it ok if i bring it thru' Montreal and then register in Toronto ? When do I pay the PST for a car i bought a year ago ( it is not on the original goods to follow list). I dont want to end up paying PST 2 times once for quebec and once for Ontario !
The only reason why I want to come back thru' Montreal is because i felt the path into Montreal was much easy compared to Toronto. I felt the border officers there were very good and they let you in without any issues and i assume they will not charge me duties if tey dont have to

What you are saying about the customs officers is right. If the guy is nice and if he is in a good mood, he might not care about the duty. But you have a new car, so it is unlikely. I am not discouraging you, but want to tell you the possibility. Good luck!

They will not charge you PST twice. Because QC has 7.5% (or may be 7.95%) QST and ON has 8% PST. In the worst case, you will have to pay the difference which is not much. But what many people do is, tell the customs guy that you will pay it later since your final destination is Ontario. They usually accept that. What you will end up in doing is, pay the duty in ON, get the receipts and show it to the motor registry in ON for getting the car registered. That's all. There will not be any problem. Again, good luck to you!
:)

bigboy00 said:
Is it ok if i bring it thru' Montreal and then register in Toronto ? When do I pay the PST for a car i bought a year ago ( it is not on the original goods to follow list). I dont want to end up paying PST 2 times once for quebec and once for Ontario !
The only reason why I want to come back thru' Montreal is because i felt the path into Montreal was much easy compared to Toronto. I felt the border officers there were very good and they let you in without any issues and i assume they will not charge me duties if tey dont have to

What you are saying about the customs officers is right. If the guy is nice and if he is in a good mood, he might not care about the duty. But you have a new car, so it is unlikely. I am not discouraging you, but want to tell you the possibility. Good luck!

They will not charge you PST twice. Because QC has 7.5% (or may be 7.95%) QST and ON has 8% PST. In the worst case, you will have to pay the difference which is not much. But what many people do is, tell the customs guy that you will pay it later since your final destination is Ontario. They usually accept that. What you will end up in doing is, pay the duty in ON, get the receipts and show it to the motor registry in ON for getting the car registered. That's all. There will not be any problem. Again, good luck to you!
:)

Thank you sir. You have been very helpful.