Moving to Another State after Naturalization Interview

needsolution

Registered Users (C)
I applied for Naturalization after 5 years as LPR. I had my Naturalization Interview 3 years ago. My case has been pending due to background checks even though my FBI name check has been completed. I have to move soon to another state due to personal reasons. Does anyone have experience with moving to another state after Naturalization Interview?

1. How long does it take for USCIS to usually transfer files from one office to another office?

2. Once I move to the new state, I am considering to file a mandamus lawsuit against USCIS due to the delay of my naturalization application. What is likely to happen once I file mandamus, would they call me again for a second interview in the new state that I move to? If they do call me for a second interview, what questions could they possibly ask? Has anyone been called here for a second interview after they move to another state?

Also what more documents could they possibly ask? I already had my naturalization interview 3 years ago and gave them all the paperwork they had asked me at that time.

Last edited by a moderator:
Moving from one place to another within the US during the processing of N-400 or after the interview is not a problem at all. But applicant must need to inform local INS office about their new address and they also must need to send form AR-11 to INS office in KY. Make sure to send AR-11 by certified mail with signature required.

Transferring of file to new INS office should not take that long. It takes at most 3 weeks. But you can never rule out any delay in this especially when INS is a most bureaucratic agency of US govt. I wonder why do you now even care how long it would take for your file to be transferred, particularly when you have been waiting for a decision on your pending N-400 for 3 yrs AFTER being interview.

You can file any lawsuit against INS so long you will be a resident of new place even for one day. You will not be interviewed again JUST BECAUSE you would move to new place or JUST BECAUSE you would file a lawsuit against INS. Rather INS may choose to interview you at any time if they would feel that they need to clarify/know something about a material fact again.

If I were you, then I would be expecting to be called for second interview because it has been already a long time (3 yrs) when they interviewed you last time. A lot of information might have changed. If you were ever asked for a second interview, then INS would ask you the same documents/information what is relevant to your Naturalization eligibility.

Good Luck.

JohnnyCash said:
Moving from one place to another within the US during the processing of N-400 or after the interview is not a problem at all. But applicant must need to inform local INS office about their new address and they also must need to send form AR-11 to INS office in KY. Make sure to send AR-11 by certified mail with signature required.

Transferring of file to new INS office should not take that long. It takes at most 3 weeks. But you can never rule out any delay in this especially when INS is a most bureaucratic agency of US govt. I wonder why do you now even care how long it would take for your file to be transferred, particularly when you have been waiting for a decision on your pending N-400 for 3 yrs AFTER being interview.

You can file any lawsuit against INS so long you will be a resident of new place even for one day. You will not be interviewed again JUST BECAUSE you would move to new place or JUST BECAUSE you would file a lawsuit against INS. Rather INS may choose to interview you at any time if they would feel that they need to clarify/know something about a material fact again.

If I were you, then I would be expecting to be called for second interview because it has been already a long time (3 yrs) when they interviewed you last time. A lot of information might have changed. If you were ever asked for a second interview, then INS would ask you the same documents/information what is relevant to your Naturalization eligibility.

Good Luck.
I thought your naturalization application gets adjudicated by the officer that interviews you. Once I move and submit my address change, the file will get transferred to the new state. How is the new officer that gets assigned to my file in the new state going to be able to decide on my case without even meeting me? So is it not logical to conclude that if someone moves from one state to another state AFTER they have their naturalization interview, they are likely to go through a second interview? What do you think of this?

Last edited by a moderator:
WOW, needsolution, you seem to be following my steps. I too had to move in June and did file a lawsuit right after my move. You need to keep in mind that you must file in the District where you live, or your case will be dismissed for lack of jurisdiction. And like JohnnyCash told me one day, don't forget to have a solid proof of notifying them about your change of address (certified letter with AR-11 for instance); otherwise they will use this excuse to have your case dismissed.

Publicus said:
WOW, needsolution, you seem to be following my steps. I too had to move in June and did file a lawsuit right after my move. You need to keep in mind that you must file in the District where you live, or your case will be dismissed for lack of jurisdiction. And like JohnnyCash told me one day, don't forget to have a solid proof of notifying them about your change of address (certified letter with AR-11 for instance); otherwise they will use this excuse to have your case dismissed.

And were you called in for a second interview since you filed lawsuit?

needsolution said:
And were you called in for a second interview since you filed lawsuit?

Nope. And I am hoping they will call me for one? I will ask to speak to their supervisor right there on the spot and see WHY it's taking sooooooooooooooo long for them to decide my case.

Usually a second interview is good news. They get a chance to clear up whatever cloud they have on the case, and everyone is happy.

needsolution

First of all, I want you to know that I don’t appreciate someone who keeps sending me private messages. I’ve already entertained your previous private message to me, but then you have sent another one. I’m not your attorney, nor I’m obligated to help you. I help a lot of people, which includes helping them on other immigration board/sites too, AND responding to PMs that I receive everyday as I receive at least 50-60 PMs a day, AND I also have my own personal and professional life as well. So obviously, I don’t have enough time to answer to each of your (or anyone's) private messages. Besides, I believe people should post their questions/problems here so that many people could be benefited. If you have any further question, then you would need to provide me your telephone number with the best time to reach you thru PM. Yet still I cannot guarantee you that I will definitely call you, but I will try. Hope you would understand my situation too.

Your thinking that ONLY the officer who interviews you adjudicates a naturalization application is completely wrong. The truth is-any adjudication officer in the INS can approve a case so long officer would have all the needed information in the file or if all the formalities/processing have been completed. With that note, if somehow adjudication officer who interviews you is/was unable to approve the case right away after the interview, then any officer could approve the case next time if new officer will be assigned to your case. Even Supervisor could approve the case. As a matter of fact, INS always assigns new officer every month to the same case.

Further, if new officer is assigned on a case or if new INS office comes in the picture as a result of applicant’s moving therein, then new officer or new INS office doesn’t need to interview you again so long INS before already interviewed you. Just because your case will transfer to new INS office because of moving or just because a new officer is/will assigned on a case, doesn’t mean that new officer or office would need to start all over again, nor they need to get to know you personally. INS is a govt. agency, and not a personal company, wherein a company might need to get to know you first in order to do a business with you. Besides, adjudication on N-400 is a govt. business, and not a dating business wherein you might think that each officer would need to know you personally before approving your case.

Whatever action an officer or an office previously took on your file, it is properly noted in the file. The next officer or office picks up from there. As I said earlier that so long all the needed information/documents/formalities are there in the case, then any officer can approve the case without interviewing you again. If certain document is missing then the new officer/office might demand it thru RFE. If new officer/office would feel that s/he would need to take interview again to make sure that all the information is correct on N-400 as to date then new officer/office may ask you for an interview again.

And like I said earlier that INS most probably asks you for a second interview. It won’t be because of new officer will be assigned to your case, nor it would be because of your file will be transferred to new INS office, and obviously it won’t be because you would sue the INS in the court; rather it would be because of the fact that INS would like to know up-to-dated information on N-400. You were interviewed 3 yrs ago. It is a very long time. I’m sure a lot of information might have changed, like addresses and others. Therefore, INS would like to know the current information.

Good Luck.

JohnnyCash said:
INS is a govt. agency, and not a personal company, wherein a company might need to get to know you first in order to do a business with you. Besides, adjudication on N-400 is a govt. business, and not a dating business wherein you might think that each officer would need to know you personally before approving your case.

This is funny. :D INS in the dating business. :D