Moving Asylum case to another city since IJ has bad reputation

asylee1999

Registered Users (C)
:confused: :confused:
My Uncle has an asylum in case stuck in immigration court since many years. During his Master hearing, Judge gave him court
date of early 2006 for final interview. But Judge was busy with some other case that day and now he got final hearing in early 2007.
This IJ has a denial rate of 89% for asylum cases and never approved any case from my uncle's Nationality. But other Judges are approving lot of cases from his country.

My Uncle hired a very reputed Lawyer to represent his case. This lawyer told him that your case is strong but this Judge will never grant it.
He is hoping to win it in appeals. He talked to many other lawyers and all said the same thing about this Judge. One another famous lawyer advised him to relocate to some other part of the country like NY/LA/Seattle and move his case to there.
So, my uncle is thinking of relocation. It will cost him a lot since he has to hire a new lawyer there but that's fine as long as he has any hopes for the grant of asylum.

I know there are lot of people on this forum who give very good advise. Can you guys please give your opinions on this situation?

Also, he has court date in early 2007 and is it possible now to move his case to another location?

This fellow is very sad and really need your help.

Sounds like if he has a well reputed lawyer that is the best person to advice outside of his case review committee.

I think i saw an segement on TV in the last few months where they talked about some judges having a greater number of denials, especially if an individual has an attorney, or from particular countries. I don't have the exact details... maybe if you did a search online.

The bottom line is that as an asylum applicant, you have no control. You are under their mercy.

You did say your uncle has a strong case that is good. I would do whatever it is that I feel will legitimately make it possible for me to get my case approved.

I feel for your uncle, it is a difficult time in the system, there appears to be a lot of inconsistency in processing applications, adjudicating cases and in many other aspects of the immigration functioning. I think sometiems it is the lack of the draw with many of these cases.

asylee1999 said:
My Uncle has an asylum in case stuck in immigration court since many years. During his Master hearing, Judge gave him court
date of early 2006 for final interview. But Judge was busy with some other case that day and now he got final hearing in early 2007.
This IJ has a denial rate of 89% for asylum cases and never approved any case from my uncle's Nationality. But other Judges are approving lot of cases from his country.

My Uncle hired a very reputed Lawyer to represent his case. This lawyer told him that your case is strong but this Judge will never grant it.
He is hoping to win it in appeals. He talked to many other lawyers and all said the same thing about this Judge. One another famous lawyer advised him to relocate to some other part of the country like NY/LA/Seattle and move his case to there.
So, my uncle is thinking of relocation. It will cost him a lot since he has to hire a new lawyer there but that's fine as long as he has any hopes for the grant of asylum.

I know there are lot of people on this forum who give very good advise. Can you guys please give your opinions on this situation?

Also, he has court date in early 2007 and is it possible now to move his case to another location?

There was an article posted on this forum that showed one judge in NY had 89% approval, and another judge had 19%. So it does make a difference who you get. I don't know if you can change the venue, but if possible, I think it should be done.

One thing to note: immigration courts are federal, so a lawyer can represent your uncle in front of any court. Depending on what the cost difference is, it might be worth paying the current lawyer to fly out to the new location (instead of hiring a new lawyer). Sounds impractical, but I know people who have done it.

In most cases, laywers are not good. The case is the most imporantant thing. However, I would advice that your ancle change venue. If the lawyers advised him that the judge won't approve the case, and the judge has that rate of denial, I believe that your uncle should change venue. He should go where he has better chances of approval.

asylee1999 said:

Yes, he can move his case wherever he has a chance to win it.Keep in mind a transfert can not be done less than two weeks before you reach the hearing date.