Move while waiting for the card

gcnowap

Registered Users (C)
I am still waiting for the real card to come, but I just bought a house and would move to the new house.

Can I have the mail forward to my new address? will that be any problem?

Thanks very much!!!

Yes, there could be a problem.

When I went for stamping in SJC on 9/15, I knew that I was going to move two weeks later, so I told the officer. He instructed me and my wife and kids to write our new address on the I-89 form (the form where you put your signature and fingerprint). According to the Case Status website, the cards were mailed (10/21) but returned (11/2) to the USCIS by the USPS. :(

I assume the cards were mailed to my old address, marked "Return Service Requested". I do have mail forwarding, but because the envelopes are marked, the post office returns them instead of forwarding (unless they don't notice the marking).

So, I called the National Customer Service Center at (800) 375-5283 and got to speak to a real person after only a couple of minutes. I gave my new address and requested remailing. Hopefully that will work.

You should probably also call that number to give them your new address, or consult your attorney.

If you move you probably will have to file the form AR-11 which can be found on the USCIS website. We moved recently and my wife's parole was approved during the process. It was not forwarded with the rest of our mail, but came along once we had filed the AR-11.

Good luck

Do both

Call the 1800 number and update as well file an AR 11.
Ideally USCIS is supposed to check the address with
the DHS system (basically updated by AR 11). I guess
they check the address in USCIS records (which is
updated by NCSC).

Any thing else?

I moved after approval, before stamping. I filled the new address during the stamping. Faithfully they mailed the card to the old address. However, the post office forwarded the GC to my new address. I got the GC in a plain envelop - no DHS from address - jut the CSC address in Laguna Nigel and no return service requested marked. It looked like another Credit Card mailer.

May be I was just lucky. Still waiting for the spouse's card - it was mailed yesterday.

missing_link said:
So, I called the National Customer Service Center at (800) 375-5283 and got to speak to a real person after only a couple of minutes. I gave my new address and requested remailing. Hopefully that will work.

It worked. I got the cards remailed to my new address. Four of our five cards arrived on 11/13, ten days after I called. An anxious wait for the fifth card ended on 11/19. It turns out there was no postage meter stamp on that envelope. Fortunately, a nice person at USPS must have realized that it would be more than 37 cents worth of trouble for us if we did not get that letter.

The GC journey is over for us. Many thanks to everyone who contributes to this forum.