Move from academia to industry

EB1OR_TX

Registered Users (C)
Hello all,
My research funding will be run out very soon (August). This is my second petition. The first petition (2001) got rejected because I didnt answer the RFE which I had never received. I started all over again and my I-140 was approved after 22 months without any RFEs. Now, i am in I-485 pending status. I just received an offer from a company. Can I use EAD and move to that company with my current status? Do I need to use AC-21?
Your answer is greatly appreciated...

Thanks

EB1-TX
I-140 Approved April 2004
I-485 RD August 2004
FP March 8, 2005
I-485 AP ???

Hello and welcome

I beleive u do understand the requirement of EB1, I didn't see that AC-21 can't be used on EB1 cases. so if that new(comp) meet ur requirement u can.

Btw Why didn't u use MTR? as u are sharing that no RFE received, if u had strong case why did u let it go , and what make u to restart from scratch?

Does it help
--------------
http://www.murthy.com/niw_faq.html#4

Question 4. I heard that USCIS has become extremely stringent in EB1 (Outstanding Researcher / Professor) category for U.S. lawful permanent resident status. If the applicant is a Ph.D. employed in industry, what are the requirements expected by USCIS for the Outstanding Researcher category? Posted 04.02.04 Top

Actually, although the criteria are fairly stringent for EB1, the criteria for outstanding professor/researcher is much lower than that for extraordinary ability, which is a self-petitioned case. Generally, we would need to establish that the applicant has made outstanding research achievements, and that the company has documented accomplishments, and employs at least three full-time researchers. We have been successful in almost every case in this office for outstanding researcher applicatio
----------------

----------------------------------------------

The National Interest Waiver (NIW)

If you think you qualify for a National Interest Waiver or EB-1 and would like us to review your case,

The National Interest Waiver (NIW) is a waiver of the job offer requirement for individuals who wish to immigrate to the United States. Normally, a professional who wishes to work in the U.S. must undergo the long and arduous Labor Certification process, but if the alien can prove that, he or she is

Alien of Exceptional Ability or an Advanced Degree Professional; and
Involved in an activity which could prospectively benefit the National Interest;
Then he or she may be eligible to file for a NIW which provides several serious advantages over the usual permanent residency process.

Aliens of Exceptional Ability

The INS has defined an Alien of Exceptional Ability as a professional who has a degree of expertise above that ordinarily encountered in his or her field. To show the INS that you are an Alien of Exceptional Ability in the sciences, arts, or business, you must be able to provide at least three (3) of the following items:

An official academic record showing that the alien has a degree, diploma, certificate, or similar award from a college, university, school, or other institution of learning relating to the area of exceptional ability;
Evidence in the form of letter(s) from current or former employer(s) showing that the alien has at least ten years of full-time experience in the occupation for which he or she is being sought;
A license to practice the profession or certification for a particular profession or occupation;
Evidence that the alien has commanded a salary, or other renumeration for services, which demonstrates exceptional ability;
Evidence of membership in professional associations; or
Evidence of recognition for achievements and significant contributions to the industry or field by peers, governmental entities, or professional or business organizations.
Please remember that one needs only to be able to supply three of these items, not the whole list.

Advanced Degree Professionals

An advance degree professional has been defined by the INS as an individual who has achieved a level of education above that of the Bachelor's degree. In other words, a Master's degree or better. In order to qualify under this category, the alien must meet the following requirements:

The alien must have a bachelor's degree. The INS will not accept an education evaluation to determine an equivalency to a Bachelor's.
The alien must have a master's degree or the equivalent. The INS has determined that five years of progressive experience in the alien's specialty after obtaining the Bachelor's will be considered an equivalent to a Master's degree.
NOTE: Just having the degrees (Bachelor's and Master's) and working in an area of national interest is not enough. The individual must still be outstanding in his/her chosen endeavor.

The National Interest

The rules provide no guidance other than that the alien'sa activity have a "prospective national benefit." Although, the INS Administrative Appeals Office (AAO), through their decision-making, have clarified what conditions the alien may be granted the National Interest Waiver.

Conditions Necessary to Qualify for National Interest (work must meet one or more of the following)

The alien's admission will improve the U.S. economy;
The alien's admission will improve wages and working conditions of U.S. workers;
The alien's admission will improve educational and training programs for U.S. children and underqualified workers;
The alien's admission will improve health care;
The alien's admission will provide more affordable housing for young, aged, or poor U.S. residents;
The alien's admission will improve the U.S. environment and lead to more productive use of the national resources; or
The alien's admission is requested by an interested U.S. government agancy.
The alien need not meet all these requirements, but only one of them in order to qualify. In addition, there are a number of rules that the INS regularly employs, in addition to the above, that are considered in the adjudication of the National Interest Waiver petition. These rules are the following:

INS Rules for Adjudication

The alien must have at least two years experience in the area in which he/she will benefit the United States. The INS looks at this very closely to determine if the alien has a serious commitment to the activity which promotes the national interest.
The National Interest Waiver may not be based solely on the alien's ability to alleviate a local labor shortage. The INS has determined that granting the National Interest Waiver for this reason would be unnecessary since the Labor Certification is employed to determine if a labor shortage exists and then allow a vacant position to be filled. Therefore, a petition that is based solely on the fact that the alien will ameliorate a labor shortage will be denied.
The alien must be involved in an undertaking that will substantially benefit the United States. Of course, the determination of whether or not the undertaking will benefit the U.S. will be determined by the seven criteria listed above.
The alien must play a significant role in the undertaking, and must not be simply a minor constituent who took part.

Additional Requirements in INS Adjudications

Provide evidence that the benefits of your proposed employment will be in national scope. Your employment may be limited to a particular geographic area. However, you must establish benefit to more than one particular region of the country. Moreover, there should be little or no adverse impact on the interests of other regions of the country.

Submit evidence that you seek employment in an area of substantial intrinsic merit. Your employment must be important to the national interests of the U.S.. Additionally, the benefits of your employment should be immediately apparent to the national interests of the U.S..

Submit evidence realted to your ability to perform the duties of the proposed employment position. To be considered in the national interest, you must make a showing significantly above that necessary to prove the "prospective national benefit" required of all aliens seeking to qualify as "exceptional." Exceptional is defined under Service regulation as "[A] degree of expertise significantly above that ordinarily encountered in the sciences, arts, or business."

You must persuasively demonstrate that the national interest would be adversely affected if a labor certification were required. You must demonstrate that it would be contrary to the national interest to potentially deprive a prospective employer of your services by making available to U.S. workers the position you seek. If self-employed, you must also establish that the national interest would be adversely affected if a labor certification were required.

You must establish that you are not seeking a national interest waiver based on a shortage of qualified workers in a given field, regardless of the nature of the occupation. The NIW is not warranted solely for the purpose of ameliorating a local labor shortage.

If you demonstrate that you hold a patent or are responsible for an innovation, then you must demonstrate that the specific innovation serves the national interest.

You must establish that you have a past record of specific prior achievement which justifies projections of future benefit to the national interest. You must establish, in some capacity, your ability to serve the national interest to a substantially greater extent than a majority of you colleagues. You must demonstrate to some degree, your influence on your field of employment as a whole.

Click here for the exact language of the decision by the Administrative Appeals Unit that INS has stated it will use as a standard while processing all NIW request pending before and after August 1, 1998.

These requirements are not codified, but represent the normal standards by which the INS adjudicates these petitions.

------------------------------------

You may find some good useful info , check these links

http://www.messersmithlaw.com/green-card/eb1-niw.html

http://ti.3law.com/eb1a_niw_advantages.htm

http://www.us-immigration-attorney.com/national-interest-waiver.htm

Wish u Good Luck

Thanks POJ

Thanks POJ for your speedy reply.
My future job in the company will be different with what I do in the university. I am worried the use of AC-21 requires working in the SAME field/responsibilities. Eventhough, my H1B1 is still valid but it cannot be transfered (no cap, excempt for university). I have to apply a new H1B. Then, what happens to my I-485 petition?

I didn't use MTR because I followed the advise of Human Resources. He told me, it would be faster to start all over again then to file motion to reopen.

Honestly , not agreed with ur HR. I believe whenever u need advise 'Attorey' (your own or from outside) is the best person to talk to.

If current offer is not same ur LC saying, it would be good not to follow that path. I believe in ur current situation best thing to find similar one.or dont switch.

You must be very careful of next step, I am saying this becz the reason of previous petition. I am not trying to get worry but be Aware of it that no MTR is filed to let INS knew your side of story about 'No RFE' was received, and their records would be showing only their story.

I know my reply wouldn't be helping u much in ur current situation.
But Honestly NIW cases are little touchy things and any word I share without knowing the detailed may not be in ur favor.

I strongly recommended u to immidiately consult to a good attorney.

There are many ppl are from EB1 and 2 , check it out and try to contact them using pvt-msgs to 'Patel Kishan' , 'Redo' and ....ummmmmmm who else.... ... not recallng but there are many of them, And if you think it would be helpful for you to repost the thread with correct 'Title' becz this thread title (...industry) may cause ignorance who are in same boat with u

Good luck

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks again POJ

Yes, I did a very big mistake to start all over again. Eventhough finally he gave me the RFE letter that he said he received after I got a rejection. Well, from the way he talked to me, I knew that he was afraid that I was going to sue him.
EB1-OR does not require a LC. Yes, I may contact people in the EB1 group to get their advise. Thanks alot.

OR advice

Hi I am EB1 OR. You can change it to a company from university. As long as your new company has 5 Ph.Ds and if your research area is same, you can move.

AC21 for EB1

Thanks for your reply RED020. I believe the company has a lot of PhDs.
Do I need to apply AC21? If I do, Where do I get the AC21 package? How do I inform INS about my new job? I have read all your posts but I do not see any body replying to your question about AC21 and I know you have applied AC21.
I will apply EAD ASAP and my address will be the same.

Thanks.

AC21 package

I did AC21. It is very simple. I got a letter from my boss stating that I am employed based on AC21 provisions and my job responsibilities would be the same as my earlier job. I sent my I-485 notice of action, passport copy, I-94, I-140 approval along with that letter.

Ac21

I looked at all the treads on the weekend about AC21 and found out that AC21 is only a letter from us to INS. The purpose of this letter is to inform INS about our new job, salary, company, and so on. Many sample letters also were published in those threads. Thank you POJ and RED020.