Move after filing N-400

atrayapr1

Registered Users (C)
I am planning to file my N-400 next month. However I may have to move out of state (from MI to TX) after a few months. How does the processing work in such cases. Will the N-400 get transferred to TX or will it simply be denied. Do I also have the option of flying back to MI to attend FP/Interview? I do not want to wait till I move before filing as it would delay the process by several months.Thank you for your reply.

I am planning to file my N-400 next month. However I may have to move out of state (from MI to TX) after a few months. How does the processing work in such cases. Will the N-400 get transferred to TX or will it simply be denied. Do I also have the option of flying back to MI to attend FP/Interview? I do not want to wait till I move before filing as it would delay the process by several months.Thank you for your reply.

Just follow the normal procedure of notifying USCIS about your address change if you choose to file before you move. Your file will get transfered but you have to be proactive about it. You will have to wait three months from the time you changed your address to be interviewed due to the USCIS regulations. It is not advisable to fly back for an interview since you will have changed your address unless you are still maintaining your permanent home in the state from which you are moving.

possible to maintain permanent address

I can maintain a permanent address in MI for several months more. In fact I have to as I have a house which needs to get sold. Is it legal to claim that a house in one state is your permanent address although you are working for an employer in another state?

I can maintain a permanent address in MI for several months more. In fact I have to as I have a house which needs to get sold. Is it legal to claim that a house in one state is your permanent address although you are working for an employer in another state?

If it remains your primary residence and your out of state work is temporary , then you can keep the old address on file. But if you move and have a vacant house in another state that you are waiting to sell,then it is no longer your primary residence.

permanent address

Lets say I do this: File N-400, wait for FP and interview date, then move to TX and rent an apartment for 6 months (temporary), keep all furniture etc. back at home in MI. Start working in TX, then fly back to MI to attend interview. Once interview is completed, sell house, inform address change and move permanently to TX. Legally are we permitted to claim for a few months that residence in one state is permanent though we may be working in a different state?

Lets say I do this: File N-400, wait for FP and interview date, then move to TX and rent an apartment for 6 months (temporary), keep all furniture etc. back at home in MI. Start working in TX, then fly back to MI to attend interview. Once interview is completed, sell house, inform address change and move permanently to TX. Legally are we permitted to claim for a few months that residence in one state is permanent though we may be working in a different state?

See Bobsmyth's answer above.

The opinion here and in the other related posts seems to be to file based on your physical work location. However, with on all the temp jobs and consulting assignments this may not be true in all cases.

Consider this: My company Reg. Office is in MO, my client at the time of filing was in Chicago and my wife works in WI, where we have our house and all correspondence. I was commuting WI > IL most days, so primary residence is WI. I'm now on assignment with new client in TX, but still consider WI as my resident state. Issues?

verified with HR

I talked to my company HR, advise was that I can choose my primary residence location. Just by renting an apartment at a client site and residing for an indefinite period does not make it permanent, because I am never employed BY the client, only by the consulting company. The consulting company has NO requirement that I visit their office in California, so none of the advice given above is applicable. Need to talk to an attorney to clarify as HR does not know about immigration laws.

I will adivice that go to your new place and apply for N-400 after 90 days. You will have peace of mind. Why there is hurry?