Most Commonly Asked Questions - Read The Conventions First

alren

Registered Users (C)
Hello all!

I would like to compile a thread which lists the most common questions and it's answers for CP.

First of all conventions.
  1. PLEASE DO NOT POST IN THIS THREAD. We do not want this to end up in a clutter.
  2. If you think of other questions, please post it in thread Suggestions for FAQ welcome here !!! . Let me or Raju or KD or some other frame it up appropriately and bring the Q. back into the thread.
  3. To see the questions, it would be better to view this thread in Thread or Hybrid mode.
I'll try to see if I can get this thread locked so (1) does not happen.

1. What is CP? What are the steps for CP?
  2. CP vs. AOS (485)
  3. What are the Risks of CP?
  4. Can CP be rejected?
  5. My I-140/CP was approved. How do i check if my case was created at NVC ?
  6. How long will the Fee Reciept take? How many days it takes for the lawyer to recieve the NVC Bill reciept after NVC has generated?
  7. How does one find out if fee payment has reached St.louis facility? Also how do we know that the check has been encashed?
  8. Spouse Fee bill

Last edited by a moderator:
My I-140/CP was approved. How do i check if my case was created at NVC ?

My I-140/CP was approved. How do i check if my case was created at NVC ?
  • You can call the NVC and enter your 140 case number.
  • Once you enter your 140 number, you will get your NVC case number. This is your CP case number. (memorize it by heart :} )
  • The NVC number is 603-334-0700

Tip: You might want to program the whole sequence in your home/cell phone. Helped me.

How long will the Fee Reciept take?

How many days it takes for the lawyer to recieve the NVC Bill reciept after NVC has generated .
  • Usually it takes an average of 2-3 weeks to get the Fee reciept. For some cases it might much sooner some might take longer.
  • Best place to guestimate is to find cases similar to yours on http://cptracker.com

How does one find out if fee payment has reached St.louis facility? Also how do we know that the check has been encashed? Is it by calling the same NVC number?

• There is no structured way to monitor this. NVC will not update status of the check encashment.
  • If you are personally sending the fees, then you can check with the issuing agency (bank?) if the cashiers check/Money order has been encashed or not, after the courier delivers the same.

CP vs. AOS (485)

Which is better for me, CP or 485?
  • It is upto you to decide.
  • CPs advantages are quicker (cannot say for sure with the new name check issues). If you don't have job security till the end of process, it is not recommended. You CANNOT get EAD.
  • 485 you get your EAD. You can change jobs.
  • Check http://immihelp.com/consular and make your own informed decision.

What are the Risks of CP

What are the Risks of CP?
  • If you lose your job and you do not have any other valid immigrant status you might be in illegal stay.
  • If you have issues (e.g. rejected) at the time of interview, your attorney cannot do much for you.

Can CP be rejected?

Can CP be rejected? What is the likelihood?
  • YES.
  • The chances of your CP getting rejected are pretty low. Theoretically, your 485 can be rejected on the same grounds. Around this forum, there are hardly any cases, which had rejection issues.