Monsoon Greens

cover_drive

Registered Users (C)
I completed the CP interview process yesterday ( June 21st ) and thought that I\'d jot down a few issues based on my experience.

PCC: This was a massive headache because of the conflicting pieces of information from all over. We took along a) the PCC from the Indian consulate in NY, b) printout of the e-mail from Mumbai consulate saying the Mumbai police station PCC is not required and c) the PCC issuance denial letter from Mumbai police station. Because of b), it seems like c) wouldn\'t be required, but the CP document collector ( called CPDC henceforth ) asked me if I had c) with me ( though she didn\'t seem to insist on it ) and then took it from me and filed it.

Medical: We chose Lilavati because everyone had good things to say about this hospital. I must say that I was very impressed with the hospital ( better than some of the hospitals I see in New York ). The process was smooth and systematic. The staff is friendly and very professional. The whole process takes about 3 hours. Be prepared to get pricked in at least three places - one for blood test and one injection on each arm. If you are healthy enough, you\'ll be done the same day and can pick up the report the same evening. Remember to take along the passport photos and enough cash and be there at 7:30 am sharp.

Birth certificates: My birth certificate (BC) had only my parents first names and my wife\'s BC had her father\'s old name. So, we decided to get supplemental birth affidavits. This was a painful process because the typist has to get all the facts, including spellings, right. After 6 days, spanning over the weekend, we got the correct versions of the affidavits. The so-called lawyer we worked with was quite troublesome. Anyway, we ended up not using the affidavits because the CPDC didn\'t have a problem with our BCs. The CPDC will verify that the photocopies match the original BCs and will return the originals back to you.

Marriage certificates: Have one copy of the marriage certificate in your spouse\'s document file. The CP document collector will verify that the photocopies match the original.

Demand drafts: The fees have gone up, but if you\'ve applied when it was $260 + $65, that\'s all you need to make it out for. We paid the $260 x 2 from the US, so we only prepared two Rs. 65 x 49 DDs. If you\'ve also paid the $260 DD in advance, make sure you bring the receipt with you.

Photos: The photos that we got from the US were not good enough, after I saw the detailed instructions, even though the US photographer assured me that he knew what he was doing. The size and the posture were slightly incorrect. We got 4 more copies from "My own studio", situated about 50 metres south of the consulate. Same day service ( in 5 hours ) costs Rs. 200 for a set of 4. The posture seemed correct and the photos were square in shape, but the instructions say that the length is more than the width. The photographer told us that the square one is the correct one at the consulate here. We trusted him and the CPDC didn\'t have any problems with it ( but we had also asked the photographer to give us 4 more rectangular photos each, just in case - only an extra Rs. 100 each ).

Overnight stay: We stayed at Shalimar Hotel at Kemp\'s corner. It cost us Rs. 4000, including tax. This may sound expensive, but it\'s worth it, expecially because there are too many bottlenecks ( late in waking up, torrential rains, broken down cabs/cars in this monsoon season ) if you are coming from North Bombay. The hotel is comparable to hotels in America and Europe of the same price range. Ths staff at Shalimar is very considerate and the room is decent. A nice breakfast with dosas, sausages and omelletes ( plus the usual fruits, creal, muffins, milk, juice ), is complimentary. Plus we had a very good workout at their small gym first thing in the morning ( I would highly recommend this to relieve the anxiety before the CP appointment ).

CP appointment: My appointment was at 9:30 am. We were t

Monsoon Greens - part II

Looks like the first posting was curtailed. Here\'s the rest.

CP appointment: My appointment was at 9:30 am. We were there at 8:15, the queue manager asked us to come back at 9:00. Due to heavy rains, we waited under a nearby bus stop. To get in, you have to show the guard your appointment letter and passports. We passed through the security check ( airport style ) and were directed to sit in front of counters 10, 11 and 12. If you haven\'t paid the application fees ( $260 each, now a bit more ), you have to make this payment at the cashier before you take a seat in front of the counters. Expect to wait for more than an hour for your name to be called ( we were called at 11:00 ). One has to wade through tons and tons of family based green card applicants in Mumbai. The CP document collector ( CPDC ) is the person you meet first. Ours was a very polite and helpful Indian lady, who started off with some wisecracks about the thickness and contents of my petition ( EB-1 EA petitions tend to be quite elaborate and unreadable ) and immediately put us at ease with her pleasant demeanour. She spent about 5 minutes trying to find a document holder to hold and organize my petition papers. She already had our DS-230 parts I and II ( my lawyer had sent it to her before ). She first asked for my set of documents - sequentially, she asked for my photographs, employment letter, marriage and birth certificates, PCC, affidavit of support and that\'s it. Then, for my wife, she asked for the photographs, marriage and birth certificates and PCC. She was very relaxed and never hurried us. We spent about 10-15 minutes with her. Then we took a seat again to wait to meet the CP interviewer (CPI henceforth). After about 20-30 minutes, we were called in to counter 9. We were asked to take an oath upfront. Then the CPI ( an american consular officer ) asked me a which office I work at and what I do at work. Then he asked me if I knew a Turkish friend of his in a distant department at Goldman Sachs. I was amused by his question and so was he ! His assistant ( another Indian lady ) asked us to sign the DS-230 part II. That was it - it took less than 2 minutes. We then paid the Rs. 65 x 49 DDs and were asked to collect the immigrant visas at 3:00 pm. Make sure you keep the receipt ( upon payment of the DDs ) safely as this is what you produce in the afternoon to collect the visas.

Afternoon: Torrential rains again and a long line of non-immigrant as well as immigrant folks made for a painful wait ( 45 minutes ). My wife\'s name was not spelt right on the visa and we have to go back on Monday to set this right.

First of all congrats ... I have a few Qs ?

1. What about Medical Reports ... Didn\'t they ask you for those ?
2. Since your attorney sent the DS230 - Part I and II ... do you know the answer for Q 29 on DS230 - II ... rearding name and address of petitioner ...... What should it be for u and and your spouse..... The replies on most discussions have been that its should be the employer for both .... Please clarify.
3. Also on DS230 - II ... did you ask for a new SSN card ?
4. You mentioned that you had seperate DDs for yourself and your wife .... now in the Packet 4 that we received ... under the instructions for payment of visas ... it says that the applicants should bring one draft per family ..... now since you have gone thru this experience successfully and the consulate accepted your seperate DDs ... I was just wondering ... as to whether this inconsistency will cause any problems ?

I would appreciate your response to my queries... as I am scheduled for the 26th .... Thanks and Congratulations once again.

Congratulations ! A few Qs

Congratulations Cover_drive ! Wish you an \'evergreen\' future !

Looks like you werent asked for the pay stub at all - is that correct/

How many days prior to you interview date was your employment letter dated? Could you share the format of the letter please?

Thank you

Congrats..

How many photocopies of original documents did u take??
Do we need to attest the photocopies??

Can we pay the visa fees in dollars??

Thanks a lot
Shanks

Attempts at providing answers

Ramrak: Sorry, I guess I am too late in replying ( just arrived home here in NYC ). But I will answer your questions for the benefit of others.

1. They did ask me for the medical reports - I simply forgot to mention it in my write-up.

2. Not sure about the addresses because my lawyer prepared these. But I think it was my work address for me and my home address for my wife. This also reminds me - The CPDC struck out the US addresses and asked both my wife and I to write our Indian addresses instead in our DS230-II forms.

3. Sorry, don\'t remember what my lawyer did here.

4. Single DD for Rs. 49 X 130 should be fine.

Tamtam: The CPDC didn\'t ask me for my paystubs. But this could be because my salary was not quite relevant in the EB-1 EA petition that was made for me. Paystub could be important in other categories, like EB-2 or EB-3. Employment letter should be fairly new, within last couple of months. The letter should say when you started working at your company, what your salary is, what your title is and the department you work in.

Shanks: I took 2 copies of all important documents, within attesting any. They only asked for copies of birth and marriage certificates. The rest were submitted as originals. The visa fees have to be made as a demand draft in rupees at a national or foreign bank. Whether you can pay in dollars or not depends upon the bank you get the draft from.