Misspelt on GC. Please Help.

yishin

Registered Users (C)
Gurus, please help.
We got our GC a week ago, but my wife\'s name is misspelt on her GC. INS help line said that she needs to file I-90 in Local INS office (Newark, NJ) and pay the $110 fee. It is the pain of the neck to deal with Local INS office and pay the $110 for INS\'s mistake.

Can I contact the Service center where the card was issued to have them send a new card? or it only can be done at local office and redo the fingerprint?

Anyone has the same experience at Newark office?

Thanks.

But does it has to go through Local INS?

Can it be done in the Service center by mail? or I have to go to the local INS? Does my wife have to go the local INS by herself? Can I do it for her?

I have been thru this painful process.

Hey buddy.

Unfortunatly you have to file the I-90 with the local INS office. I had the exact same case where my wife\'s name was mispelt(just one letter though), but its better toi get the things fixed.
Anyway, we went to the INS office in Arlington, VA for filing the I-90. Although my wife\'s passpot had her correct name(after marriage, we got it endorsed on her PP), i had to return back as the INS officer demanded the Marriage certificate (for her correct name after marriage).
So please take a notarized copy of the paper that shows the correct name.
Regarding the fees -- The first time I went the lady said i have to pay the fees of 110US$(she was unfriendly as well).. the next time we went there was another officer and did not even aslk for the fees. To avoid any hassels at a later stage.. I asked him if we needed to pay anything and he politly said that "its INS\'s Mistake..no fees is required". SO take your pick. YOu might want to keep your chequebook handy as they were only accepting personal cheques besides , M-orders, Cerified cheques. But this can be different for different offices.
Not to mention that the website say that they accept walk ins till 9:00am. even though we were there at 8:20AM - stood in the Q for 50 minutes and when reached the counter then we were not allowed. Also this had to happen when my wife is 7 months pregnent.
SO be prepared and hopoe you have a better experience then what i have had.
Hope this is of some help.