• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

misspelled name in the welcome letter

dulcet

Registered Users (C)
Hi, dear all,

I am in my activation trip, and i recently received a letter from USCIS. Actually, the letter was received by my friend, because I don't really stay at the address i filled in DS230. I think it is the welcome letter, right? But my problem is my friend told me the name in the letter is misspelled.:mad: I really worry about that. Does that mean the name in my GC will be misspelled?:(

Thanks.

Ok, I have seen the letter. It is a I-797C form. The case type is OS155A, and the notice type is welcome notice. Everything is OK, but I just lose a character of my first name.

I called 1-800-375-5283 and tried to fix it. I pressed 1 and then 2. After i pressed my receipt number, it said it temprorily doesn't work.
Is that because I call it at weekend? or I do anything wrong?

Thanks

Why is there no rely?:(

I called the customer service.
They told me my GC was in mail.
They also said I need to complete I-90 and send incorrect GC back.:mad:
I think that might spend a lot of time getting my corrected GC.

that's really a problem.
i actually need to return my country before April to deal with something.
And it seems impossible to get my corrected GC in time.
Will my returning influence my getting GC?

How can I go back to US? using my immigrant visa(IV)?
My IV seems to expire on April 19, but it also said "upon endorsement service as temporary I-551 evidencing permanent residence for 1 year."
Does that mean I can use it to go back to US after April 19?

Or
Can I just let my friend receive corrected GC and mail to me? Is that legal?

Thanks.

I had same situation and it took me 6 months to receive the correct card as you can see from my signature. I called customer service and they said exactly the same thing that the card was mailed already. Sure enough, I received next day after i called. As far as I can tell, by the time you received the welcome letter, the card was already on the way.

This is a tough situation. As far as you mentioned in your post there is only one letter missing, am I right? So, maybe it will be ok if you can show both your visa and the card to prove your identity. But, contact a immigration lawyer first before make your decision.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks, toughcase. Your information is very helpful.
I notice your signature mentions the name in SS card is also misspelled. :(
I haven't received my SS card yet.
But I am wondering I need to fill in SSN in I-90, but the name in my SS card is actually misspelled. Will that casue any problem?
Does SSN change when I correct the name in my SS card?

Thanks

I have found the answer in the Social Security Online website.
The answer is SSN won't change.
Thanks

In fact, I always have problem with my name on US document. I am from Taiwan, most of Taiwanese's name contains two words for the first name and one word for the last name. On my passport, there is a hyphen ( - ) in between those two words of my first name (so my first name should be XXXX-YYYY); however, US government does not allow hyphen in the first name. Most of time, I either remove the hyphen and connect both word together (XXXXYYYY) or just put a space in between two words (XXXX YYYY). Problems are, in first case, nobody will know my first name is actually two words composed (which I don't like that), and, in the second case, the officer or computer system always confuse the second word of my first name as my middle and change it to an initial. My wife sometimes mad at me for having such problem every time when I need to fill an immigration document.

Enough about me. Regarding to your case, it will be safer if you can correct your name on the card, but, as I mentioned, it will take at least six months.

About SS card, you can go to local SS office to correct your name on the card. Don't worry, you number stays the same after you correct your name.

Thanks, toughcase. Your information is very helpful.
I notice your signature mentions the name in SS card is also misspelled. :(
I haven't received my SS card yet.
But I am wondering I need to fill in SSN in I-90, but the name in my SS card is actually misspelled. Will that casue any problem?
Does SSN change when I correct the name in my SS card?

Thanks

I have found the answer in the Social Security Online website.
The answer is SSN won't change.
Thanks

:eek: i also come from Taiwan, and it is so glad to meet some guy from the same country. but I guess i will face a lot of similar problems you faced.
i have got GC, and am filling out I-90.
Thanks, toughcase.

This happends a lot.
Don worry, I am from TAIWAN too, currently a F1 student.
3 of my friends won this DV in different years.
All of their names after the hyphen "automatically" became the middle name.
It will take a lot of time to correct it, however, you will be eventually there.
I learned from this, so everytime I heard someone in TW are applying passport for their kids, I will tell them do not use hyphen at all.

Best

What I meant was what do you use (first name spell) when you submitted your application? Do you use XXXX YYYY or XXXXYYYY? Or, do you still use XXXX-YYYY and explain it when people ask you?

Nothing much we can do, officially, we can only follow the name used on our passport.