Missing I-797 for H1-B

rhamm

Registered Users (C)
Hi all. I need some advice / assistance.

BACKGROUND

Entered US in 1997 on a TN visa (renewed it once). Transitioned to an H1-B visa. Applied for and transitioned to LPR, where I have remained for the past 9 years. Current age is 36.

LPR received in November 2001 at age 27. At that time I obtained letter saying I may need to apply for selective service, which I did, but was unable to due to age.

PROBLEM

I no longer have the Notice of Approval (Form I-797) for the H1-B document.

QUESTION
Without the above document, I'm not sure how I can prove to either USCIS or SSS that I was on a non-immigrant via during my time on the H1-B.

Selective service suggests I file a FOIA request with USCIS to try to obtain my status records.

BIGGER PROBLEM
Our interview is scheduled for June 30.

Any thoughts?

-russ

Thanks for the responses!

I have stamps for my two TN Visas, but the H1-B evidence was stapled in my passport and removed when our green cards were handed to us nine years ago (I was so excited to receive our LPR I never thought to ask for the H1-B paper back).

Thanks Jackolantern (I love the handle by the way, I used to go back Jockolantern many years ago).

I'm trying not to sweat it too much, since I can't do much about it before our interview on June 30, but I like having all my i''s dotted and t's crossed, and when I don't I get all wound up. :D

-r

I never thought of having the H1B letters of approval with me during the interview. Had they asked for them, I'm not sure if I would have been able to produce them. I'm sure they are somewhere in my files, but I'm not sure, it's been so long.

The officer never asked to see them. In fact, the actual H1B applications were in the file he had on his desk - I saw them while he was flipping through the file.

You'll be fine, don't worry about it.