Missed interview

Aida Mendez

Hello,

I had my citizenship interview scheduled for May 20 but I tested positive for COVID on May 10th. I called my lawyer and she said she would send an official letter with my positive covid results. When I went on the website it says I didn’t show up and it would affect my case tremendously. I called USCIS and told them that my lawyer had sent out a letter and the reason why I didn’t show was because I had been diagnosed with covid. Can deny my application now? And this is totally my lawyers doing I trusted her because I was so ill. What do you guys think. I’m calling her tomorrow

The instructions are to return the notice for interview with reasons you can’t make it and ask to reschedule. She’s a lawyer so...that’s what she sent them, right? Did she get confirmation of delivery? My understanding is that even if she messed up and the case is administratively closed you just request it get reopened and you get one more chance at an interview.

I’m calling her tomorrow because I was very ill and I decided to check on the case status online. It said no one showed up as scheduled and that I would get a notice on the mail with whatever decision they make. Oh okay that doesn’t sound too bad.

You have a very valid excuse as you are required to quarantine after you test Covid +ve as per CDC guidelines. If your lawyer doesn’t take this up, I would just send a letter to the field office director asking to reschedule. In addition to this, you can even contact the USCIS phone number and put in a request to reschedule based on your Covid diagnosis.