Misguided efforts??

santosh_30

Registered Users (C)
All:

I have done of my part in sending letters to my senator etc. However, Considering a post in this fiorum about the response from senator Rick Santorum (http://boards.immigrationportal.com/showthread.php?t=192561), the situation looks bleak. Again, this is a case of lack of distinction on the part of policymakers regarding what the hue and cry is all about. If someone stands up in the senate and shouts immigration, it will be interpreted by most as a call to support the pro-illegal immigrant bills int he country. There arent many people in the Senate (I think) who know exactly what we are talking about...retrogressino, AC21, same or similar job title, priority dates...who has time for all that. And since this whole retrogression news was dropped as a sudden bomb, there has not been enough time to lobby support and make the senators understand what is the problem......and by the time there is a lobby formed and the problem has some exposure, shape, and definition, the session of congress will expire....and we are talking about another 6 months to a year before our voice is heard again. USCIS is mostly to blame for this. If they would have given any indication of what was to come, people would have been more prepared. This time, the economy is in shambles..the administration is overwhelmed with things liek Katrina, the war, and their credibility in light of some of the sandals Also, the tech sector which largely drives this whole demand for visas is slow. SO there arent many employers lobbying to support the cause. So the unorganized workers who are united only by their common frustration for not having a green card and so having to lose career opportunities are trying frantically to rally support. But they do not have the kind of lobbying power or properly placed contacts to make their voice heard. The "retrogression" voice is going to get drowned in the larger hue and cry about illegal immigration and how to curb it.

Many are now waking up to the fact that McCain Kennedy bill may not be the best for us. I think it would be more easy to ask for a change like removing the same or similar job title and job description definition than to ask for a change in regulations that will allow increased visa numbers etc. The prior is a temporary change that would alleviate the present problem and may not meet as much opposition as against the latter which will ask for a permanent increase in visa numbers which will be scorned upon by policymakers and will meet a lot of opposition. Remember AC21; they did not make the 485 application portable without restrictions. That was a golden mean to keep employers happy while at the same time having the strings in the hands of USCIS. If we ask for a change such as askign for more visa numbers, I am not sure if it will go down that well. As a temporary solution, we may be better off asking for removal of restriction of "same or similar job title and free portability" and letting people apply for EAD/AP even if the visa numbers arent available. But the question is who and how and when will this be presented to the Senate in simple and easy to understand terms.

I dont know the answer to that....and it might be too late for this session of congress.

Santosh

1. I told many times to that 'Techworkers' group that it was unwise support the McCain bill. More we support this, more the American public will react and protest against it. When I call Senators I make clear that all I am trying to do is put a request to increase the Employment Base Visa Numbers. The McCain bill does nothing for border security and it is a mass amnesty bill. Polls show that 80+% of Americans do not even want to hear about this idea.

2. I am not sure if I agree with you regarding the lack of knowledge about our cause. I talked for a long time with the US reps in the Washington State and they told me they are aware of our plight and it is a common discussion in the congress now.

3. Asking for changing in the rule of the AC21 portability is a very wise thing to do and perhaps more efficient than the increase of Visa numbers itself. Most our problems would go away if we could REALLY change jobs without restrictions. As is now, this AC21 portability is very, very limited.

santosh_30 said:
All:

I have done of my part in sending letters to my senator etc. However, Considering a post in this fiorum about the response from senator Rick Santorum (http://boards.immigrationportal.com/showthread.php?t=192561), the situation looks bleak. Again, this is a case of lack of distinction on the part of policymakers regarding what the hue and cry is all about. If someone stands up in the senate and shouts immigration, it will be interpreted by most as a call to support the pro-illegal immigrant bills int he country. There arent many people in the Senate (I think) who know exactly what we are talking about...retrogressino, AC21, same or similar job title, priority dates...who has time for all that. And since this whole retrogression news was dropped as a sudden bomb, there has not been enough time to lobby support and make the senators understand what is the problem......and by the time there is a lobby formed and the problem has some exposure, shape, and definition, the session of congress will expire....and we are talking about another 6 months to a year before our voice is heard again. USCIS is mostly to blame for this. If they would have given any indication of what was to come, people would have been more prepared. This time, the economy is in shambles..the administration is overwhelmed with things liek Katrina, the war, and their credibility in light of some of the sandals Also, the tech sector which largely drives this whole demand for visas is slow. SO there arent many employers lobbying to support the cause. So the unorganized workers who are united only by their common frustration for not having a green card and so having to lose career opportunities are trying frantically to rally support. But they do not have the kind of lobbying power or properly placed contacts to make their voice heard. The "retrogression" voice is going to get drowned in the larger hue and cry about illegal immigration and how to curb it.

Many are now waking up to the fact that McCain Kennedy bill may not be the best for us. I think it would be more easy to ask for a change like removing the same or similar job title and job description definition than to ask for a change in regulations that will allow increased visa numbers etc. The prior is a temporary change that would alleviate the present problem and may not meet as much opposition as against the latter which will ask for a permanent increase in visa numbers which will be scorned upon by policymakers and will meet a lot of opposition. Remember AC21; they did not make the 485 application portable without restrictions. That was a golden mean to keep employers happy while at the same time having the strings in the hands of USCIS. If we ask for a change such as askign for more visa numbers, I am not sure if it will go down that well. As a temporary solution, we may be better off asking for removal of restriction of "same or similar job title and free portability" and letting people apply for EAD/AP even if the visa numbers arent available. But the question is who and how and when will this be presented to the Senate in simple and easy to understand terms.

I dont know the answer to that....and it might be too late for this session of congress.

Santosh

Refocusing our efforts

I agree that we should focus on the major issues that affect us and pitch them to the senators in a sellable manner.

As most of you are aware there is an addition to the budget bill that is being planned. Link is as follows:

http://pubweb.fdbl.com/news1.nsf/9a...00?OpenDocument

We should make our politicians aware about this and make suggestions to make this better: i.e AP and EAD benefits for all folks who file 140, etc.

MDGUTS

I myself have focussed on the issue of removing unreasonable requirements of the AC21 while send emails and talking to the office staff of a couple of Senators. I do agree that focussing on any particular Bill may do more harm than good.

What about the people who have approved I140 but cant file 485??? Please dont support this blindly. This bill does not do any favor to people with approved I140 that cant file I485.

MDGUTS1307 said:
I agree that we should focus on the major issues that affect us and pitch them to the senators in a sellable manner.

As most of you are aware there is an addition to the budget bill that is being planned. Link is as follows:

http://pubweb.fdbl.com/news1.nsf/9a...00?OpenDocument

We should make our politicians aware about this and make suggestions to make this better: i.e AP and EAD benefits for all folks who file 140, etc.

MDGUTS

It was genuine typo

ChicagoDesi,
It was a genuine typo..I believe. Those with clear mind can not write some thing that persecutes whose I-140 are approved. To persecute I-140 approved people is against "Principles of Natural Justice".

Do not ask me if the entire visa retrogression is against "Principles of Natural Justice", though. I do not have an answer.

Senthil

We can recommend changes that benefit us all

Chicago desi,

I understand what you are saying. We should bring the problems with current state of the bill and suggest solutions to the politicians. I am suggesting we take this opportunity to make the politicians aware of our problems and suggest solutions, and changes in the bills as we deem fit.

MDGUTS

Here is the solution

I think we need to elect a very smart guy within our group as a congressman and fully support him. Instead of paying for our EAD and AP renewals every year, we can collect that money and send our own congressman to the capital hill...How is that????
bdw, I promise that I will not be one of the candidates ; )

Fair enough. When any one of us contact any senator/congressman, please all of these points that favor everyone and not just one's own. Thanks.

MDGUTS1307 said:
Chicago desi,

I understand what you are saying. We should bring the problems with current state of the bill and suggest solutions to the politicians. I am suggesting we take this opportunity to make the politicians aware of our problems and suggest solutions, and changes in the bills as we deem fit.

MDGUTS

Senthilnath said:
ChicagoDesi,
It was a genuine typo..I believe. Those with clear mind can not write some thing that persecutes whose I-140 are approved. To persecute I-140 approved people is against "Principles of Natural Justice".

Do not ask me if the entire visa retrogression is against "Principles of Natural Justice", though. I do not have an answer.

Senthil

Could you please shed some light on "genuine typo"?