misdemeanor charge and eligibility for citizenship

help needed

I am eligible to apply for a citizenship. 5 years back I was
convicted for shoplifting- Petty theft( only one mistake in my entire life) which was amisdemeanor charge. I was fined and payed that fine in a court. After that no records. Will be rejected in my citizenship application, because I had that misdemeanor charge in my record? Worst of all My husband did not know about it till today. If we apply for the citizenship together if I get rejected he will come to know about that(which I dont want to happen) I am holding off without telling him this reason. Any help here??????????
I was told that I cannot lie in the application about the misdemeanor
and if they come to know that they will reject it strait a way! If I mention that charges will I get rejected?

As I am planning to apply for citizenship next week, Can someone please help me with this? Should I apply thro an attorney? Also I dont have any paper work for the conviction. Do I need to send the paper along with the application? How I can I get those papers from the police department? If I have an attorney will they take care of getting the paper from the police? As I mentioned I am doing it without my husband's knowledge and paying attorney fee will be a challange If it is too expensive.

Thank you

Last edited by a moderator:
It is not a big deal but do be honest with your spouse. If you have proof of payment then take it with you to the interview. My thought is that a one time thing is not a deal breaker. A string of offences is cause for concern. You should discuss this first with your husband instead of asking help from strangers.

You have absolutely no choice. You have to list the criminal conviction on the application and attach the proper documents. Failure to do so means the immigration has an authority to not only reject your citizenship application but to revoke your green card as well on the basis of lying. You should be able to obtain the documents thourgh the court that had the jurisdcition over your case.

I think you are being foolish trying to hide the fact from your husband. How can you hide it anyway? I assume your husband will look over your application, will he not?

I doubt attorny will help much. You can always add an attory later, should you decide one is needed. It's soley up to immigratin officers to decide whether you have a good moral character. I am certain the issue will come up during the interview, but since it is only a minor crime, maybe you will be OK or just given a hard time about it. I don't think it's serious enough to cause the outright rejection of your case. However, any criminal conviction is definitely a big negative.

Also, if the conviction is older than 5 years, the less consideration is given to the fact, so maybe you want to wait a little while longer before you apply.

Thank you

Thank you for the advice. I cannot go in front of my husband and tell him that I did it 5 years back and kept it from him all these years.......It might even cost our relationship.

The incident is five and half years back and I have read articles and some forum saying that the citizenship application will not be denied if I stayed clean for 5 years after the conviction.

It was very stupid of me to do that and paying the price now..........

As others have said, you absolutely must document this arrest & conviction on the N-400. Furthermore, you may find it desirable to wait until the conviction falls outside the 5 year "good moral behavior" window before you apply. If not, you are quite likely to be denied at (or shortly after) interview.

Don't hide this from your husband - he's going to find out sometime or other, and sooner is probably better than later.

convicted for shoplifting- Petty theft( only one mistake in my entire life) which was amisdemeanor charge. I was fined and payed that fine in a court. After that no records. Will be rejected in my citizenship application, because I had that misdemeanor charge in my record? Worst of all My husband did not know about it till today. If we apply for the citizenship together if I get rejected he will come to know about that(which I dont want to happen) I am holding off without telling him this reason. Any help here??????????
and if they come to know that they will reject it strait a way! If I mention that charges will I get rejected?

As I am planning to apply for citizenship next week, Can someone please help me with this? Should I apply thro an attorney? Also I dont have any paper work for the conviction. Do I need to send the paper along with the application? How I can I get those papers from the police department? If I have an attorney will they take care of getting the paper from the police? As I mentioned I am doing it without my husband's knowledge and paying attorney fee will be a challange If it is too expensive.

Thank you

Any update on your case?

Thank you
A

Any updates in your case?