Minneapolis/St. Paul MN - N-400 Timeline

brb2,
Did your in-laws get their oath dates yet? I can bet it will be July 6!

I think the processing speed has increased substantially in Minnesota. My in-laws had interview last Friday afternoon. Today (Monday) they received an e-mail status update that they have been scheduled for the oath ceremony. The next few Oath Ceremonies for twin citiesl are:
July 6th - Bethel University: 10:00 AM - Judge Davis and 2:00 PM - Judge Montgomery
August 3rd - Bethel University: 10:00 AM - Judge Mayeron and 2:00 PM - Judge Graham
August 24th - Landmark Center 10:00 AM - Judge Ericksen and 2:00 PM - Judge Schiltz

I will update when they receive their oath ceremony invitation. I presume it will be for August 3rd but would not surprise me if it turns out to July 6th mainly because of a quick decision.

rhamm,
Conglatutions. Can you tell me how you both knew at once your oath dates because it seems they send people away after interview to wait for the mail? Things seems to be improving in MN!

Hey MN applicants.

Wife and I had our interviews yesterday, and we were both approved! :D

We were both scheduled for our oath ceremony at Bethel University for 2:00pm on July 6th!

I will be in the boundary waters this weekend, and will have to have the other guys paddle me out on the 5th to attend, but I'm more than happy to do that!

yay!

-russ

Kahuni

rhamm,
Conglatutions. Can you tell me how you both knew at once your oath dates because it seems they send people away after interview to wait for the mail? Things seems to be improving in MN!

Hey Kahuni. Glad to see all is well with your process. good luck on your journey

I got my interview letter today. I was asked to bring to the interview 'Any evidence of Selective Service Registration' among a list of items (green card, passport etc.). I am confused. In my application I answered no to this question - 'Are you a male who lived in the United States at any time between your 18th and 26th birthday in any status except as a lawful non immigrant?' I was a student with F1 visa on my 26th birthday.

Anyone else was asked to bring this if you answered No? Do I really need to get a letter from Selective Service saying that I am exempt from this requirement?

05/12/2011: sent N-400
05/13/2011: P.D. dated
05/18/2011:Received SMS and Email notification
05/21/2011: N.O.A. RECEIVED
06/06/2011: F.P. notice dated 6/13
06/13/2011: F.P. done
06/15/2011: Application in-line for interview scheduling
06/30/2011: Interview scheduled
07/05/2011: Interview letter received
08/12/2001: Interview date

This caused me a lot of stress, as I was unable to obtain "evidence of selective service registration" from the SSS (a "Status Information Letter") before the interview.

It takes about 90 days to get a Status Information Letter from SSS, but since I lost my H1-B approval notice SSS would not grant me the letter.

If you have copies of your non-immigrant visa status between ages 18- and 26 while living in the US you should be fine.

In my case, I ended up filing a Freedom Of Information Act with USCIS (notarized and sent via certified mail) and had copies with me at the interview. My plan was that if I was asked for evidence of registration with Selective service, I could explain that I lost my H1-B notice of action, which proves my non-immigrant status, and show that I filed a FOIA request (which takes months). The officer doing the interview will have a copy, and hopefully will just use their evidence as proof. Also as I am 37 years old, it was unlikely they would ask for evidence of Selective Service Registration anyway.

-russ

I got my interview letter today. I was asked to bring to the interview 'Any evidence of Selective Service Registration' among a list of items (green card, passport etc.). I am confused. In my application I answered no to this question - 'Are you a male who lived in the United States at any time between your 18th and 26th birthday in any status except as a lawful non immigrant?' I was a student with F1 visa on my 26th birthday.

Anyone else was asked to bring this if you answered No? Do I really need to get a letter from Selective Service saying that I am exempt from this requirement?

08/12/2001: Interview date

kahuni98,

We were given Oath Ceremony letters immediately after the interview with the location, date and time of the Oath Ceremony.

-russ

rhamm,

rhamm,

Thanks for your input. Instead going through the hassle of getting a 'Status Informaiton' letter from SS, I guess I will just bring my old passport that has the original F1 visa on it and also may be transcripts from school to show them that I was attending school at that time.

No problem,

You should be plenty fine with that documentation since you don't likely have time to get a Status Information Letter (SIL). It still may be worth requesting a SIL though. If you make a copy of the application you can show at the interview that you have at least tried to get one (assuming they ask for it), but it probably isn't really necessary since you have all your student documentation and visa information.

See here

rhamm,

Thanks for your input. Instead going through the hassle of getting a 'Status Informaiton' letter from SS, I guess I will just bring my old passport that has the original F1 visa on it and also may be transcripts from school to show them that I was attending school at that time.

santurn,
Thanks for checking on us, we are still on the road getting near the destination.
rhamm,
Thanks for your response and hope you had a wonderful time at the ceremony.

720 applicants from 92 countries became citizens at 2:00pm today at Bethel University. Judge Montgomery swore us in was absolutely great, cracking a few jokes now and again. I will admit to getting choked up a time or two, especially when taking the oath.

It is done now though, and we have our certificates in hand.

Thanks for the support all. Its been a long time coming, and we could not be happier.

-russ

Yes they were sworn in today in the 8.00 AM ceremony. In all 1400 people were sworn in today. I am overseas on business so missed attending their ceremony. They received their letter within 3 days of their interview.
brb2,
Did your in-laws get their oath dates yet? I can bet it will be July 6!

wonderful!
At least their journey is over. Have a good trip.

Yes they were sworn in today in the 8.00 AM ceremony. In all 1400 people were sworn in today. I am overseas on business so missed attending their ceremony. They received their letter within 3 days of their interview.

Interview Done, oath 08/03/2011 at 2pm

We did our Interview today which was scheduled for 10:30 and both me and my wife were waiting for the oath notices in the waiting room by 11am! Basic interview with no dramas just a smooth walk over the application and updating Names Changes.
Next week is oath! Good luck to everyone.

Last edited by a moderator:
Congrats Kahuni98!! Mine is coming up soon (8/12/11). Hopefully I will also get the oath letter the same day.

DrGru, Thanks,
More than likely you will be scheduled for your oath on 8/24 at Landmark Center St. Paul i.e if you live around the Twin Cities area.
Good luck.
Congrats Kahuni98!! Mine is coming up soon (8/12/11). Hopefully I will also get the oath letter the same day.

Finally received my interview letter today. Welcome surprise: The interview will be at our local ASC (The same Application Support Center I went to for fingerprinting), not all the way down in St. Paul.

Done

We did our oath yesterday among over 600 in atendance. Through the ceremony it was a great moment to reflect about this long journey since I came to this great Nation a month shy to ten years! We then stopped by and did our Passports applications for self, spouse and our two teenage kids and since we are not travelling until December we applied the regular way[four to six weeks].
To the owner of this forum, members and visitors, it has been a great time in this forum where knowlegeable and supportive people give all to help one another.
To those still in the process, my prayers to you and wish you well and quick processing of your applications.

DrGru,
How did your interview go?
I received two passports today mine and spouse but still waiting for the kids. I did the regular application and still got them in TEN days!
Good luck everybody.

Interview went OK. The officer was nice even though she asked me a LOT of questions about travels. I traveled over 8 times during my last 5 years and none of those over 23 days. She asked me the purpose of each of those trip. She even looked over my old passport to see all the stamps on the passport and found one that was not listed. She asked why I didn't enter that travel on my application. I said it was before I became a PR. But she said that was still within last 5 years. So it was my bad. She then wrote that on the application for me. Everything else went smoothly. At the end she said I am recommending you for approval and asked me to wait in the waiting area to receive the oath letter. About 20 minutes later, I got my oath letter for oath ceremony on August 24th at 2 pm at landmark center in St Paul. The whole process took about an hour.

08/12/2001: Interview date (passed)
08/24/2011: Oath date