Min Period to wrok for employer after GC approvl

tossurboss2002

Registered Users (C)
Hi All,

Is there any specific period of time that i have to be on GC sponsoror's pay roll to maintain the status of GC when you apply for Citizenship or when u renew your GC.

Please share your thoughts

Min Period

I have not worked for the sponsoring company till i got my GC, I have been working for a different employer and this employer filed my substitute labour and i got my GC.
Should i still join the GC sponsoring company to maintain my GC status is the question. If i dont join the GC sponsoring company i would never work for a company who sponsored my GC and when i apply for citizenship will this become a problem saying that you have not worked for the company who applied for ur adjustment of status so this GC is void...

your intent is questionable, which is the very basis of getting a GC. You have not applied for AC21 either before your 485 got approved, so technically you should be working for the petitioning employer. So, if these immigration guys decide to tighten the screws (which it looks like they slowly are considering the massive immigration fraud), you can face problems. Also, your employer can create problems for you claiming you never worked for them.

Min Period

Well i will talk to sponsoring company and try to get on to theri pay roll, do you know any time frame that we have to start working for that company from the 485 approval.?
Thanks for the info..

there is nothing written in stone regarding when and how long and stuff like that. i would think as soon as you can and preferably for 6 months atleast is what others recommended.

Just question regarding answer given by avi101:
1. Would some one has to start working right the way of GC approval?
2. If some one goes back to GC sponsoring company after > 10 months of GC
approval time, Will this consider no violation of "intend to work" to GC
sponsoring company?
Please post your thoughts.

harish
I dont know the answer to that nor do I think there is a firm answer. "Intent" is pretty subjective and I guess can be justified if you work with your employer under for a reasonable period within a reasonable time after getting GC.
Again, this is just my opinion.

harish99 said:
Just question regarding answer given by avi101:
1. Would some one has to start working right the way of GC approval?
2. If some one goes back to GC sponsoring company after > 10 months of GC
approval time, Will this consider no violation of "intend to work" to GC
sponsoring company?
Please post your thoughts.

One second?

I would suggest staying on as long as 6 months, but from what I have read in the past, since GC is future based employment and sometimes due to events that are beyond the control of a company (economic downturn), I have read that people never actually worked for the company that sponsored their GC.

So since there is nothing written in stone how long u must work for the company that sponsored u, I would think even 1 second should be fine.

PS: I worked for 1 year since the time i got GC with my current employer before quitting. (I will be quitting this August)

Folks, what would happen if you get laidoff say within few months of getting your GC.
Intent issues pretty much go away I assume ?

veryblue said:
Folks, what would happen if you get laidoff say within few months of getting your GC.
Intent issues pretty much go away I assume ?

You had intent in this case. Unfortunately (actually fortunately), you got laid off, so you move to another company.

USCIS will not doubt your intent.