Million dollar question about traffic tickets!

allaboutgc

Registered Users (C)
Friends please add your comments to the quesion that I found in the traffic ticket thread... Your opinion will surely help lots of people!

Did NOT report Traffic violations on N400. What is the best way to handle this during Interview?

My wife and I had filed N400s before I joined this forum. We iterpreted the questions about "Arrest, Cittations, ...." (Part 10 D, questions 15, 16 ,& 17) as not needing to report traffice citations. So, we both answered "No" to all three. After going thru this thread it seems to me that we should have reported the traffic violations.

It was a genuine interpretation mistake. Can't go back and change the original N400 form. But, what is the best way to handle this going forward?

1. Should we take a chance to see if IO asks questions about citations and then explain that we have citations (and be ready with our motor vehicle records) but incorrectly interpreted the question on N400

If the officer asks "Have you ever been arrested, cited or detained", shall we say No (to be consistent with the form) or Yes (we have traffic tickets)?

2. Volunteer the citations info in the beginning or somewhere during the interview and explain how we incorrectly interpreted the question on the N400 form.

For details:
- I have traffic violations in 1996 (speeding), 2002 (accident), and 2009 (speeding).
- My wife has traffic violations in 2005 (speeding) and 2007 (speeding.)

You don't have to worry about them as long as they were under $500.00 if they exceed that amount then you can disclose them in the n400 interview with certified court records indicating that they were paid for and taken care of i don't think they will be a problem for you guys because they were just speeding/traffic tickets. If you forgot to disclose something in the application the n400 interview is the time to correct it but i don't think you would need to do that just try to get depositions just in case from all your guys traffic tickets incase they ask for them.

For what it's worth, here's my story. I had about 5 minor traffic tickets, all less than $500 fines. I answered NO to the question on N-400 application. At the interview, the IO asked me if I'd ever been arrested. I truthfully said NO. He asked me if I'd ever been cited or detained by a police officer. I said "YES, just a few traffic tickets." He said "Is that all?" and I said YES and he moved on. IO did not ask for proof, nor did I have any proof with me.

USCIS does not care about minor traffic tickets.

I suggest you do the same at your interview; truthfully answer the question being asked. Worst that can happen (and I cannot even imagine it happening) is that they insist on seeing proof of payment for your minor tickets and you'll have to figure out what to do at that time.

allaboutgc, forum members have more than enough from you...

Thanks for the reply. You guys totally misunderstood me. Please read my posts again.

The problem I had with the other guy was not for his questions, but for the fact that when he asked for help, he promised that he would post his interview experience here in return for all the people who had helped him. He never did and is a liar. I do not want to get into this anymore. Enough for it.

If person do not furnish his/her info, it does not mean that you call him/her liar and stupid. Forum members have more than enough from you...

malia, rjackal, I have deleted my post, can you delete yours? we are on a different thread and I do not want to mention about other things. Thanks

Moderator...pl help out allabout_gc....once again allabout_gc is using offensenvie languaage onec ag

If person do not furnish his/her info, it does not mean that you call him/her liar and stupid. Forum members have more than enough from you...

moderator,
pl help out allabout_gc. Once again allabout_gc is using offensive language on this forum...see my earlier mail where I quoted his "offensive language".... Now, he/she is asking me to delete mail as my mail is "quoting" what offensive language allabout_gc is using against forum members...

Moderator...here is quote of allaboutgc asking me to delete my post...

malia, rjackal, I have deleted my post, can you delete yours? we are on a different thread and I do not want to mention about other things. Thanks

Moderator, for your reference...pl look at post of rjackal in this thread for offensive language of allaboutgc

Thanks for calling me a liar once again. Folks he has posted a genuine question so please help him out if you can. 'allaboutgc' please look below for the comments from my experience:

Friends please add your comments to the quesion that I found in the traffic ticket thread... Your opinion will surely help lots of people!

Did NOT report Traffic violations on N400. What is the best way to handle this during Interview?
-- I did the same thing

My wife and I had filed N400s before I joined this forum. We iterpreted the questions about "Arrest, Cittations, ...." (Part 10 D, questions 15, 16 ,& 17) as not needing to report traffice citations. So, we both answered "No" to all three. After going thru this thread it seems to me that we should have reported the traffic violations.
-- As long as fine is less than $500 you should be alright

It was a genuine interpretation mistake. Can't go back and change the original N400 form. But, what is the best way to handle this going forward?

1. Should we take a chance to see if IO asks questions about citations and then explain that we have citations (and be ready with our motor vehicle records) but incorrectly interpreted the question on N400
-- that is exactly what I did. Try your best to get all you court dispositions, etc.. just as a back-up..

If the officer asks "Have you ever been arrested, cited or detained", shall we say No (to be consistent with the form) or Yes (we have traffic tickets)?
-- You should say 'Yes' to this one and let the IO know that they were speeding etc.. violations less than $500

2. Volunteer the citations info in the beginning or somewhere during the interview and explain how we incorrectly interpreted the question on the N400 form.
-- you do not need to do that.. just let the IO know at the time when the relevant question is asked. Incase IO does not ask the relevant question, than just let the IO know towards the end of your interview, incase IO ask do you have any questions or concerns?

For details:
- I have traffic violations in 1996 (speeding), 2002 (accident), and 2009 (speeding).
- My wife has traffic violations in 2005 (speeding) and 2007 (speeding.)
-- From what I think accidents should not count.. but I am not sure about it at all.. I have been in 4-5 accidents in the past 10 years, mostly other person fault.. but I did not mention that to IO.

Hopefully, this would help..

Best of luck for you and your wife's interview..

Last edited by a moderator: