Might need to reschedule fingerprinting. Please advice

shah007

Registered Users (C)
I am thinking of mailing my wife's N-400 tomorrow. My location is Fairfax, Virginia. However, she will need to leave for India in the mid of June.

Looking at the timelines on the tracker, it does not seem that she will be able to get her fingerprinting done before she leaves. If she gets her notice before she leaves, can I inform USCIS that she is out of the country and ask them to reschedule her fingerprinting. Should I call them or email them? Has anyone of you ever done it before?

Thanks!

If she gets the fingerprint notice while she's still in the US, she should take the notice and go for a walk-in the next day.

When at the USCIS office, she should simply hand over the notice and act as if nothing is wrong -- don't mention the different date unless they bring it up. If they make an issue of it she can show that she has travel plans.

I am thinking of mailing my wife's N-400 tomorrow. My location is Fairfax, Virginia. However, she will need to leave for India in the mid of June.

Looking at the timelines on the tracker, it does not seem that she will be able to get her fingerprinting done before she leaves. If she gets her notice before she leaves, can I inform USCIS that she is out of the country and ask them to reschedule her fingerprinting. Should I call them or email them? Has anyone of you ever done it before?

Thanks!

As Jackolantern said, in practice most ASCs allow walk-in FPs before the official FP appointment date printed on the FP notice.

Moreover, the date printed on the FP notice is not a hard date in terms of rescheduling either.
The FP notice will contain some specific instructions on what to do if an applicant missed the original FP appointment date. These instructions typically specify some days of the week within a certain time window (e.g. two months) after the original FP appointment date when FP can be done if the applicant missed the original appointment.
So your wife does not need to request that FP be rescheduled, even if an early walk-in somehow does not work.