Miami oath experience

goodyear07

Registered Users (C)
Here is my interview experience link http://boards.immigrationportal.com/showthread.php?t=232267&highlight=miami

My oath experience (Miami, Florida)
===================================

Hi, yesterday, Dec 19th I completed my oath ceremony at Miami Beach. My wife case still pending with oath part remaining.
Oath ceremony was at 12pm. Parking in miamibeach convention center was a hassle. Closeby parking costs minimum 10 dollars cash. If anyone scheduled I say get there atleast 2 to 3 hours ahead of time find parking.

Approx 3600 people attended from 89 countries for the oath. Coast gaurd/Border Security did their march as part of the ceremony. It was a huge hall. Total of 6000 including guests. We were told to stand in long long queues, with oath letter (all questions checked and signed). Before we entered the hall from queues, green cards were stapled to the oath letter (signed).

We were shown our seats. USCIS officer came and collected the letter with green cards. Started with start spangle banner, followed by 30 min key note speaker regarding citizenship, and then with pledge of allegiance, certificate distribution by USCIS officers. Started at 1pm and lasted till 2.30 pm. We became citizens at that time.

Sameday (dec 19) I went back to a copier place. Signed the certificate exactly like in the photograph. True signature is the name signed in cursif without any abbreviations. I made sufficient copies of certificate, for my backup. Went, yesterday, dec 19, to a local passport processing center near my home. I applied for expedited service (an extra 60 dollars) total fee of 157 for the passport. The day before I got two passport pictures taken from local AAA office (8 dollars for two prints). Passport agent told me photos without glasses (I had both versions as I wear glasses). I gave original certificate for passport application, I signed as I signed on driverslicense (this is shorter abbreviated version I sign).

To clarify regarding signatures for the fellow applicants: Practice cursif "true signature" (no abbreviations, first middle lastname suffix etc format) before the interview and oath. At interview time on application, photos at interview and oath certificate signature is "true signature". For passport application we need to sign in front of agent per license (because mine was abbreviated version on drivers license). Hope this clears the confusion.

By 4.30 pm I completed my passport application. Took 30 minutes with waiting. I was told I will get it in 15 business days. I am thinking I will get the passport in 10 days.

I still have to register for vote and change status at social security office. What else am I missing after becoming citizen?? Please post your suggestions.

I am from india. I am planning to apply for OCI or PIO (which is like multi-entry/multi-purpose life long visa, a pseudo dual citizenship) after I get my passport in hand.

That was the journey folks. I came to US in 91 with F1 visa, F1 practical training (1yr), H1, H1 7th year extention, green card consular processing, N400 application were the events of this journey.

Hope my experience helps others. I request fellow members of this board, please share their progress, issues, how you resolved it on this board.

I wish everyone good luck.

I thank Mr. Rajiv Khanna and his team for helping all immigrants with this great service to the community. All members are very kind and answered many questions I had in the past. Thank you all from the bottom of my heart.

Congratulations

Congratulations goodyear.

The long immigration juerney is finally over, enjoy your freedom from the CIS.

Regards,

Moody

Question: for your expedited passport did they need proof of travel, like tickets?

No tickets needed for expedited passport (just extra 60 dollars will do it).

thanks

Yes Moody22,
Its finally completed for me. Hope you get yours the next one soon. I know you are from Miami, I read your very frustrating story. How did your interview go.

Thanks

Congrats and kudos!!! 15 years of dealing with INS/BCIS/USCIS. I can only imagine how taxing it must have been. My K-1 entry to oath took 4 years (11/21/2002 to 11/21/2006) and I thought that was a long ordeal!!! :)

goodyear07 said:
That was the journey folks. I came to US in 91 with F1 visa, F1 practical training (1yr), H1, H1 7th year extention, green card consular processing, N400 application were the events of this journey.

Why did the passport agent ask for photos without glasses? My understanding is that if you wear your glasses all the time, your photos should be with glasses.

Why did the passport agent ask for photos without glasses? My understanding is that if you wear your glasses all the time, your photos should be with glasses.

I dont know. My photos with glasses had glare when taken at AAA. So the AAA photographer did one more set without glasses for me. So I gave those to passport agent.