Miami OATH 2006

cyanblue said:
I received the letter today, too! :eek: :eek: I am scheduled for Thursday, April 13th. It has been a long 19-month journey for me and I am glad it'll finally be over.

Thanks Luizpaolo, and Maru-06 for your kind replies! :) Best of luck to everyone!!

Not for that.... we are all in the same boat. I'm already a citizen since last December but my wife was delayed to April 12th. After then we will be safe and clear and a long journey will end...and looks like it will be for all of us which is great... I'm really happy for you all specially Cyanblue which was left on the dark for so long... Congrats to you all and wait until you feel the relief of having that piece of paper in your hands.

Enjoy, rejoyce, party and drink to it... it is the end of the journey and you get there !!!!!

:D

Luizpalo:

My interview is on the 13th at 8. Apart from the letter, passport, green card and the reentry permit, is there anything else I need to bring? Can you also let us know how your wife's oath went so that we know what to expect the next day.

Thanks.

dingleberry said:
Luizpalo:

My interview is on the 13th at 8. Apart from the letter, passport, green card and the reentry permit, is there anything else I need to bring? Can you also let us know how your wife's oath went so that we know what to expect the next day.

Thanks.

Well, I took only my green card and oath letter. If by any chance you answered yes to any of the questions in the back of the letter then you will need to take evidence with you. If it is a traffic ticket or anything like that take the payment evidence with you. If something a little more serious like mariage, etc SINCE THE INTERVIEW (they are not interested in what happened before the interview as this should be resolved already then) take whatever documentation you have.

Since you had some reentry permits take them with you. I'm quite sure they won't ask for them but better be safe. Do not volunteer documentation or information that is not asked or requested in the oath letter.

As you get to the Convention center there will be a long line (pending the time you arrive, of course). Do not despair, at the scheduled time they will open the gate and it will flow quickly to inside where normally there will be 3 or four lines in one of the open spaces taking you to another filled with chairs and having the sector printed in your letter identified. You will have to go there and surrender your letter and green card. If you have answered yes to any of the questions in the back of the letter they will send you to another desk with officers that - I'm not sure as I didn't go there - will check and probably ask you some questions. If it makes you get calm all the ones that went there from my sector came back to the oath meaning that they weren't prevented to do the oath and get their certificates.

If you don't have to go to any other place your green card will be stapled to the oath letter and taken to a group of desks where they will match with your certificate.

Attention all: The surrender of the certificate is positional so do not change chairs after surrending your GC and letter otherwise you may have a though time finding your cerificate later.

The ceremony will go from there with some messages, an invited person that will address for a couple of minutes and a call for people of each country represented there. Not necessary to say that here in Miami the Cuban crowd rules and very close by the Colombians... but the happiest group are the Brazilians (yeah !!!...). In the end there is the oath and applause.

The officers will then come with the certificate in hand, chair by chair, and deliver your beloved certificate. CHECK THE DATA... a wrong name or other data not claimed at this time will be a nightmare afterwards.

All ready, go party.... you are now an American Citizen !!! and rush to the Social Security office to update your status as well as to the Passport office to get your blue one.

All this data is based in my oath and may change so get there early - specially if you have to find a parking space. I will update as requested after my wife's oath on the 12th. Just posted this as there are someone going on the 6th.

And to finalize: all INS officers attending the ceremony were great, helping specially the elder and non English speaking persons. I don't know how your experiences be but regarding the naturalization officers all of them from the submission of the N400 to the ceremony date were great, not a hint of a problem with any of them.

Relax, it is easier than you think...the worst is over...

;)

LuizPaulo,

Great information as always. How long did the entire ceremony last? We were asked to report at 8 AM. Will it take all morning? Also, did you see any one bring their kids?

Thanks.

anno1 said:
LuizPaulo,

Great information as always. How long did the entire ceremony last? We were asked to report at 8 AM. Will it take all morning? Also, did you see any one bring their kids?

Thanks.

I was in and out in about two hours and half. At 12:00PM the doors were open and it took about an hour and fifteen minutes to have all seated and ckeared. Ceremony itself took around 30 minytes and the remaining time for delivering the certificates which is a one by one job done by the allocated officers to your sector. You should be out of there by 10:30 the latest. They had another ceremony at 12:00 so they must prepare the place again.

OF COURSE...they may change it for any reason so be prepared for any changes. It is better to be there at 8:00 sharp although back in December I saw some getting in as late as 12:45 for the 12AM one.... but you wouldn't want to come this long just to lose it for being late.... wake up early... get there early - traffic is always crazy... I arrived at 11:00 for the 12:00 ceremony as I live in Kendall and it is about 24 miles of traffic...just because I was early Murphy didn't show up...

:D

anno1 said:
thanks. Did you see any one bring kids?

I didn't see any kids inside the oath area. There were many in the public view area (behind the oath) but since I was not paying attention I may be wrong...better check calling the DO.
:confused:

Hi Luizpaulo, Hope things are going alright right now with your wife's oath.

Please tell us about it once you get back. Also I have a question regarding photographs. Do we need to take some photographs with us or they are not required?

I'm scheduled for the 8:00 ceremony tomorrow morning (April 13th). How was the parking? The only bad part I see is having to leave the house so early. Since I live in Kendall, I figure if I'm out the door by 6:00 I should be ok. Maybe a little earlier. This has been an 8 year process for me. I'll be so glad once it's all over.

Thanks, Good luck to everyone...

grobicheau;

I live in Kendall also close to Hammocks. My wife left at 6:50 and got there at 7:50 but got scared to lose the time because of the traffic. 6:00 PM seems to radical but better be safe than sorry. 6:30 seems ok as traffic peaks around seven so you will be by the airport then... My wife didn't have a problem to park in the public parking to the right of the convention center. Going earlier would be easier of course. She was out of there with the certificate by 10:00AM wich is 30 minutes less than mine in December. She said also that it was less pompous than mine so it went faster.

Go early... you didn't wait that much for having it hampered by traffic. Good Luck and feel the happiness of being a citizen.

Let us know how it went.

Cheers

:)

April 13th: Finally, it is over. Me and my wife ended up taking kids since it was hard to find sitters so early. The officers did not mind, as both of us were part of the cermony. Traffic was not too bad. We got there at 7:30. But the convention center parking lot was already full. We were directed to an extended event parking lot, a few blocks down (on the same street). So, by the time we parked and walked back, we were already late by 10 min. They seem to have simplified the ceremony even further. We were asked to sit in the section that was on the letter and we did not have to go any where. They collected the GC and letter at our seat. The ceremony lasted about 30 to 40 minutes. They brought the certificates to our seat. We were out by 9:30.

Hope every one else had a good one as well...

Cheers!

It is O*V*E*R* here also

After all these years we are, finally, a fully citizenship family. My wife got it yesterday and it is the end of a long journey.

I hope you all got the certificate and have now a free and happy life.

I will be around but not as frequently as before, of course. If someone needs to talk to me please PM and I will be always available. I have a lot of years in this process and I may give a couple of useful tips for the ones still in the process. Too good for me that the naturalization process didn't have any hicups and it was uneventful since day one.

A final word to the naturalization team from the Miami DO Office: I don't know each of you experience but mine couldn't be better. All the officers I got in contact had a great attitude and were very supportive. Kudos to all of them and hopefully, someday, all the DO's will be the same.

It was really nice to contact each and everyone of you. I'm very glad that I could be of help as I was helped too. Just to know the date progress and match to your case would be sufficient to justify this forum. It is incredible how information empowers you. Thanks Mr. Rajiv for mantaining this forum.

So, that's it guys... Congratulations to all that got the certificate already and good luck for the ones on the line.

Again, anything..PM me. I will be around.

Cheers all :D entering in idle mode ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
I am done !! Had exactly the same experience as anno1 ( My oath was same day too, Apr 13, 8 am ). Parking was a pain but everything after that was a breeze. Thanks Luizpaulo and all others in this forum who helped a lot. Now I am trying to get a US passport. I am thinking of applying for the expediated one so I can get it in 2 weeks. Also thanks anno1 for the useful website. I filled out the SS form too and will submit all these things next week.
One more questions. Should I fill out the voter registration card from florida? The reason I ask is that I will be moving to a different state in another 2 months. Should I wait to move to that state and fill out the voter registration card?

• Application Sent: Nov 2005
  • Finger Prints: Jan 20 2006
  • Interview: Mar 31 2006 - Miami
  • Ceremony: Wating... :(
You guys think they will do a huge ceremony on the 4th of july?

congralutation :) :) :) Still waiting for the letter...... interviewed on 04/14/2006 :confused: :confused: thank u for the info :) :) :) :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Miami N400 Interview

Hi, so glad to see many people from Miami here. I went to interview on Feb/24/06. The officer gave me the form N-652, said that I passed the test of English and U.S. history and government, a decision cannot yet be made about my application because waiting for security check. I haven't received the oath letter until now. Should I go to USCIS Miami office to check? By the way I requested to change my name, is this another reason caused the delay?