Messed Up????

YnotCanada

Registered Users (C)
I need to land before Oct'2003 (PR visa expires) and had applied as a single applicant in 2001. I got married last month. Can I still land ? How do I apply PR for my wife? What are the problems I will be facing? does anyone has this kind of experience ? Please let me know.

thanks,
Ramesh

Help

CIC wont talk. I gotta send a fax. It will be months before I get a reply. Anybody had experienced this kind of situation, or aware of what to do ?? Please let me know

you can try their Call Centre numbers and then ask them what to do from there

The numbers are on CIC site

I heard about similar situation once, a friend of my friend ran into similar situation and when he informed canadian office buffalo they cancelled his visa and asked him to re-apply as married person. You should have landed in canada before your marriage even for few days and then could go again after marriage to sponsor your wife I heard it has become easier to sponsor wife from canada now a days.
Call (416) 973-4444 and talk to an imm officer, and see what they say.

Last edited by a moderator:
in worst case scenario, land alone as yourself, it's not like on the POE they going to ask you whether you married or single. a month later file for your wife. but, check with the rules so you know what marriage date to declare.

consult an attorney, someone with free consultation, what the law says in your case.

I would advise go to Canada and avail the opportunity of landing, after landing you can sponsor your wife. Make sure you get the PR card before returning.

If you submit your wifes application, before landing it will take almost same amount of time as it did with your application, are you prepared for that long wait of uncertainty. Now new rules apply, IELTS is a must.

Make things certain, ie avail the landing option, it will make things much easier and certain for you.

Regarding your marriage, post date it after landing and returning, it will save you from alot of hassle.

can't land as single

my passport says that I am married including my spouse name.

What are the chances of imm. officers overlooking that?

:-(

called CIC

CIC wants me to send a fax to Buffalo and proceed as what Buffalo says. According to CIC I cannot land as POE would ask me about my marital status, and if I land, I would be misrepresenting myself. :-(
(who makes these rules!!~)

I think: probably they would cancel my present PR visa and ask me to apply for my wife. Faxed to Buffalo today. Will wait and see!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Have a look!

This question was in the FAQs list. Hope this would give you some idea!

AFTER THE VISA IS ISSUED

Question:

I wasn't married when I applied for immigration but I'm married now. Can I land in Canada alone and sponsor my spouse once I am in Canada?

Answer:

No, you will not be allowed to land when you appear at the Port of Entry in Canada. Your spouse must meet the criteria for immigration before you can become a landed immigrant. Please send a fax or letter to the Consulate advising of your marriage. Include a copy of your marriage certificate and you will be provided with instructions.

Good Luck!

Do not listen to the ill advise given by some members, please go to Canada and make the landing if your process is almost done.

CIC will never know of your marriage if you dont tell them, if you have not informed them keep quite about it.

Once you get your Permanent resident status and PR card, then sponsor your wife, but make sure you dont mess around with the dates, which will be essential.

Forget about misrepresentation, sometimes truth will delay things signficantly, and in some case truth can be very harmful, so its upto your judgement.

A bird in hand is better then 9 in the bush. Grab the first bird, then think of those in the bush, you will be better of.

Did you get letter from CIC about "Marital Status Misinformation"?

How did you solve that??

I am facing same problem. Yesterday I received notice from CIC about "Martial Status Misinformation". I am confused what to do?

Help me

Manish
905-897-7650

Hi,
I have gone through the same problem.
I added my wife on the file
and later my daughter even when i was approved.
But thats the right thing to do.

Even when it means it takes longer.
Cos once u reach canada individually and then try to sponsor ur wife, it takes very long for her to accompany you.

And the visa is invalidated logically

jay