membership in EA petition

Joo77

Registered Users (C)
After I read something (including this forum) I feel it is hard to make an EA case. All ten areas listed can be very strict and argurable. I can say have only some confidence in the Scholarship (reference letters) and Authorship (publications and citations). The third area is hard to find... I know INS are very picky about Award and Judge (of other's work) and Media exposure. High salary won't fall on us poor researchers. What left is the membership and I know most paid membership means nothing.
So what kinds of membership do count in EA case? Can anyone give some specific examples?
Otherwise, I feel stuck with one two areas, no hope for EA. But really do not go to OR to be a cheap labor for the boss for another 2 years.
Maybe EA does mean for "Extraordinary Ability", agree?

Joo77 said:
After I read something (including this forum) I feel it is hard to make an EA case. All ten areas listed can be very strict and argurable. I can say have only some confidence in the Scholarship (reference letters) and Authorship (publications and citations). The third area is hard to find... I know INS are very picky about Award and Judge (of other's work) and Media exposure. High salary won't fall on us poor researchers. What left is the membership and I know most paid membership means nothing.
So what kinds of membership do count in EA case? Can anyone give some specific examples?
Otherwise, I feel stuck with one two areas, no hope for EA. But really do not go to OR to be a cheap labor for the boss for another 2 years.
Maybe EA does mean for "Extraordinary Ability", agree?

All ten criteria *are* arguable, which is why treating your application like a legal document is important. The trick is to go in with as many criteria as possible and hope you hit 3. If your application only mentioned the three above, you would surely get rejected. I am sure an experienced attorney would help you get 7-8. When I hired mine, we covered all kinds of ground that I never imagined would have qualified.

Brian

yelaine said:
Brian, would you please let me know your lawyer's name?

I used Stephen Jeffries and Associates in New York City 4 years ago. I got EB1-EA and NIW approved without RFE's.

Brian

I am not sure how EA cases are evaluated. A friend of mine got his EA approved few months ago. He applied while he was a PhD student. Only had two publications, several abstracts, couple of invited presentations, and approx. 8 reference letters. He did not have a job offer yet!! I think it is all in how good your application is drafted.

I was a little frustrated when read the AAO decisions on EA appeals. It looks the standard is high. AAO does not buy anything "cheap", or not substantial. And, it looks AAO do their homework well. So it is not easy to just "draft" a nice application and try to fool the AAO. They look at each evidence carefully and picky. They ignor most of acclaim made by cousel who supposely had made a strong "drafting".

But, it also looks things may be different at Service center level, because we can not see the cases which were approved by the Service centers. So, maybe just need to have a good luck and hopefully the case can go through service center with relatively weak background but a great "drafting".

I really think at AAO level, the credentials are more important than "drafting".

As Brian has mentioned all 10 criteria’s are arguable. I too, used SJ and Associates last year (October). Both my EB11 and NIW were approved within 11 months and I have already received the cards. I do agree that you will have to do your part of the work. Who best knows about your accomplishments other than the person who achieved the accomplishment? The lawyer will lead you to think about all areas which you might miss as very trivial or a minor issue. The lawyer will convert your documents into a legal document and this is what helps you get through with USCIS.

AneesHarhur said:
I am not sure how EA cases are evaluated. A friend of mine got his EA approved few months ago. He applied while he was a PhD student. Only had two publications, several abstracts, couple of invited presentations, and approx. 8 reference letters. He did not have a job offer yet!! I think it is all in how good your application is drafted.

I'm sure there was more to his application than what you mention. Plus, one doesn't need a job offer for EA.

Lamonte .. My background is very similar to that of my friend. Unfortunately my application is still pending since 2002!
You are correct. There might be other things included in the application as I am not knoledgable of how my friend filed her application. But I know her background fairly well. She was doing a PhD in an average univeristy. Had two pulications (one first author and a second as a co-author) in an applied science field. Pobth publications in an average international journals. Several (probably 10) meeting abstracts. Two or three invited presentations at meetings (which probably made all the difference). Two intern positions during summers. Excellent recommendation letters and a good lawyer!! However, there might be something else that my friend never mentioned to me. Bottom line, and this is my person opinion and I am NOT a lawyer, an EA and a NIW could be approved even with an average credentials if the appliaction is written with strong words that indicate importance and value!!