Members who obtained GC through asylum visited COP

Atique.Rahman

Registered Users (C)
Members, please inform your experience visiting COP after obtaining PR status (AS6) principal applicant.
Want to see if anyone had any problem at port of entry while coming back. Don't need to know no fact sheet stuff but actual experiences please.
Atique.

Great idea !!!

Yes, let's use this thread only to share related experiences, but not opinions, just to avoid the endless discussion. (there are plenty of threads to do so).

I traveled to COP (Colombia) with GC+NP, after 7.5 yrs. At POE i was asked no questions whatsoever.
I am AS6.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hello

I traveled to my COP after 6.5 years with NP+GC. I was asked just routine questions. I am AS6.
My Wife traveled on different dates using NP+ GC and she did'nt get any questions.
Now the big question is: Is there someone who got the Citizenship after traveled his/her COP ?

Travelco
GC holder since 01/30/2005

assalam alaykum atique

Members, please inform your experience visiting COP after obtaining PR status (AS6) principal applicant.
Want to see if anyone had any problem at port of entry while coming back. Don't need to know no fact sheet stuff but actual experiences please.
Atique.

i really think it depends on the officer at the POE, most the immigration officers really dont care, they dont ask any question,i went

back to my country before i got green card using RTD, i came back without any problems,

it really depend on each officer mood

Great idea !!!

Yes, let's use this thread only to share related experiences, but not opinions, just to avoid the endless discussion. (there are plenty of threads to do so).

I traveled to COP (Colombia) with GC+NP, after 7.5 yrs. At POE i was asked no questions whatsoever.
I am AS6.

Thanks Don.

Hello

I traveled to my COP after 6.5 years with NP+GC. I was asked just routine questions. I am AS6.
My Wife traveled on different dates using NP+ GC and she did'nt get any questions.
Now the big question is: Is there someone who got the Citizenship after traveled his/her COP ?

Travelco
GC holder since 01/30/2005

Thanks Travelco.
Atique.

i really think it depends on the officer at the POE, most the immigration officers really dont care, they dont ask any question,i went

back to my country before i got green card using RTD, i came back without any problems,

Thanks John.
Atique.

Your country of origin put a stamp on your RTD when you are still a citizen?

Your country of origin put a stamp on your RTD when you are still a citizen?

they stamped my RTD without any questions or problems,

i came from a country that does not really care, unfortunate we have too much war and problems in my country,

few months a go i renewed my NP without any problems

they stamped my RTD without any questions or problems,

i came from a country that does not really care, unfortunate we have too much war and problems in my country,

few months a go i renewed my NP without any problems

Again, I think we have concluded that the problems do not arise when re-entering the US. The problems MAY arise during the citizenship interview. But again, if you had bona fide reasons to visit your COP (either as an asylee or LPR) you should not have an issue. The intent is the key, I would think.

vdostoi1,

The issue here is not just the U.S government. It can also be the government of COP. See another thread where someone is reporting that a lpr is not allowed to leave the COP b/c of the asylum coded green card.

Again, I think we have concluded that the problems do not arise when re-entering the US. The problems MAY arise during the citizenship interview. But again, if you had bona fide reasons to visit your COP (either as an asylee or LPR) you should not have an issue. The intent is the key, I would think.

i went back to my country many years ago, before the HSD was created,

at that time airlines did not share their data with the INS,

there is no record i went back to my country

vdostoi1,

The issue here is not just the U.S government. It can also be the government of COP. See another thread where someone is reporting that a lpr is not allowed to leave the COP b/c of the asylum coded green card.

Yes, I agree. I guess I was just addressing the US side of the issue.

vdostoi1,

I'm fortunate my country is not fully aware of those GC category thing. Nor they have the modern tecnology to find that out.
Atique.

Hi Atique,

Can you send me your email address in Private message, i have few questions for you that i d like to ask via email if you dont mind.

Thanks,

Got my gc (AS6) in August 2005, went to COP that December, for 5 weeks, using NP. Got probably a total of questions when entering POE in SF, only: Where did you go, how long were you there for. Then: Welcome home.

I'm going to COP again next month.

my national passport expired in the late 90s and never bothered to renew it. To be honest i am so tired of those people who run that govt. If it wasn't for my family and their welfare i would really not be concerned. I had a terrible life experience in my country birth, sometimes I don't understand why people go back outside of family emergencies

No one goes for fun. People usually have obligations to take care of ailing parents, relatives, property, even tombs in some cases. We have roots and unfortunatly they are not in this country.
I wish I was born here.

Got my gc (AS6) in August 2005, went to COP that December, for 5 weeks, using NP. Got probably a total of questions when entering POE in SF, only: Where did you go, how long were you there for. Then: Welcome home.

I'm going to COP again next month.

Thanks Devi. Appreciate your experience.
Atique.