Medical Physical Exam - Insurence coverage

workhomes2003

Registered Users (C)
Does anyone know whether the health insurance, covers the immigration Physical exam expense if the doctor visited is with in the provider list.

USCIS told me point blank, it will not be covered.
Guess what, it wasn't covered.

Do yourself a hugh favor, when you call for the list of doctors - I would
take down at least 4, and check their prices. I was quoted here in NJ
from 320.00 up to 650. I paid 320.

workhomes2003 said:
Does anyone know whether the health insurance, covers the immigration Physical exam expense if the doctor visited is with in the provider list.
The X-Ray is covered. Rest comes out of your pocket.
In california, i got a range from $160-$1200. Look for surgeons in different zip codes and be prepared to drive a bit far if you get a cheaper one. Oh, and most surgeons i called accept ONLY cash. Not sure how it is in other states.

thanks Ari4u. We have actually completed the exam and got the report. since this is lot of money, I am begining to think, may insurance covers this. we went with a DR from our provider list which also matched USCIS list...

workhomes2003 said:
thanks Ari4u. We have actually completed the exam and got the report. since this is lot of money, I am begining to think, may insurance covers this. we went with a DR from our provider list which also matched USCIS list...

My PCP refused to accept insurance for any immigration related test as it is not covered by my health insurance plan.

mine covers once a year physical exam but it does not say Immigration physical exm . Thats why I wanted to see whether anyone covered the cost with the insurence ...

I would be surprised if they cover it. You may get things like shots and x-ray covered, but not the exam itself. Did you pay the doctor after you had the exam?

My insurance didn't cover the X-ray. I have a student insurance through my school and they don't cover any 'preventing measures'. The X-ray is to check if you have something and not to fix it, so it's not covered. Kinda dumb.

I doubt any insurance will cover it since it's a specific, unnecessary, checkout for your health.

It's true what other people have said though, look around, sometimes you might have to go a little more far away or wait a little longer and get a cheaper price. I guess it depends on what's more importart to you between money, distance and wait time.

Good luck!

Here in California, I had my medical done for $235 at a very nice practice close to where we live. That included the xray and all the shots as well as the doctor's exam.

Just look around, that just happened to be the first place we went to.

Also, we didn't have to pay up front, they gave us some leeway and allowed us to pay when everything was finished, which I've heard is not something doctors do all the time.

nope... ours wasnt covered.... but they do cover vaccines, and routine tests done by primary care physician.... i had our pcp order our chest x ray, cholesterol, syphylis and aids tests, and give us any vaccines necessary... these were all covered by our insurance... then we took the results and then went with them to the immigration doctor... the immigration doctor visit was not covered.

I got vaccine through insurance

I paid 120 dollars for the exam at the local surgeon in Edison, NJ and I got my vaccine shots through my insurance although I never told my doctor that its for immigration (Hey! i did not lie...I just kept quiet). The shots are covered by most insurance if you take it for first time. So I saved 180 dollars on vaccine.

U can check what vaccination u need and find cheap clinic and do it yourself so to speak. Every doctor is real expensive for the purpose of immigration for some reason. What I did is... I had all necesarry vaccinations, and I did HIV, syphillis and other testing on my own a month before immigration exam. I took my results to exam. Then I called around few different clinics and found the cheapest one. Total $130 considering they did TB test (no XRay) and last HEP B shoot. So you can do it yourself for a very good price. I live in Chicago.

I did mine in Dallas (Plano, TX) and if I remember correctly, it was just around $100 for everything. The receptionist/nurse at the clinic I went to, told me about the vaccines I needed to take and told me I could look around to see if I could find something cheaper and do it elsewhere and just show them the proof if I wanted to. I did look around and didn't find anything that was cheaper for all the shots. So I got it done at the same place.

P.S. Insurance doesn't cover any of this and I was told that upfront.

With so many answers...I think depends in the cost of doctors in your area and which one you are going to choose and how your insurance works/what type of insurance you have and what it covers.

Good luck,

I agree. You can go to the USCIS website and search for your zip code to find out all the qualified doctors in your area with their phone numbers. I just called up a few of them near my home and most of them also told me how much it would cost. For me, they were all competitive and I just picked one where I could go in the same day instead of having to setup an appointment and go later.

I was told point blank by every doctor I called in my state (I called about 10) that immigration-related examinations were not covered.

I have state benefits insurance which provides for an annual check-up (a poster mentioned annual check-up coverage) but according to the docs I consulted with, none of them said that it'd be "considered" since they were not my PCP and my PCP isn't an approved surgeon.

I already had all my vacinnations, so they only did a TB X-ray and looked at the piece of paper from my PCP. It ended up costing $350. I'm in NJ.

I still gotta go do mine....Hopefully it will be simple and easy I hate doctors and needles LOL ...Mine will be done in Missoula (which is a bit over 200 miles from where we live) shouldnt need any shots cause I have my childhood records and mine from Az when I had my daughter (Ruebella) so I guess its just the aids syphliss and tb skin test that I need to get done from him when I go ..

If you are an adult, then I you should have had a tetanus shot within the last 10 years and you should have gotten two MMRs (measels, mumps, and rubella). That is what the civil surgeon I when to said. I only had evidence of one MMR, so I got one of those, and I also got a Td shot (tetanus+diphtheria) since I did not have written evidence of a shot I had gotten 8 years ago. I think those two are the most important ones for adults. I was asked about chickenpox too, but I had it as a child. They took my word for it.