Medical Examinations Questions

kaali

Registered Users (C)
Hi,
I have done my medical check up on March and still haven't file 485 because I am still missing some docs to file concurrently. I heard (not sure) that the medical report expires after 3 months? Which means I have to redo the medical examinations? So I have to pay again to do that?

Please Help any suggestions would be greately appreciated.
Thanks
k :confused:

Medical exam validity

Unless they changed the rule recently what you said is not true.
The medical exam report is valid for one year meaning that you have 1 year to file the AOS (485/130/ ...etc) after the medical is completed.

Once it's filed then it's valid throughout the processing.

Since I filed my 485 in april 2002 my info may have been outdated so you may want to check with your atty to see if there's been any change on the validity.

As far as I know the validity is for one year only. If you do not get approved the nyou need to get it again. The indefinite validity rule expired in Jan 2005 is my understanding.

Indefinite validity rule

*** Indefinite validity rule expired in Jan 2005 ***

Does that mean

those who filed AFTER jan 2005 no longer covered by the benefit of indefinite validity ?

--- OR ----

those who filed EVEN BEFORE the rule expired in Jan 2005 have to redo the medical if their application has been pending for more than 1 year ?

It's very vague, huh ?! :confused:

My understanding is that if the application is adjudicated after Jan 2005 the medical should be valid at that time. So if my application is pending today and my medical expired yesterday I will need a new medical done. On the USCIS website under memos you can find that. It is many months old memo though. Please feel free to correct me if you think otherwise.

medical validity

tangohi, thanks for your feedback.
Luckily mine was approved on Dec 2004 and the medical was like 2 1/2 years old :D

If your interpretation of the rule is true, the backlog will increase even more then. Don't you think so ? ;)

Thanks Guys
So you are saying the medical reports are valid until one year that's good hopefully I would get everything done by then. I checked the uscis website but could not find this information.
Thanks again
Please clarify me if you think I have misunderstood

ok I am currently getting ready to apply GC through family based. I have almost everything ready. But I did my medical in march, I thought the doctor who did my medical said I had 3 months to apply or I had three months until I get that report to immigrations. I am pretty sure once it's there that's fine.
Still confused

?????

:eek: This is a little confusing. I recieved a letter for my appointment for adj. of status (I485 for marriage) and in the appointment checklist (under documents required for ALL interviews) says:
"- Medical Examination with vaccination attachment, Completed by Service authorized physician and submitted in a sealed envelop (Exceptions: Registry Cases and K1) "
I DID submit the medical certification with the application back on June of 2003 so that means that I have to do the exam again? Please help me in this one because I am clueless... Thanks

My interview letter said the same thing and I sent mine in with the 485 as well...I think it is just a standard letter.

Yeah, It looks standard. When is your interview? Are you going to take extra medical exams? BTW, My interview is June 22 and I recieved the letter like 2 days ago...

Fanito,

I have the same problem, my interview is in Atlanta on the 22nd.

Take a look at this PDF again.

http://uscis.gov/graphics/lawsregs/handbook/I693Extn120204Pub.pdf

I am 99% sure that it has been extended to Jan 2006

Due to the continuing backlog of some concurrently filed adjustment of status applications, the validity of the civil surgeon’s endorsement on Form I-693, when submitted in support of a concurrently filed adjustment of status application as provided for at 8 CFR 245.2(a)(2), is extended until the time of adjudication if no Class A or Class B medical condition is certified by the civil surgeon. This policy is in effect until January 1, 2006.

So if you have filed concurrently and have no Class A or B condition you should be ok. I will bring the copy of my medical exam that I made and I will also bring the memo.

Also take a look at 8 CFR 245.2(a)(2):
Proper filing of application -- (i) Under section 245.
(A) An immigrant visa must be immediately available in order for an alien to properly file an adjustment application under section 245 of the Act See § 245.1(g)(1) to determine whether an immigrant visa is immediately available. (Paragraph (a)(2)(i) revised 7/31/02; 67 FR 49561)

(B) If, at the time of filing, approval of a visa petition filed for classification under section 201(b)(2)(A)(i), section 203(a) or section 203(b)(1), (2) or (3) of the Act would make a visa immediately available to the alien beneficiary, the alien beneficiary's adjustment application will be considered properly filed whether submitted concurrently with or subsequent to the visa petition, provided that it meets the filing requirements contained in parts 103 and 245. For any other classification, the alien beneficiary may file the adjustment application only after the Service has approved the visa petition.

(C) A visa petition and an adjustment application are concurrently filed only if:

(1) The visa petitioner and adjustment applicant each file their respective form at the same time, bundled together within a single mailer or delivery packet, with the proper filing fees on the same day and at the same Service office, or;

(2) the visa petitioner filed the visa petition, for which a visa number has become immediately available, on, before or after July 31, 2002, and the adjustment applicant files the adjustment application, together with the proper filing fee and a copy of the Form I-797, Notice of Action, establishing the receipt and acceptance by the Service of the underlying Form I-140 visa petition, at the same Service office at which the visa petitioner filed the visa petition, or;

(3) The visa petitioner filed the visa petition, for which a visa number has become immediately available, on, before, or after July 31, 2002, and the adjustment applicant files the adjustment application, together with proof of payment of the filing fee with the Service and a copy of the Form I-797 Notice of Action establishing the receipt and acceptance by the Service of the underlying Form I-140 visa petition, with the Immigration Court or the Board of Immigration Appeals when jurisdiction lies under paragraph (a)(1) of this section.

(ii) Under the Act of November 2, 1966. An application for the benefits of section 1 of the Act of November 2, 1966 is not properly filed unless the applicant was inspected and admitted or paroled into the United States subsequent to January 1, 1959. An applicant is ineligible for the benefits of the Act of November 2, 1966 unless he or she has been physically present in the United States for one year (amended from two years by the Refugee Act of 1980).

(i)(c)(1) should apply to you. Read it carefully and let me know if you come to the same conclusion.

Hope that helps...

Cheers,
Spongebob

Looks to me that you are right. I don't care if I have to take another exam with more shots and stuff but it's very inconvenient. Anyway, I think I'll see you in atlanta on the 22nd. My appt. is @ 1PM.

Ok, I'm sorry but I'm still confused. I got my medical done on 4/04. I sent in my I-130 and I-485 along with medical and got a receipt dated 8/04. Now I my interview date is 7/05, so do I need to get another medical done?

ptfffffff

I wish I'll be able to tell ya. The law (or memorandum) is not 100% clear about that situation. I wish more people will be able to tell us their experiences about this particular. As of me, I have the appointment in almost 1 week so I'll let you know what its going to happen... I'm NOT taking more exams because I wasn't diagnosed with anything. I hate going without knowing 100% but people here does not want to collaborate with this topic :mad: .

Last edited by a moderator: