Medical examination report shows positive for TB. Now What?

bhartiya_12

Registered Users (C)
My wife had her medical exam done few days ago and she got a positive reaction to skin for TB so had to go for a chest x-ray which she had today. The results will be mailed to the doctor in a few days and we are hoping the x-ray is negative.

My question is if the x-ray shows she has exposure to TB what happens to the Medical examination report I-693 form and how does that affect the AOS process?

Thanks

read the medical examinations details on the uscis.gov website. it clearly states that u cannot be denied if u have tb whether active or passive.Passive is when u are just exposed to the tb bacteria and do not have tb. so i think u would be given medications for 6 months and may then be approved or may just be approved and then asked to send in the proof that medications haev been taken for the required period of time which the doctor specifies.

read the medical examinations details on the uscis.gov website. it clearly states that u cannot be denied if u have tb whether active or passive.Passive is when u are just exposed to the tb bacteria and do not have tb. so i think u would be given medications for 6 months and may then be approved or may just be approved and then asked to send in the proof that medications haev been taken for the required period of time which the doctor specifies.

True, it is very clear on the USCIS website.

So if her x-ray results show active or passive exposure to TB, I guess the I-693 will state that and we can submit that 693 for AOS but that should not cause an adverse issue in the AOS process. Correct?

Can you send me the url on USCIS site where the rule for not denial is mentioned? I can't find it on the USCIS site.

I am more concerned about her health than AOS for sure. I have my priorities very much in order but thanks anyway for pointing it out.

She had the same tests done in India almost a year ago and everything was normal which is why we both think that this might not be a big issue. Also the lady doing the x-ray said that the TB skin test many times show positive signs but the x-ray shows up negative which is what we are hoping for.

I just wanted to find out the facts from an immigration standpoint.

bhartiya check this link:

http://www.uscis.gov/portal/site/uscis

check in the immigration medical examinations section on the left hand.

i dont think u should worry too much. In some countries where the BCG vaccinations are given most of them have a positive PPD test (skin). You do not have to worry about your wife having an abnormal chest xray because active TB is symtomatic. If she is fine like u said there is nothing to worry. anyway all the best.

I did read through the section but cannot find what you stated anywhere i.e. that TB(active or passive) is not reason for denial.

Where is that information on the web site?

Thanks

I have known of cases of foreign national with active TB that did NOT show up on normally used US skin tests. This is a problem at universities with large international student populations from certain parts of the world. A foreign student at a local university several years ago exposed hundreds to TB. It is one reason some physicians have faculty get annual chest xrays as well as skin tests.

I also know that individuals exposed to an individual with active TB are given a "better" skin test than the normal screening (happen to my children when a playmate was diagnosed with TB).