medical exam/ TB immunization

baikal3

Registered Users (C)
I am posting this on behalf of a friend who is going to file I-485 soon.

As myself, he is from the former Soviet Union. It is a common practice there to give people TB shots using a "live" vaccine.
(I think this practice is also common in some other countries).
That is what I received and my friend as well.
People who had a "live" vaccine shot usually have a positive reaction to the TB test that is done as a part of the I-693 medical examination.

When I went through the process myself in early 2001, I was lucky enough to have a knowledgeble doctor who knew about this and sort of forgave the positive test result to me when he was filling I-693.

However, I heard of cases where people are made to go through several months of taking antibiotics before their TB tests results turn to negative.

I don't know what the current practice is and I wonder if there are any people in this forum who had to deal with this problem. If yes, what exactly were you made to do and how much of a delay with filing I-485 did this cause?

Thanks!

If the TB test comes back positive, then the next step is to take a chest X-Ray.

Both my wife and I had TB vaccinations in the UK so we expected ours to be positive. We told the Dr and he skipped the skin test and told us to get chest X-Rays.

If you have medical insurance the cost of the X-Ray at an external lab should be pretty affordable compared to the Civil Surgeon's fee.