Medical Class B Condition

inline

Registered Users (C)
Hi, I just discovered this great forum.

I have an input and a question about my wife's medical result. Her TBC skin test was positive, but a subsequent chest X-ray test was negative. The doctor noted on the form that she has inactive TBC. This is a class B condition, not class A which contains the really bad things. (After some research we discovered, that she in fact doesn't have even inactive TBC, but the positive skin test reacted to her TBC vaccination she got as a child.)
Anyway, we already mailed the medical to INS. Does enyone have a similar medicul result and did INS request additional medical check-ups or treatments?
Thanks for your input.
inline

Myself:
RD: July 2002
FP: Nov 2004
RFI Received 08-31-05
RFI Received by USCIS 09-29-05
BIO: invitation not received yet
LUD: 10-03-05

My Wife:
RFI Received 08-31-05
BIO: Code 3 Done on 09-27-05

Last edited by a moderator:
This happened to my son. he is 18 years old. He was the only one who had the positive result for TB. The X-ray was clear. The doctor said this is due to some virus he must have got thru AIR! He didnt even need any treatment. We submitted the same result and no problem. He got the GC after 2 weeks. This was in Sept.

Uscis may ask you the result of 9 months treatment or no.this will depend on the officer.In my case ,I 'm a positive skin but the time I was sudmitting my result,my doctor submitted also the result of my 9 months treatment a took 2 years back,while a friend of mine has been asked to take a 9 months treatment by uscis and provide the result.
Good luck.

The doctors in us refuse to acknowlege that the TB positive/X-ray negative is from vaccination used in many countries. They put you on the strong antibiotics for 9 month "just in case". beasts.

inline said:

I have an input and a question about my wife's medical result. Her TBC skin test was positive, but a subsequent chest X-ray test was negative. The doctor noted on the form that she has inactive TBC. This is a class B condition, not class A which contains the really bad things. (After some research we discovered, that she in fact doesn't have even inactive TBC, but the positive skin test reacted to her TBC vaccination she got as a child.)
Anyway, we already mailed the medical to INS. Does enyone have a similar medicul result and did INS request additional medical check-ups or treatments?
Thanks for your input.
inline

Myself:
RFI Received 08-31-05

My Wife:
RFI Received 08-31-05

Unless someone visit those free community clinics where some paranoid ignorant nurses practioners make hesty decisions. A few years ago I had a similar problem at my college. The nurses refused to take classes unless I went on medication. My friend refered me to a visited a US doctor who had worked in my country. This doctor did the x-ray and then wrote a letter to the school demanding they readmitte me right away.

Thank you for comments

Thanks everybody for their insight.
Does anybody know in which form is the antibiotic for TB treatment? I mean tablets or what?
Thanks
inline

To inline and others:

While one has to comply with the local health rules, the decision to have treatment for latent TB (in the absence of any other clinical (no symptoms), radiological (perfectly normal X-ray) and biochemical evidence of TB except the positive skin test) should be made by YOU and your DOCTOR. The type of treatment, medication and duration depend on many factors: health history, present health, your RISK factor of developing TB, liver condition, drinking habits, HIV infection. You HAVE to be monitored during treatment to make sure mostly that your liver does not get damaged. CDC guidelines state clearly that each person is different and a 9 months treatment might not be appropriate for everybody. Accordingly, there are other drug regimens that can be given depending on each case.
Yes, I do agree with those of you saying health is more important.
And finally, some of the people that are candidates for preventive medication might want to take it. And this is fine, TB when active is no joke. But guidelines must be followed, including offering people proper care and information on the risks of TB vs. the risks of medication

inline said:

Thanks for your input.
inline

Myself:
RFI Received 08-31-05

My Wife:
RFI Received 08-31-05

Doing a Chest Xray solves every doubt for you and USCIS. I think people are getting confused about T.B Test. In the late 1990's, doctors used to do a skin test to see if you were T.B positive or not, now a days, they ask you, You want skin test or straight to the Xray(100 bucks more). Most of the applicants go for Xray because they dont want the hassle with the USCIS and dont want to put doubt in an already confused agency....I would suggest any new applicants to just get the XRAY and dont mess with the Skin test.

When your XRAY is clear, the doctor writes "No signs of T.B", whereas if your skin tested postive, the doctor writes , "Tested positive for T.B when administered Skin test but Xray found to be negative"....Its simple and straight forward answer but as usual USCIS loves to play games and "may" ask the applicant to take the preventive medicine because logically there is a chance for you to get T.B if you were positive..however if your chest is clear..you DON"T have t.b at this moment..

The confusion comes up with the Skin Test..Avoid that. In the meantime, you may wait and see what USCIS says or get the medicine anyways as per the doctor..If he doesn't give you any, have that note as to why and send that as evidence IF ASKED....

By the way I tested positive for T.B too with my skin test and took medicine cuz the stupid doctor made me..however my next medical exam this year, I said NO SKIN TEST and in the copy of medical records, it shows doctor saying "NO SIGNS OF T.B".....No is what USCIS likes...whether its giving your GC or anythign else :)

I do agree that the whole confusion is the skin test. It should not be given, unless you are in a risk factor group which is easy to establish.However, if you look at the law, one is required to have it done for adjustment of status. There are two exceptions from this: 1) persons who had in the past a positive skin test and 2)"If you are applying for adjustment of status under the Immigration Reform and Control Act of 1986". There might be other medical exemptions but just by your own choice, it does not work unless you are lucky and the immigration officer lets you go.
The doctor should ask you before starting any exam if you had a positive skin test in the past. I don't want to blame all of them, but I have seen cases when they don't ask.
Yes, a positive skin test does not mean you have TB, much less active TB which is the real cause of inadmissibility. It means either a false positive or latent TB.

dana123 said:
I do agree that the whole confusion is the skin test. It should not be given, unless you are in a risk factor group which is easy to establish.However, if you look at the law, one is required to have it done for adjustment of status. There are two exceptions from this: 1) persons who had in the past a positive skin test and 2)"If you are applying for adjustment of status under the Immigration Reform and Control Act of 1986". There might be other exemptions but just because you have been BCG vaccinated or your simple choice does not work unless you are lucky and the immigration officer lets you go.
The doctor should ask you before starting any exam if you had a positive skin test in the past. I don't want to blame all of them, but I have seen cases when they don't ask.
Yes, a positive skin test does not mean you have TB, much less active TB which is the real cause of inadmissibility. It means either a false positive or latent TB.
Most of us have TB immunizations - it's obligatory in most countries. The reason for positive test is the differences in vaccines used. You where immunized with one kind, but here they inject other kind and you don't have an antibodies for it. Hence the positive reaction.
Oh, "you" refers to anyone, me included ;)

Yes, it is true that a positive skin test can come from previous TB vaccination.
When you are vaccinated, your body will respond to it by creating antibodies against the molecules (antigens) in the vaccine. This is how your body creates immunity. This type of immune reaction has "memory", in other words the immunity that your body created will last for years. How long? Here it is where it depends on the vaccine used, its genetic make-up and purity, plus your own organism and some other factors (irrelevant here). When they give the tuberculin skin test, your body will react to it eventually with what they call "bump" depending on the presence of this memeory, as well as the presence of real TB OR viruses that share structural similarities with TB. That's why they give it: because you will react if you have TB (latent or active). But it will react TOO if your body still cary that memory (again people that were vaccinated CAN fall into this category) or your body was exposed to viruses similar to TB (the mycobacteria class). That's why this test is not 100% reliable and it can create problems for people that have been vaccinated against TB in their own countries.
Could anyone convince the doctor not to be given the skin test based on previous TB vaccination (they also call it BCG)?

dana123 said:
Could anyone convince the doctor not to be given the skin test based on previous TB vaccination (they also call it BCG)?
I guess you're NOT in IT field :)
Yes, i suggested this to my doctor and he said that i'll need to make chest X-ray. I decided to take the test, and it was negative (actually is negative - i did it this tuesday). The reason for that is that i took this test (then it was positive) 2 years ago - it's a routine test at my place of work.

Yes, I don't come from the IT field. I am however a victim of this positive test (I have been vaccinated twice in the past). I have a normal X-ray with no recommendation from the doctor on the I-693 form to get medication. But I do worry about the positive reaction note. I feel frustrated because I know and understand all these medical things, yet I am aware that the immigration officer can create problems.

dana123 said:
Yes, I don't come from the IT field. I am however a victim of this positive test (I have been vaccinated twice in the past). I have a normal X-ray with no recommendation from the doctor on the I-693 form to get medication. But I do worry about the positive reaction note. I feel frustrated because I know and understand all these medical things, yet I am aware that the immigration officer can create problems.
My doctor asked me to call him with the results of the test.. temptations, tmptations... but it appears to be normal. In your case I'd do an X-ray or bring a fresh one (less than 1 y.o.) to the doctor and convince him not to mention it.
These public surgeons usually don't really care what to write when you can prove that you don't have anything serious. I can recommend my doctor, if you're from NY area

inline said:

Thanks for your input.
inline

Myself:
RFI Received 08-31-05

My Wife:
RFI Received 08-31-05

OK GUYS, MY WIFE GOT APPROVED TODAY. NO ADDITIONAL INFO ASKED, NO HASSLES. :)
THANK YOU ALL AND GOOD LUCK.

My Wife:
RFI Received 08-31-05
APPROVED 1-10-06!!!

Myself:
RFI Received 08-31-05
APPROVED 12-2-05!!! Still waiting for bio and hence the GC :D :confused:

inline said:
OK GUYS, MY WIFE GOT APPROVED TODAY. NO ADDITIONAL INFO ASKED, NO HASSLES. :)
THANK YOU ALL AND GOOD LUCK.

My Wife:
RFI Received 08-31-05
APPROVED 1-10-06!!!

Myself: