Media: Denied N400 and GC revoked due to too soon job change after GC

Once a permanent resident, you have the total freedom to change jobs or take up any employment you want.
But you are not free (without penalty) to lie to USCIS before or after becoming a permanent resident. Failing to work for the sponsoring employer for a given length of time or at least work in the same profession after GC approval is a possible indicator that you weren't being truthful during the GC process. If there is wrongdoing, it would be for misrepresentation before you got the GC, not for the actual job change per se.

Similarly, permanent residents are free to travel to visit whatever country they want, but asylees traveling back to the country they escaped from can lose their GC. The GC revocation in such a scenario is not really for traveling to the former country, it is because visiting the former country is an indicator that they lied when applying for asylum.

AC21 - Similar job & pay a must

But you are not free (without penalty) to lie to USCIS before or after becoming a permanent resident. Failing to work for the sponsoring employer for a given length of time or at least work in the same profession after GC approval is a possible indicator that you weren't being truthful during the GC process. If there is wrongdoing, it would be for misrepresentation before you got the GC, not for the actual job change per se.

Similarly, permanent residents are free to travel to visit whatever country they want, but asylees traveling back to the country they escaped from can lose their GC. The GC revocation in such a scenario is not really for traveling to the former country, it is because visiting the former country is an indicator that they lied when applying for asylum.

The main purpose of AC21 it to enable an individual to change jobs if his/her GC is not approved within 6 months of applying i-485. If one lost job within 6 months of applying i-485, then it is a gray area. However it is not a big deal unless you did not get another similar job. Bottom line is one can change job with AC21 but similar job and similar pay is a must so that no red flays are raised.

There is a world of difference between misrepresenting and exercising your freedom to get a similar job in the same line of work. I agree with asylum case. But we are talking about employment based case here.

Please post the link. It doesn't matter if it is not in English. I'm sure someone in the board will understand the language and translate the interesting parts.

Here is the link in Korean
http://www.koreatimes.com/article/articleview.asp?id=521204

Here is my brief summary.

Since Oct 2008, more than 60,000 cases of N400 have been denied which is 34% increase compared to last year. It is 13% of total cases of 464,295 processed in the period.

LA Immigration attorney, Jane Chung, mentioned that changing/quitting job or divorce right after issue of GC were the recent increasing cases resulting and even some cases GC were revoked.

Makes sense - but

Here is the link in Korean
http://www.koreatimes.com/article/articleview.asp?id=521204

Here is my brief summary.

Since Oct 2008, more than 60,000 cases of N400 have been denied which is 34% increase compared to last year. It is 13% of total cases of 464,295 processed in the period.

LA Immigration attorney, Jane Chung, mentioned that changing/quitting job or divorce right after issue of GC were the recent increasing cases resulting and even some cases GC were revoked.

Right after getting GC
1) Quitting job and sitting idle - makes sense to deny
2) Divorce - makes sense to deny if derived from Citizen
3) Changing jobs - from Software to Mc Donald serving burgers - makes sense to deny

Each case is different. As long as you guys are slogging and paying taxes to this inefficient government you are fine. You are an immigrant and you are allowed into this country to work hard and pay taxes or do jobs which Americans don't do.

Interesting. This seems to come from an immigration lawyer mouth, not USCIS. Not that I'm saying there are no cases like this. However, I don't think I have seen an issue in this board of people being denied for this. I would also be loathe to generalize or stereotype, but there have been quite a few fraudulent GC cases. Perhaps the cases mentioned might fall into that category. However, I don't recall anybody in this board that got laid off and had to find a new job getting in trouble during naturalization. Of course divorce soon after GC might also been looked at carefully, if the reason to obtain the GC was the marriage itself.

I used AC21 to change jobs after 180 days of 485. I got a big RFE and among other things was asked whether I was working for same comapny that originally filed the 140 or different one. My lawyer had filed AC21 when I changed jobs and responded to the RFE. 485 was approved in 3 weeks after that. So if they had an issue with that, they would deny 485 at that point and not at N400 interview. I am sure all of this will be in my A-file.

Interesting. This seems to come from an immigration lawyer mouth, not USCIS. Not that I'm saying there are no cases like this. However, I don't think I have seen an issue in this board of people being denied for this. I would also be loathe to generalize or stereotype, but there have been quite a few fraudulent GC cases. Perhaps the cases mentioned might fall into that category. However, I don't recall anybody in this board that got laid off and had to find a new job getting in trouble during naturalization. Of course divorce soon after GC might also been looked at carefully, if the reason to obtain the GC was the marriage itself.

How soon a divorce after green card could be a problem causing a green card to be revoked?
Bobsmith said 3 months for employment, how about divorce or separation?

Last edited by a moderator:
What if the country changed its government?
I said an asylee can lose their GC as a result of such a visit, not that they would automatically lose their GC for that. Whether they actually lose the GC would depend on the other relevant facts of the situation.

I used AC21 to change jobs after 180 days of 485. I got a big RFE and among other things was asked whether I was working for same comapny that originally filed the 140 or different one. My lawyer had filed AC21 when I changed jobs and responded to the RFE. 485 was approved in 3 weeks after that. So if they had an issue with that, they would deny 485 at that point and not at N400 interview. I am sure all of this will be in my A-file.
AC21 explicitly authorizes job changes prior to GC approval, but is silent on post-GC job changes. Logically one would expect such freedom would be extended to post-GC job changes, if the job change occurred after 180 days since the I-485 filing (which would be the case anyway for 99% of applicants because very few have their I-485 approved in less than 180 days).

However, immigration law is full of crap that does not follow logic. And even if we assume that a court would logically extend AC21 to the post-GC time frame, that logical extension would not include actions that are not included in AC21, such as quitting your job to stay idle, or changing from accountant to truck driver.

Hit 1 person type falling off
permanent residentship 1
people middle-school attempt civil volume application sleeping 7 people which it snatches do not pass a citizenship mind to be able, the part falling off sleeping field with the fact that neither the case where the permanent residentship is deprived from citizenship screening process wrote.
The federal emigration service country (USCIS) last 1st announced followed in March current citizenship application (N-400) control present condition which will come and until March which will come from last year October where 2009 fiscal years are started in the citizenship application 46 ten thousand 4,295 cases which USCIS controls the application where the citizenship to fall off from the citizenship minds is refused to about 13% of the whole with 6 ten thousand 1,770 people which sleep it accomplished.
Citizenship falling off 2009 fiscal years which sleep it listens and it increases on a large scale and in 4 ten thousand 6,074 people of 2008 fiscal years which pass with the fact that it increases it compares 34% or and the citizenship mind seems with the comparison to be hard to satisfy position thing and it is a position.
It falls off from a citizenship mind and until permanent residentship neither the instance which is deprived writes.
The part citizenship application sleeping field from screening process problem was discovered in permanent residentship acquisition process and family all the member was also a case where the permanent residentship is deprived and long it forgets with intention to fight crime rap sheet and it was caused by the citizenship application being refused that it is also the case which is threatened in of course stay identity it became known.
The emigration professional zein affection lawyer “stopped a job immediately after it acquires a permanent residentship with the employment emigration or the marriage back or the case citizenship refusal instance which divorces was many, until permanent residentship it is deprived it did and it talked”.
Also, the affection lawyer “it had an occupation, there was not application own tax payment record which it reveals immediately after citizenship acquiring at once,” it attached the case Edo citizenship application which expects a public material possibility [hyey] could be rejected.

What the hell is this?

Ban this thread originator!

This a huge waste of time thread from a paranoid jack *** who needs to be banned from this site. If you are insane you should hide in the closet and not spread rumors and muck up a good portal like this,, seriously.. if you are looking for some scratching your back, look elsewhere and stop spreading rumors.
Thank you