McCain-Kennedy / Cornyn-kyl bill - This Fall

Two versions of Cornyn-Kyl Bill?

A lot posts say Cornyn-Kyl Bill will increase EB quota to 190,000 and reduce EB1 and 2 to 20%.

Other say: Cornyn-Kyl Bill will not increase the overall quota however, reduce EB1 and 2 to 10%.

Who can clarify this, which version is right?

Cornyn-Kyl clarification

Cornyn-Kyl is 10% and not 20%.
If you want confirmation, go to thomas.loc.gov, search for the bill by number (S.1438) and scroll down to section 1003 (title X)

Cornyn-Kyl proposes to eradicate the diversity program (section 1001 of the bill) and add all of that (55K visas) to the employment based quota
(Note: I *think* there is a typo in the bill - in section 1001 it says numbers previously provided under sec 203(e) of the INA will now be added to EB immigrants - but diversity immigrant quota was defined in 201(e). As far as I can see 203(e) does not even talk about numbers. I am going to assume Cornyn-Kyl meant 201(e) because the rest of section 1001 of the bill talks about eradicating the diversity visa program). Experts, please comment.

.... so I guess that's where 195K (140K+55K) figure comes from.

Now.... keep in mind, according to the bill, even that 55K will NOT kick in in FY2006, only in FY2007.

Hope that helps.

LCSilence said:
A lot posts say Cornyn-Kyl Bill will increase EB quota to 190,000 and reduce EB1 and 2 to 20%.

Other say: Cornyn-Kyl Bill will not increase the overall quota however, reduce EB1 and 2 to 10%.

Who can clarify this, which version is right?

Cornyn-Kyl Bill cannot be passed -- it is anti legal immigration period.

It reduce amost 2/3 of the quota for EB1 and 2, only marginally increase quota for Eb31. And add quota stripped from Eb1 and 2 to other workers category.

Thanks for the clarification Infostarved.

Last edited by a moderator:
Is this becase of the lots of Hue and cry over the Illegal immigration from Mexico and the current administration is keen on making them somehow legal in the country(despite opposition from many inside the administration) and hence they are seeking to increase the quota in "other workers" category, which includes skilled workers but not Highly skilled (IT /Medicine /Engg fields ) ?
In which case the numbers for EB1 and 2 are going to be less than EB3 but other workers will be benefit the most. ?

So the Cornyn-Kyl Bill is not a welcome one for EB 1,2 and 3 categories
Any thoughts?

GC_DJ said:
It helps EB3 guys tremendously. It also helps Eb2 guys with the recapture of the visas from past years (at-least 60,000 visas). Let us do the math:

Current:

Total Visas = 140,000
EB3 = 140000 * .28 = 39200
EB2 = 140000 * .28 = 39200

With Cornyn Bill:

Total Visas = 190,000
EB3 = 190000 * .35 = 66,500
EB2 = 190000 * .20 = 38,000
Total Recapture = 60,000
EB3 = 60000 * .35 = 21,000
EB2 = 60000 * .20 = 12,000

Total EB3 = 66,500 + 21,000 = 87,500
Total EB2 = 38,000 + 12,000 = 50,000

Total EB3 visas gain with bill = 87,500 - 39,200 = 48,300
Total EB2 visas gain with bill = 50,000 - 39,200 = 10,800

This bill helps EB3 guys tremendously. All EB3 folks has to lobby for this bill. It do not adversly impact EB2 as you claim.

This seems good but it is not. Let me take your calculations further. 10 percent each country limit.
So Total EB3 for one country 8750
Total EB2 per country 5000
Total EB1 per country 5000
Total visas Issed per country: 18750

From post on doing math, I am pasting
Employment based visas issued for India
2004 ~38K out of 155K
2003 ~21K out of 182K
2002 ~42K out of 175K
2001 ~39K out of 179K
2000 ~15K out of 107K
1999 ~5.3K out of 56K

As you can see last few years indians were getting more than 18750. why is that so because unused visas from the same category were used to be distributed to oversubscribed countries in the same category. In new bills they are striking out that clause.

I do not think they are going to give Unused EB1, EB2 to EB3 from india, china (or any other oversubscibed country in EB3). They will go to other workers. So Actually number of visas are going to go down. This bill is a very good news for EB3 World and other workers. It is bad news for EB1,2, India and China. It will improve EB3 India and China insignificantly as the demand is so high in EB3 increase would not matter much. I would love to be wrong.

Following is the current law which is proposed to be eliminated.

5) 2/ RULES FOR EMPLOYMENT-BASED IMMIGRANTS-

(A) EMPLOYMENT-BASED IMMIGRANTS NOT SUBJECT TO PER COUNTRY LIMITATION IF ADDITIONAL VISAS AVAILABLE- If the total number of visas available under paragraph (1), (2), (3), (4), or (5) of section 203(b) for a calendar quarter exceeds the number of qualified immigrants who may otherwise be issued such visas, the visas made available under that paragraph shall be issued without regard to the numerical limitation under paragraph (2) of this subsection during the remainder of the calendar quarter.

(B) LIMITING FALL ACROSS FOR CERTAIN COUNTRIES SUBJECT TO SUBSECTION (e)- In the case of a foreign state or dependent area to which subsection (e) applies, if the total number of visas issued under section 203(b) exceeds the maximum number of visas that may be made available to immigrants of the state or area under section 203(b)consistent with subsection (e) (determined without regard to this paragraph),in applying subsection (e) all visas shall be deemed to have been required for the classes of aliens specified in section 203(b).

But Cornyn-Kyl is more logical

in terms of the ratio of EB1,2 over EB3 numbers. GC lottory removal is another logical, thus positive, thinking in this bill.
BTW, if I were the average American, I'd favour Corny-Kyl over Kennedy-McCain, who ultimately encourage illegal immigration to USA.

LCSilence said:
It reduce amost 2/3 of the quota for EB1 and 2, only marginally increase quota for Eb31. And add quota stripped from Eb1 and 2 to other workers category.

Thanks for the clarification Infostarved.

Bush's priority

Slightly dated but still relevant:
http://www.washtimes.com/national/20050727-112648-9864r.htm

Did read a few months ago that immigration was a higher priority than Social Security.

Even if the McCain-Kennedy Bill passes, I doubt if it would make it thru in it's current form. Especially helpful would be raising the visa limit from 140K to 290K AND doing away with the per-country limits.

But this both of these happening sounds too good to be true. I am unsure if McCain-Kennedy has a provision to remove per-country limits which are so debilitating. Anybody here knows?

It may pass the Senate but there are several Congressmen in the House who are opposed to these sort of provisions in the bill.

Thanks,
-msh626

The Secure America and Orderly Immigration Act (popularly known as
Kennedy-McCain bill) increases the per country limit.

See below.

TITLE VI. FAMILY UNITY AND BACKLOG REDUCTION

Section 602: (Country Limits) increases the per country limits for family-sponsored and employment-based immigrants from 7% to 10% (in the case of countries) and from 2% to 5% (in the case of dependent areas).

Timeline...

It seems that immigration reform will happen. Hopefully, sooner rather than later. Each of these bills, Kennedy-McCain(KM) and Cornyn-Kyl address the issue of visa numbers. Obviously from the standpoint of a prospective immigrant, KM is the "better" bill. However, I wonder how much legislation that is introduced gets passed without modifications(IMHO none). Last I remember, when the Schedule-A quota came up, any sort of relief for tech workers was conveniently dropped off as part of a compromise which is what politics is all about. I hope KM does NOT meet the same fate.

Then on the other end of the spectrum there are vehemently anti-immigration politicians - like T*- who if they are allowed to have their way, everybody is in trouble.

I am hoping that by December/January 2006 some legislation - good or bad - is in place and gets signed into law. Some websites have said that major reform may have to wait till the 2008 elections, which is obviously way too late for most. If a law is passed at least the uncertainty will be cleared and thousands can plan their lives in this country or their homeland.

Thanks,
-msh626

Keep dreaming guys..I think I may be the lone voice here who's reflecting reality.
In these times, repulicans will not go against the american workers by passing bills which will increase foreign workers. They cannot make the people more angry after Katrina and Rita.
They also want votes. Imagine what the public will do if they see that the politicos are reducing their wages furter by getting more people from overseas! With all the gas price hikes etc the last thing people need here is more competition which reduces their wages further.

Sorry to say the glass is half empty but it is more than half empty!!

These immigration bills are formed before the terrible visa retrogression. So, there is a chance due to the current mess, one of the bill will be passed to increase the eb quota.

"Visalaw comments most likely two bills will merge into one: compromise."

Can you paste the article? Does it also say the timeline in which the bill could be passed?

This is exactly what I fear. If there is a compromise, I hope that EB numbers should NOT remain at 140K or get reduced. 290K(or more) is required to alleviate retrogression, if not eliminate it. Per country limits need to be removed or adjusted SIGNIFICANTLY HIGHER if retrogression has to end in the near future. Else all will be stuck for 10 years.

Immigration reform does not happen every few years. Looking at past history this is a once in a decade(or more) chance for Congress to solve this problem.

Crossing my fingers...

Per Country Limit Must be Removed

Wake up guys
If Per Country limit is not removed, everything will be useless
Visa numbers will go waste

When you bring 20 apples and a box has capacity of 20 and you think only 10% of red apples should go in there, There is no logic in that

So Guys, Please Gear Up and Pressure a Lot to REMOVE THE PER COUNTRY LIMIT FOR VISA NUMBERS

MAngal Bai

I have said this before, you are just a little pawn they can move anywhere. Unless you gather 10 million dollars and the best lobbying firms and have lots of luck after that..you might as well pack your bags.
A country the size of India still has not been able to hire a good lobbying firm in DC to get all decisions in their favor. You are a radish of which field ?

hey bhagwaan

abe kuttebilli,
tu yahan bhee hai ???? tere ko kya takleef hai bhai, please baksh de bhai jaane de humko nahee chahiye tera bhashan. jahan dekho kutaabilli, hudd ho gayee yaar. Agar tere ko India itnaa hee lucrative lag raha hai, tou tu nikal le bhai yahan se. Tere ko lag raha hai wahan super sardar kee government hai, jab tere lal kacchhe waale fatke lagayenge tab pata lagega govt. kiski hai, aur India kitna progress kar raha hai.

YOu psycho...what business do you have in all threads?

catdog said:
MAngal Bai

I have said this before, you are just a little pawn they can move anywhere. Unless you gather 10 million dollars and the best lobbying firms and have lots of luck after that..you might as well pack your bags.
A country the size of India still has not been able to hire a good lobbying firm in DC to get all decisions in their favor. You are a radish of which field ?

I wont say this again...

Guys... whatever catdog's motivations are... obviously he doesnt add much value to this or any other thread. So, please, ignore him and I promise you his posts will dwindle down to a trickle.