May I have problem returning to US?

ebchan

Dear all:

I got my Green Card on June 2000. I got an offer in a big 5 consultant firm in Hong Kong and I started working in Hong Kong on Sept 2001. So I meet the requirement for the reentry permit which is staying in US for at least one year after the green card.

I applied a Hong Kong work permit and had a work permit on my passport. I plan to go back to US on Feb 2002 so that I can meet the requirement about leaving US for less than 6 months. I planned to apply reentry permit this time when I go back to US. I have two questions here:

1. since I already start working in Hong Kong, is it ok for me to apply reentry permit?

2. since the work permit is on my passport, may I have problem to return back to US?

Thanks for advance.

EC

No Title

Why is it that people are always trying to cheat the system?

Look buddy: you can\'t be a permanent resident "here" and try to get away with what you\'re doing "there."

When you return to the U.S., the first thing they\'re going to ask you is how long you\'ve been gone. When you tell them, expect to be asked why you\'ve been gone that long. If you answer truthfully, you\'ll be in trouble. If they find your HK stamp in your passport, you\'ll be in trouble. If your lie and they discover that, you\'ll be in trouble. BOTTOM LINE: YOU\'RE IN TROUBLE. You should have thought this through before trying to be so "clever" about securing your US LPR status and then running away from it.

No Title

what\'s so bad about HK that you don\'t want to be down there now? and
what was so good about HK that you took job up there then??

I would suggest that you stay where you are!

No Title

Gurus, none of my business, however I think you are hammering this poor guy for nothing. It seems to me that this more a case of ignorance than of wrong doing.

Emotional aspects left aside thanks for the information, this is very useful.

GCDreamer & JOEF

I have a question for u guys.

(a) When we get GC can we work outside USA and paytaxes to USA? My friend he got his GC and he works in Europe. His company pays taxes to US government. So, i am not sure why this would be wrong for our buddy.

there is still hope for ebchan!

if your big 5 consultant is US based, ask them to file for a N470. This should solve your problem.

No Title

I am sure most people with employment based GCs went through a lot to get where they are. it would be such a shame to lose the PR status due to ignorance of a few laws. it\'s worth giving every chance a shot - something so hard earned should not be given up that easily, I wouldn\'t. please check with your firm\'s immigration lawyers and get the N470 going. Good luck to you!

No Title

If you have nothing valuable to add to the discussion or your purpose of being here is to misinform people, maybe you shouldn\'t post at all. Or and if you are just generally pissed, go kick the wall and lay off the guy!

No Title

Look, I have been a regular contributor to these forums for several years and believe I\'ve helped MANY others along the way.

But, I don\'t have much patience for someone attempting to do something obviously illegal, which only in time makes things difficult for the rest of us because it results the INS and other agencies looking at us with even greater scrutiny.

Like MOST others, I have tried at every step of my immigration journey to be 100% certain that what I\'m doing is the correct and legal course. I don\'t have much sympathy for someone who left the U.S. under these circumstances described by the original poster in this discussion, someone who obviously didn\'t give much forethought to the consequences to such a decision. It is a privilege to be accepted into another country as an immigrant and one should never treat that frivolously.

N470 and naturalization . Qs for Joe and other gurus

form N-470 (Application to preserve residence for naturalization)can be filed after being in the US for 1 yr.When you you return to the US you have to wait 2.5 years before you can apply for citizenship.

Does This means that you only have to be resident in the US for 3.5 years to get citizenship, not the normal 5yrs

Joe and others ... Is my interpration of this right? Would appreciate yr suggestions. Thanx

No Title

Totally agree with GC Dreamer, and to add further, if someone who obtains the GC and does not really use it, then it really impacts everyone who in the pipeline. There are other *NEEDY* and *DESERVING* ppl who are waiting for the GC for YEARS !! But some ppl just want to add burden to the GC Queue. Which part of it you (=ivy) don\'t understand?

Rather ask a lawyer, Ebchan

Ebchan, there are some sanctimonious individuals on this board who will try to scare the daylights out of you for their own reasons. Rather ignore their negative comments and speak to an immigration lawyer for your own peace of mind.

No Title

What I understand is that this is an immigration forum and people come here for help. Isn\'t it enough that INS treats you like you are dirt under their feet? You don\'t even know the guy and you accuse him of fraud and every mortal sin on the basis of a short post? Every case is different, every life is different, I am sure he didn\'t post here to get your attitude, none of us do.

I am sick and tired of PRs accusing each other of being dishonest, pointing fingers. Look, we\'ve all been there, none of us had a rosy road and the least we can do is treat each other with respect.

No Title

I believe people do use common sense when they come here and ask questions. Immigration laws are a jungle and I (even though I got an impressive number of degrees) still get confused... sorry but I somehow missed my "Immigration 101" ... That\'s why I started posting here a few years back, and most of the time I managed to get help without being branded a dummy, a fraud, or have my behind otherwise kicked. That\'s why I stayed so long. I am sure that\'s why everyone else posts and that\'s why this Forum is here. Otherwise, how else all the local "gurus" would be spending their time? Imagine spending a day not posting here? Tought, no? Some come with questions, you obviously come to answer them, and most of the time you do that admirably. But again, let\'s not resort to personal insults question each other\'s level of education or intelligence and get back to business of HELPING, not slamming.

Residence in US help?

Does it help, in case, that you rent/own property in US to look more loyal to POE officer?
Thanks.