Master hearing and individual hearing

Michail

Registered Users (C)
Can somebody tell me the difference between Master Hearing and Individual hearing.
Because I have a master hearing coming up in October, and my friend has an asylum pending too, next year he has individual hearing coming up.
What is the difference between those too??
And one more question. I need a second opinion about my friend's lawyer, because I am not sure that his lawyer knows what he doing.

My friend's lawyer told him that the best way to do at the Individual hearing is to ask for a volunteraly deportation, and then within a month file an appeal. Is this a good thing to do, because it sound like bull**t to me. Why would you ask to be deported and then file an appeal?? :confused:

One more time, did anybody had that kind of experience? and what's the difference between master and individual hearing???
Thanks everybody!!!!

Master hearing:

1) The immigration judge will ask the immigrant if s/he is ready to proceed with the case or if s/he needs more time to find a lawyer. Immigration judges are usually good about giving the immigrant more time to look for a lawyer.

2) Once the immigrant has a lawyer, or once s/he wants to proceed without one, the immigration judge will ask whether the information is correct. At this point, the immigrant or lawyer should have looked over all the information carefully. If corrections need to be made, or if some information is not true, this must be communicated to the judge.

3) If the judge decides that all the information is correct and that the immigrant can be deported, then s/he will ask if the immigrant would like to apply for any form of relief from deportation. If the immigrant is not eligible for any form of relief, s/he will be ordered deported. If s/he is eligible for a form of relief and wishes to apply for it, another court date will be set.

Individual Hearing:

If the immigrant has applied for relief from deportation, a separate private hearing, called an individual hearing, will be held. At the individual hearing, the immigrant will give testimony, as well as any other witnesses s/he might provide. If the immigrant is represented, her/his attorney will ask each witness some questions. Then the immigration service’s attorney will ask questions. The immigration judge may also ask some questions. At the conclusion of the hearing, the immigration judge will either make an oral decision then or a written one at a later date

:confused: The thing is that he never applied for a relief from removal yet at his last master hearing he just showed up with a lawyer and the judge changed the hearing date to 1 year later! :confused:
And know when we call immigration court information system it says that his next INDIVIDUAL HEARING is ......

Michail said:
Can somebody tell me the difference between Master Hearing and Individual hearing.
Because I have a master hearing coming up in October, and my friend has an asylum pending too, next year he has individual hearing coming up.
What is the difference between those too??
And one more question. I need a second opinion about my friend's lawyer, because I am not sure that his lawyer knows what he doing.

My friend's lawyer told him that the best way to do at the Individual hearing is to ask for a volunteraly deportation, and then within a month file an appeal. Is this a good thing to do, because it sound like bull**t to me. Why would you ask to be deported and then file an appeal?? :confused:

One more time, did anybody had that kind of experience? and what's the difference between master and individual hearing???
Thanks everybody!!!!

First of all, you should be eligible for a voluntary departure. It depends on various factors such as the way you enetered US, why you were reffered to IJ etc. If you think you are, you can aks DHS for voluntary departure even before your hearings. Othervise, it will be IJ's prerogative to grant you voluntary departure. You can ask for it any time during your hearings. But, I can't figure out how one can appeal after getting it. What are you going to appeal? The decision you asked for? I will advise your friend to find more competent attorney.
Anyway, voluntary departure is BETTER than removal. But you should be careful with it, because some bars can apply especially if you were reffered to IJ after your asylum application was denied by Asylum Office.

Need advice. Going to be my friend's hearing witness!

I was granted asylum since 2002 and now am waiting for my GC( already sudmit the "request for evidence" form to the INS last month). I was just wondering because since I have agreed to be my friend's witness for his upcoming hearing next month, he has told me that the attorney has already opened my asylum case.( I was detained by the police back home-no report was obtained because I bribed them, but him and his lawyer wanted me to tell the judge that my country indeed detain gay people and of course going to tell the judge that the reason I don't have the police report was because I was never brought back to the police station since I bribed them). I was just wondering is it a risk for me since they will or have already opened my case and that there's a possiblity that my asylum status will be revoked??? Or is it going to slow down my GC process? Or I shouldn't be worry because I am only be the witness for his hearing? What if his case got rejected? Are they going to re-evaluate my case? Or is it better that maybe I shouldn't appear to be his witness? Worry here, please advice. Thanks!!!