Marry a visitor

us702

Registered Users (C)
Hello Friends,
I am a US Citizen and live in NY
I am planning to marry a legal visitor from India in US.
What would be the procedure for her becoming a PR after marriage?
Does she has to go back to India?
Is it legal for us to get married here while she has a visitor visa?
Please advise.
thanks,
Sanjay

It may be legal, but she may have problems later on with regard to 'intent'. My suggestion would be to get engaged here (document it), then let her go back, u file K1 (fiance visa), shld get that pretty fast, then u get here in and marry her within 90 days. I personally would advice against marriage to a visitor as the INS may later cause some hassles saying she intended to settle
in the US at the time she applied for her visa etc........ If you are keen on doing this still, please contact an attorney.

You SHOULD marry here in the US and immediately apply for her adjustment of het status. You can also apply for advance parole which will allow her to travel to India.
She will have more of a problem if the marriage does NOT occur and you later apply for Fiancee visa. This is because the consulate might interpret the intent of the previous visit was more than being a visitor and well might deny K1 visa.

I have heard from an attorney that once you marry a US citizen all 'immigration sins are wiped out'. So, I don't see a problem in getting married in the US or getting her on K3 after marriage in India (I don't recommend).

As they say, bride is here, groom is here, why wait?

Good luck!

:D :D