Married couple, permanent residents, filing for citizenship at the same time?

jefkorn

Registered Users (C)
Hi everyone,
Ok folks, I'm sort of back after a long time. Filed mandamus about five year ago and got GC for myself and my wife. My GC was employment based. There's about one month difference when both of us became permanent residents.

I know one can apply 90 days prior to the 5 year anniversary of permanent residence (in case of employment based).

Is there an advantage to to file my N-400 before her or better to file together even though that means I will be waiting an extra month or two?

I'm not up and up on the citizen application process, caveats, tips and tricks so any feedback on those line will also be highly appreciated.

Is there a most recent thread where I can come up to speed on how to be best prepared before applying for citizenship?

Last but not least wishing good to all who are stuck or waiting for their applications to be decided.

Last edited by a moderator:
If you apply together, submitting both applications in the same envelope, you increase your chances of having the interview and/or oath on the same date.

Thanks Jackolantern! So looks like it's of not much use to rush just for one month or so when applying. I noticed you are approved since July 2007, does that mean you are already a citizen by now? (of course only if you applied for it)

What's the general trend about citizen applications these days? I mean are they are taking forever like they used to 5 years ago? Does the wait times vary by where you apply?

What's the general trend about citizen applications these days? I mean are they are taking forever like they used to 5 years ago? Does the wait times vary by where you apply?

Depend on which district office, but usually it is very fast. At some DOs, it take only less than 3 months, at other DOs, it takes no more than
6 months.

Thanks WBH!

So if a field office is showing say Feb 2012 as the date they are processing N-400, does that somehow indicate that newer applications will take more than 6-8 months if today is Feb 2013? I think it's hard to do a linear mapping of these times.

Are there ways to figure the processing times out?

Also what can one do in advance to make the process go as smooth as possible?

-Get IRS tax return transcripts ready
-Fill up the N-400 in advance and file it 90 days ahead of 5 year anniversary of LPR date
-Dig out any motor vehicle department records if there was any major tickets? I had parking ticket and my wife rear ended someone but no ticket was given, no surcharge points but we files a operator incident report for insurance records.

Any others that I'm missing?

Thanks WBH!

So if a field office is showing say Feb 2012 as the date they are processing N-400, does that somehow indicate that newer applications will take more than 6-8 months if today is Feb 2013? I think it's hard to do a linear mapping of these times.

Are there ways to figure the processing times out?

Also what can one do in advance to make the process go as smooth as possible?

-Get IRS tax return transcripts ready
-Fill up the N-400 in advance and file it 90 days ahead of 5 year anniversary of LPR date
-Dig out any motor vehicle department records if there was any major tickets? I had parking ticket and my wife rear ended someone but no ticket was given, no surcharge points but we files a operator incident report for insurance records.

Any others that I'm missing?

Those timeline posted by USCIS itself is not reliable. Actual timeline is much better so don't be discouraged.

No one dislcose parking tickets so don't worry about it. If there is no ticket given in an accident, don't disclose it either.

Had a question about applying together (husband and wife). I'm thinking of attaching cover letter in addition to the N400 and basic required material (photos, copies of GC).

Should I put both applications in one enveloper but have separate cover letters? What's the best way to go about it?

Thanks

I raised this question to one of the members who successfully had this completed. He sent both in one envelope but each application was in a separate envelope itself with the cover letter.

I raised this question to one of the members who successfully had this completed. He sent both in one envelope but each application was in a separate envelope itself with the cover letter.
I did it this way, but neither me nor my wife had a cover letter. Our biometrics, interview and oath was on the same days. At the interview we found out that the same immigration officer was in charge of both of our applications, and he knew we both had to drive 1.5 hours one way to the USCIS office, so he scheduled every appointment for the same day 30 mins apart. Very nice fellow.

Konig,

Yes you are right on the cover letter. I don't think it is necessary. You guys are very lucky to have everything at the same time and even had the same IO in charge of the applications. I am planning to do that when I send in mine and wife's and hopefully get the same luck :)

Did you guys have the oath on the same day of the interview?

Last edited by a moderator: