Married after interview

kann13

Registered Users (C)
Hello,

Here is my situation. Any suggestions or answer to my questions will be greatly appreciated. I am scheduled for my interview with in the next few months. I am also engaged to someone that lives outside the US. I plan on perhaps moving out of the country after my interview and simply coming back for the Oath Ceremony.

I know that doing so should not be a problem so long as I don’t go over the required physical presence regulations. Now my question is as follows. What repercussions if any are there if I was to get married after my interview and before the oath ceremony?

Thanks in advance for your answers

Hi Kann13,

I thought i share my experience here. When i went for my interview I had just recently got married, and the Officier did ask for my Marriage certificate. In your case, my opinion is that since you plan to get married after your interview, should not matter for your oath. At the Oath cermony all they ask for is your Green card and your Oath letter.

Good Luck!

kann13 said:
Hello,

Here is my situation. Any suggestions or answer to my questions will be greatly appreciated. I am scheduled for my interview with in the next few months. I am also engaged to someone that lives outside the US. I plan on perhaps moving out of the country after my interview and simply coming back for the Oath Ceremony.

I know that doing so should not be a problem so long as I don’t go over the required physical presence regulations. Now my question is as follows. What repercussions if any are there if I was to get married after my interview and before the oath ceremony?

Thanks in advance for your answers

You are still a permanent resident until after the oath ceremony. As such, you cannot 'move out of the country after the interview' and merely come back for your oath ceremony. A vacation is one thing, but you still need to be physically residing in the US in order to be eligible for citizenship.

shahidsan said:
Hi Kann13,

I thought i share my experience here. When i went for my interview I had just recently got married, and the Officier did ask for my Marriage certificate. In your case, my opinion is that since you plan to get married after your interview, should not matter for your oath. At the Oath cermony all they ask for is your Green card and your Oath letter.

Good Luck!

Actually the Oath invitation letter has on the back a few question, including if you got married since your interview.

Not that makes any difference but you have to answer it.

Thank you for your answers. Now my question is what constitutes residing abroad. If I maintain a residence here in the states and I also have one abroad. Spend maybe a few months out of the country come back for a few weeks or a month then I go back for another month or two. That is basically what I am going to be doing regardless if I get married or not since it is what my current job is leading to.

Great thanks again for your help. I guess just to have something documented I will have my company write out a letter stating just that. Just in case it becomes an issue I will have something backed up by them. After I become a citizen extended stays or even a move abroad will not be an issue.